Mp3 issue need advise

flipmode815

:
mazda, mp3, #908
So my MP3 has been in the shop for about 8months now, We are having the problem of the car running fine until it warms up it starts to bog out till it finally just dies, It will start back up but just bogs down and dies again. If we wait till its cooled down it will start right up and run fine till it warms up again, any suggestions of what is causing this?

How many miles are on the engine? Sorry, but 8 months at a shop? have they actively checked the obvious stuff? Has the ecu thrown any codes?

need a little deeper explanation of 'bogging and dying' too...Will the engine hold rpm after heated, but then simply stall when the throttle is released? Or does it make little to no power even with the throttle opened, and stalls regardless of what you do?

A condition of little to no engine power after fully heated can be caused by any number of things, even multiple different problems. First, how is the engine oil? Is it burning a lot of oil, leaking, etc? Did the shop perform a full compression test (static cylinder compression as well as a leak down test?). If the rings and/or piston walls are damaged or heavily worn, compression can plummet after heated...and the engine simply isn't going to work.

If the physical engine condition checks out, your problem is then most likely electrical and/or vacuum related. For the reasons i just posted; vacuum problems tend to become more noticeable after an engine is fully heated. Cylinder vacuum decreases as the iron block expands, especially at lower engine speeds...our computers are a little tricky with vacuum leaks, too...some will immediately cause a code to be thrown, some can go completely unnoticed by the ecu yet drastically hurt engine behavior...

As far as common issues that cause what you might be experiencing...The EGR valve is known to stick open on higher mileage engines...causing very poor idle and stalling issues with hot engines...after a while, the stuck open EGR will let carbon build up on the Idle Air Control valve (both of these are mounted to the throttle body, IAC on top, EGR underneath)...making the issue even worse in terms of idle and stalling, and quickly doubling the cost of repair. Both of these systems 'can' be cleaned after removal, but that is generally regarded as a band aid rather than a complete fix.

If you're having hesitation and problems after heated, outside of lower rpm, the problem could be a damaged MAF sensor, fuel delivery problems (failing pump, leaking injectors, etc.)...but these types of problems usually don't care about the engine temp...they'll cause noticeable issues no matter what temp the engine is at...

Sorry to be so vague...but its hard to give an exact answer without a lot more information...If you're sure the engine is in ok shape, and not burning tons of oil...i'd lean heavily towards a major vacuum leak or a completely gunked up EGR/IAC valve...

^^ I love them explanations :) everything you explained is what I was going to suggest. (iagree)

Mods list-Injen CAI, brand new exedy stage 1 clutch, fidanza flywheel, all a round billet motor mounts, Header, oil temp/pressure gauge, air/fuel gauge. that is all i can think of but pretty sure that's it. Miles roughly 80k and EGR is new, when I had the car before taking it to the shop I would press down on the throttle but it wouldn't rev up till i let go of the pedal. Guy at shop said the engine looks and sounds like new before it heats up. I will try to get more info and pass this info on to him. thnx

what af/r's are you getting? if it is a wideband.

edit: It sounds like a really bad vac leak. Have that shop do a smoke test.

Last edited:
Af gauge is just a normal auto meter gauge but is actually disconnected from power right now.

lol, it could be a narrowband (light show not much else) or a wideband that actually gives you information though. you should definitely do a smoke test on the intake.

Quick question, If the cap seal to the fuel pump located under back seat wasn't completely tight would that cause this problem? I ask because when we had replaced a fuel pump 3 screws had stripped off and we just tightened the rest as tight as we could, not sure if there is any gap or not but will check if it could be a problem.

^^its possible I guess...but i would think it would be obvious...that is a high pressure housing/filter that holds the fuel pump...the pump has to pressurize fuel up through the leading line to the engine, the other line is a return...The multiple screws that hold the sending assembly to the tank also 'squeeze' the filter housing and entire unit together iirc...

but in either case...if you're not building fuel pressure because of this, it would be leaking all over the place under the rear seat...in which case i would assume one could smell the problem immediately...those housings have failed for a lot of members, and nearly all of them reported a smell of fuel inside the car...but i guess its possible that pressure is bleeding around the housing back into the tank directly...instead of on top of it? I'm just guessing that this point, i really don't know...

but your problem does sound fuel related, so its worth getting that figured out...search around, guys have posted the screw size you need...wouldn't be a bad idea just to replace all of them for safety purposes, let alone if it actually fixes the car...

on the other hand...you're positive you don't have a binding throttle linkage or anything? that won't have any effect on engine temp, so its most likely not it...but easy to check...can you idle the car up to warm and then blip the throttle by hand at the TB? if its any different than using the pedal, something is up...

Back