Most PITA HU install ever...

vaMP5er said:
I have that same HU. I used a metra wiring harnesds and had no trouble at all (except for the rattling, which I fixed with a backstrap).

You didn't run the extra power wire to the battery? Hmm... I probably didn't have to especially since I'll rarely be using the built-in amplifier, and even then it will only be to power the rear speakers. Just gotta get these components in :D

Working on my amp rack today. Hopefully I'll get some pics :D

Well... I got the base of the false floor almost done. Just need to trim it up a bit and make it so the spare tire is accessible.

vaMP5er said:
I have that same HU. I used a metra wiring harnesds and had no trouble at all (except for the rattling, which I fixed with a backstrap).

BACKSTRAP?! WHAT? Where'd u get that or what did you make it from and how did you use? Any pics of this here strap?

Most head units come with a metal strip about 8-12" long. There is a hole on the back of the unit that you can thread a screw into to secure one end of the strip. The other end you fasten to something metal behind the dash to hold the weight of the head unit. You can bend the strip if necessary.

Its not easy to do because you need to get behind the unit while it is installed to do the fastening. It would be even harder to get a picture. The added advantage is that once fastened, your stereo will not come out should a thief break into your car, or at least it will take added effort.

Yea I imagine putting a backstrap on would be a pain... is the Mazda part one easier to do?

I've been working more and been busy, so I haven't got any more done yet. I'll get some pictures soon though :D Plus I need to DESIGN my plan before I do anymore... lol. Improvising doesn't working too well.

Thanks Demonic-Speed

Adire Audio Koda 10 = ordered :D w00t. I need to get my speakers and ish installed pronto :)

khaosman said:
Okay you guys convinced me to try the stock one out :D I'm definitely pulling the battery before I do that though.

Yea I use the crimp on snow cap things for small gauge wires in HU stuff... I don't think I'd trust it on bigger wires though :)

The alpine decks with the v-drive amps REQUIRE their own constant 12v source from the battery.... i think the wire is 10ga. I tried running my 9815 HU off of the 12v that was already there and at higher volumes the deck would dim and turn off, ran a new wire like the manual says and it works perfect. My friends 9813 in his saab, same thing we had to run a 10ga wire.

DeanSweet said:
you need the MP3 OEM Mazda part number is: TA06-66-9B1 Bracket. Should be like $13... that and a few clips/screws. Not to offend you but hopefully you do know that running and 8ga wire to the 10ga wire to your head unit was a big waste of time, right? And let us know what you are going to use your 0/1ga cable on and maybe we could let you know how big of a cable you actually need? There is a science involved here. Too little and too much is bad.

These clips and screws you speak of, what do they look like? Or if by chance, does anybody have pics of them? Just got the bracket yesterday and didnt come with the hardware. Are these parts easliy gotten at lowes or something? I sure hope so cuz the guy there said they didnt sell them. Needless to say, I was not too happy to hear that.

More new stuff! Installed my Alpine iPod controller dealy today. I installed the box in the glove compartment and the iPod itself hangs out in the pocket below the cd player. It works pretty well although the interface could be a bit better... oh well. Good stuff :D

so that ipod controller is no good? i was thinkin about gettin an alpine HU just so i could get the ipod controller and use my new photo ipod in the car. whats crappy about it? what could be better?

pb4ugoout said:
so that ipod controller is no good? i was thinkin about gettin an alpine HU just so i could get the ipod controller and use my new photo ipod in the car. whats crappy about it? what could be better?

Eh... I hope I didn't make it sound bad! It is awesome man :D

Controlling it is a lot easier than I thought, I am used to it after about 30 minutes. Basically, you hit a button (1,2, or 3) then the folder button to search. 1 does playlists, 2 does artists, 3 does albums. The only downside is that you can't scroll fast like on your iPod... kind of tough to explain.

You can fix this by organizing your music better... put stuff you listen to a lot into playlists and what not. That helps a ton.

Other than that, it is sweet. It shows all the nifty song information, lets you fastforward, charges your iPod, and switches quickly.

:D

Got the Koda 10 but haven't played with it yet. I see what you guys mean about the pocket rattling... grrr that is annoying.

Back