MP3 steering rack installed

bill harvey

:
MSP Lazer blue
well i finally got the rack put in which has a better ratio and a shorter turn lock to lock. the first thing i noticed is the heavier steering feel. which is nice. you hardly have to move the wheel to start to turn but i wouldn't recomend it for you one hand drivers. Car was already very twitchy at speed on the race track and i am sure this will make it more so.

Do you know the PN for this? My car is being repaired after being hit by someone on the highway. Steering rack may have jumped a couple teeth.

If I have the rack replaced I would like to have it replaced with the MP3 rack. Is it available new or do I need to find it used?

i like driving at highspeed. I was thinking about doing this, but now I think i'm gonna keep it how it is. On our road course we routinley hit 120+ on the straight away... I dont think i want twitchy steering at 120.

you already have a twichy car thats why it handles well and is tossable. that was just a warning for the lean back one hand gangsta yo drivers. If you drive your car on the track then i am sure you use both hands.

How much for labor? I was thinking of doing this exact same thing because I think my stock rack is damaged. If I'm going to get a new one I might as well get the superior MP3 one. Problem is, dealer quoted me over $1000 total!!!

holy crap.... its a Euro spec 323 steering rack... maybe there is someone in Europe that can help you all out. I'm sure they dont cost that much over there.

I got mine for 150 from a shop from car-parts.com shipped. labor well thats the expensive part it is a pain to change. i heard of guys paying 600 bucks for a new rack so try to find one like i did it had the tie rod ends and all so it went in as one big chunk.

Thanks bill. Yeah the $1100+ quote I got was for the rack and labor but what it all included I don't know. Plus it was for the MSP rack, not the MP3 rack which is what I'd want. I'm going to look around I guess. I'm sure as hell not paying over $1000 for a steering rack on a $15k vehicle.

i was looking at Car-parts.com. When i did the search for the MP3 rack, some results are saying "exc. MP3" Does that mean "excluding MP3"?

bill harvey said:
well i finally got the rack put in which has a better ratio and a shorter turn lock to lock. the first thing i noticed is the heavier steering feel. which is nice. you hardly have to move the wheel to start to turn but i wouldn't recomend it for you one hand drivers. Car was already very twitchy at speed on the race track and i am sure this will make it more so.

the dealership changed my rack and pinion a couple of months ago i think it made it worse. they changed it cuz i was hearing a zzz noise when i turned left and right so i popped the hood and found out that i didnt have any powersteering fluid so i filled it up and took it to the dealership the next day.they said it was from rack and pinion ... and they changed it under warranty i dont even know which one they replaced it with... my point is i dont like how the steering feels so light i was considering takin out the power steering. but now i can just do this.
btw u got a nice car man.do u have the front and rear wilwood brakes ? and i htought CP only made the front strut bar.

Back