Mount bolt replaced and cool EVO story.

whitey4311

:
MS3 GT Black Mica w/nav
So my buddy and I go and get our mounts serviced per the recall and we walk across the street to the Mitsubishi dealer and he gets talked into a 05' evo VIII.

He was so upside down in the MS3 since they are only 3 months old to us that he was going to get kicked in the nuts to begin with so we already knew this. No way could he get a new EVO due to zero money down and the negative equity so he had to settle for a 15k mile used one. It looked very very good for used and was very clean inside and out with no dings ect.

Ofcourse they tried talking me into buying an EVO as well but I stayed loyal to the MS3 and knew any deal would be a bad deal at this point in ownership.

All the BS talk that went on 4hrs aside I have to say I wouldnt have traded my MS3 for an EVO straight up. I was and still am pretty disappointed by how much lag there is in that car. For what ever the reason it just seems that either I dont know how to drive that car like it should be or its just not as bad ass as I held it up to be.

I stomped on it for the test drive and just couldnt get it to wake up for s*** on a rolling start or when making a slow 5mph turn. I turned the air off and reved the piss out of it and that helped but I must say I feel that side by side to my MS3 with just a CAI I am not going to be far behind if at all. Granted there has to be a driver learning curve to it as there is with every car but the power just isnt there like I thought it would be.

In the end I will be honest and say I have recently been thinking about what car I want next and not really enjoying my MS3 as much as I should have been until today. For the price of the MS3 and how bad ass it is I really appreciate it more now that I was able to drive a car that is held to be the king of bad ass and it really wasnt.

I will say that we got the EVO home and I told my friend to launch that s*** like it should be because I just wasnt seeing where it would beat my cars ass. He burnt the clutch instead of getting a good launch but finally I was able to feel some power from it as it screamed through the RPM's.

The evo from my 4-5hr encounter today just wont be something I am thinking about instead of enjoying my bad ass MS3. Our cars just have some balls in the low end and though the power drops off at 5500k its very predictable where the power is and you dont need to rev it to find its power spot.

Aside from the power oh my god does the inside scream "bad dodge"! The inside couldnt be more plain and is so ******* cheap its really apparent that all your money is in those Brembos and BBS wheels ect. The ride and cabin noise is 2x as bad as the MS3 in the least but I have to say it will out handle our car like nothing.

In conclusion if you havent drove an evo I wouldnt worry about it and if you are on the edge between it and a MS3 the 10k less price tag is a no brainer. The MS3 is a very friendly daily driver that puts a smile on your face when you want to tap into its inner beast but there arent many short comings when looking at interior stlye, ride, noise, and comfort like there are on the evo.

PS the motor mount bolt issue was done super fast and I felt comfortable shutting off the DSC and letting it rip for the first time since I have bought it. Man it suprises you to let the power out when you drive it like a slow as b**** during the week all the time. My suggestion is drive slow then every now and then let her rip and you will stay suprised, lol.

My friend sold his supercharged Bullitt mustang for an Evo and after what he thought was an impressive right in it I was like that's it? My GT put out less power than his Bullitt and after he modded the EVO I handed him his ass on a plate. They're not all that and a bag of chips. That said, they can take a helluva lot of abuse and can put out a ton of power with money pumped into them.

Yeah the Evo is sort of lame if you ask me and I was set on buying one after my MS3 or even very soon but not now, no way.

By the way before my buddy sold his MS3 we got on a 2 lame on ramp that turns to one lane at the end and I spanked his ass and the only difference is that I have a CAI and he doesnt.

EDITED by Tsunami to clear up thread

Last edited by a moderator:
on topic... man that was stupid your friend traded a new 2007 ms3 for a 2year old evo, he probably lost a lot of money! once you drive a new car off the lot it loses a lot of value

Listen to these numbers:

A used 2005 Evo 8 with nothing special just basic they "said" was listed at 29k with 15k miles on it. With that said there was no sticker in the window and this was all negotiated in words with the sales man.

His MS3 with 10k miles on it they "said" they are paying him 19,500 for it, which is BS so listen to the rest of this. By the time they were working us the mgr tried several angles with my buddy and I was the annoying friend, alomst like the wife, that the sales men hate. I asked too many questions and poked at them until they couldnt feed us any more ******* lies.

Basically what I know they did is offer him a inflated amount on his MS3 and then jack the price up of the used Evo since a new Evo was said to be 29k per the window sticker on the other side of the dealership.

What I did was let them make the deal and dig their grave on the used car then said ok well he really likes that new SE Evo out front so if you are offering 19,500 for the MS3 run the numbers for that car. Now as you can guess they started to back peddle and couldnt give me a good reason why that wouldnt work. I knew that they werent offering 19,500 since they are covering up other s*** on the deal.

Any way after he ****** my friend over and got his payment for a 84 month loan to $625 it didnt sound so bad. I looked over the spread sheet and what they did is charge for stupid sit like this tire protection gel inside the tires at $700, a extended warranty which they said was "thrown into the deal" for $2k, then had him put down 1,500. In the end he financed $40 ******* grand for a used Evo that to me doenst seem fast at all. Pretty much they had to add s*** in the deal to make profit else where and color it up to him at a low monthly. Now the 100k warranty on that car is a good idea so maybe it wasnt such a bad thing and will help resale.

In the end we are walking out and this fuckign Middle Eastern owner that looks like a pit boss has the nerve to ask my buddy to bring him the stock wheels so that the new owner has the option to choose from the Diable rims he added or the stock wheels and which ever they dont pick they will call back and he can come pick up.

I ******* laughed when they asked this and it really pissed them off since they were tired of me from the start. Funny thing is most of the deal they talked to me and not him, lol. Anyway I told my friend we will sell his stock wheels on ebay today and **** those guys since he doesnt owe them anything.

I have to say he didnt get the best deal but maybe not the worst either however the car is s*** to me and I cant understand why there is so much hype about Evos. I see the numbers on the car and always have asked how the HP is near the same as the MS3 and why its said to be so much faster. I am telling you right now from a rolling start or race his ass dont have a chance. I pushed that car the best I knew how and with my foot to the floor it wouldnt move so I had to lift my foot off and ease it in then wait for the revs to hit the power band and there was so much lag it really was disappointing.

its just faster to 60, 4 wheel drvie , ive raced an evo an a sti rolling and neither can pull in front of me at all not even the front bumper, i also did that with a bmw m3. man he got rippped big time , i was lookin into a used evo i was going to buy one wi 10,000 miles with the sun sound and leather package for $24,500 with some room to negotiate. instead i got a new ms3 gt full loaded with navigation financed the whole thing not a cent down and my payments are $495 fo 6 years. he paying $625 for 7 years. the nerve of some car dealers..... if that was my buddy i would have kicked his ass!!!..lol

Man your friend really got ripped on that deal. How does he feel about the car? Dealerships enjoy preying on impulsive buyers. I wonder if you weren't there, how bad he would've gotten gangbanged?

Your buddy should of put the stock wheel back on the car before selling it and kept the new after marker wheels to sell.
Maybe the stock wheels will sell for more on Ebay but I dont know.
He really got ripped off tho.WHo in the hell gets a 84 month loan and the price is still crazy high.

My wife has a 7yr on our Avalon but it holds it value so well that we are even with it after 3yrs. She only has 27k miles on it in 3yrs so we just talked and may go lease a nice CX-7 for the same or less.

Man I tried to tell him that I wouldnt do it but he has been going back forth on this for some time and I have talked him out of it 2x already. I just let him do what he wanted this time and tried to make sure he didnt get raped as bad as he was about to.

You know the MGR came out and said hey i got your payments to $697 then came back at $624 so it was either a sale method to make a s*** deal sound better or it was me drilling him on the numbers that he came back with something much less.

As far as the wheels I think he will get more for the stockers since they Diablos are a dime a dozen and since used not worth s***. The stockers are hard to find and the regular 3 wannabes want these wheels to make their s*** look like a MS3.

Man the car is ******* slow I cant tell you how upset I was when he test drove it. Then I drove it 2x more and still the choice for me was easy when the sales fucker tried to talk me into it. I really pissed him off and called him out on all his tricks. He gave up on me in under 15min and walked away and I jokingly said he did a good job though. He replied that if he was trying I would have bought it already, lol. What a douch bag.

For my MS3 I have NAV, GT, 100k warranty, GAP coverage, and 0 down for $503 a month for 6yrs. I figure by the time I get rid of it I will then just bring some money down for the next car to knock the negative equity off.

My poor friend I dont think realizes that his over all amt financed is $40k so no matter what he is going to get bent from here on out unless he really saves up to buy himself out of the next car. Not to mention he puts 1k miles a WEEK on his car for work.

PS I dont know a ton about turbos but I do know that a TMIC suffers heat soak but has less lag and vice versa for a FMIC. I will be going for a STI then next time around or atleast another car like the MS3 in its price range or if the Speed edition has a new car out ect. I have to say my MS3 looks like its worth more then that EVO is since the inside looks like total s***. Nothing digital at all and just s*** knobs and plastics. I think the STI looks worth its value much more thent he EVO's and I have always heard this but now know first hand.

Last edited:
Theres always a sucker like that each week that hits the lots. Anyhow, your friend probably has learned an important lesson. I wouldnt put the blame on you. In the end, he signed the contract and you did the best you could stopping him. Some learn the hard way.

Ive been pounding EVO's ever since they came out. Honestly, i would take an STI over the EVO simply because the EVO is way to rice. Ive never seen a claimed fast one, esp with the ones claiming all of the mods. Oh and one more thing, what is with those gay ass tentacle reptile looking things across the back window ledge of the EVOs? Are people convinced those actually do something?(blarf)

Haltech said:
Oh and one more thing, what is with those gay ass tentacle reptile looking things across the back window ledge of the EVOs? Are people convinced those actually do something?(blarf)

Those are called vortex generators, primarily used in aircrafts. In a technical stand point in aerodynamics they do serve a purpose, so to answer your question, they "do something". *^_^*

Well he still calls me all day saying that he figures he got a good deal but while at my Mazda dealer today looking at the CX-7 they laughed when I told them the story. They said he got hosed pretty bad.

I dont know he keeps saying that it will beat my MS3 bu I am telling him unless he launches it hard and stays shifting fast there is no freaking way. I see all the claims and hype on that car and I am truely bummed at how shity the response and acceleration was. I think by the time he hits his power band the torque in our cars will have long taken the MS3 ahead of him.

I tell you what I am out of the EVO market 100% after my test drives and experience with them.

Ps did the math and if he keeps the car he will have paid $52k for it at the end of 7yrs but even if he keeps it 2 yrs he will have paid $15k and with the fact that the financed price is $39k that means in 2yrs the amt owed will be at $24k on a car that is then 4.5 yrs old and at his milage rate over 100k miles. I question what a 100k+ mileage Evo will sell for when he at that time will owe about $24 grand.

HOLLY ****:eek:

Last edited:
Please tell me he owns the house he lives in.... He'd need to be b**** slapped if he was paying that much for a car and still renting.

tell him good luck replacing the tranny and clutch very soon. my friends died out at 9000 miles and he didnt even beat on the evo

WOW, no offense dude, but is there a crayola crayon stuck up your friends nose by any chance? how can you be so stupid? seriously...

Not too mention the VIII arent even that fast, in fact, from a roll, I think the MS3 can beat it.

Also, besides the fact he got raped on bying a two year old car by that much, the car he bought is unreliable itself, not to mention the probabilities it got beat the s*** out of, unlike a regular non rally inspired vehicle. I beat the crap out of my last mazda3, i pay for a 40 dollar INTENSE car wash before i went to the dealers for a trade in value...that car look like NEW...boy if they would know what I did to it...Got a prtty good price for it.

As some already said, the clutch on the EVOs is sh1t and it costs a bundle to replace!!

Now THAT was a stupid vehicle purchase! i bet the dealer is laughing all the way to the bank on that one ha ha ha

whitey4311 said:
Ps did the math and if he keeps the car he will have paid $52k for it at the end of 7yrs but even if he keeps it 2 yrs he will have paid $15k and with the fact that the financed price is $39k that means in 2yrs the amt owed will be at $24k on a car that is then 4.5 yrs old and at his milage rate over 100k miles. I question what a 100k+ mileage Evo will sell for when he at that time will owe about $24 grand.

HOLLY ****:eek:

haha, yeah when I did the math myself on that 84 month loan it was easy to see how bad he got hosed. The interest rate must've been crazy.

Well now he is making fun of me that he has a better car and a great deal so I will just watch and see what is to come of all this.

According to KBB.com that fuckiing Evo is worth 17k with 100k miles on it. I can not believe that it holds value that much but if the numbers dont lie he just may do ok if he gets rid of it at about 80k miles or so.

All that aside he swears upon watching videos on the net and going to the Evo forums that they are bashing the MS3 and saying that though the MS3 keeps up they beat it every time. I looked at the 5-60 numbers on that car and its a horrible 6.8 seconds but the 0-60 is like 5.0 or at best 4.8. Screw the numbers I drove it and its slow as s*** from any rolling punch of the throttle.

According to KBB the used Evo he bought is worth 30k and he paid 29k then had to add the 5500 negative from the MS3 and the BS they tacked on to the Evo like the permaseal tires and warranty s*** which brought it up to 39k. If he gets rid of it in 3yrs he will owe about 17k or so on it and it should be worth about that according to KBB. Now that doesnt make sense to me but I cant argue with what KBB is saying and he has a point.

I wouldnt have done the deal but now he is making it not sound so bad with the numbers. Now again I hate the car and wont ever buy one after driving it since it felt so slow and bad.

As for the owning a house comment actually here in California you dont want to be buying a house any time real soon. As a matter of fact those who bought with in the last 2yrs are bent over on them and owe money. I am a renter as well with my wife and child but its the best deal for the way the market is at this time over here. Houses are flying up daily and not selling so it will turn around here pretty soon and be the right time once again now that the 30% inflation is over with.

seriously what an idiot...

i feel bad for the guy, i really do...its like those poor people in 3rd world countries that are ignorant cuz of the lack of education and all that...they aint going anywhere, but you cant help to feel sorry for them cuz you know that if they wouldve had good education they couldve become something. Oh well, his lost.

Latest posts

Back