2017~2024 More luxury wanted..

Read it however you please.
Not sure what you're referring to so, I'll just comment on both.
Rearview + plus Radar Assist. My "situational awareness"? I walk...to my car. I asses my situation before even getting in my car. In my driveway? I know the situation. I know when to slow down (moving past my home). I'm only moving a few miles an hour. Hell, I posit that I can see better with my camera, then you can with mirrors. The second the ass end of my car clears the house in the right part of my driveway I can see farther to the left and right using that camera then you can with mirrors. That's just a fact. This IMPROVES my situational awareness.
Not to even mention the section of street at the corner in my hood. There's a section of street that is all head in angled parking in the side of the street. Previously, in my backup camera less car, it was always a little unnerving backing into the street, especially if a bigger vehicle is next to you. In the CX-5? It's like having eyes in the back of your head. Especially with the radar. Again, camera trump's mirrors by a huge margin in the scenario.
Blind Spot Mirrors (which Volvo calls BLIS -Blindspot information system). I call it bliss, too. I would argue these are exceptional driving aids. I got situational awareness in spades with these bad boys. You do have them, right? How can you NOT see the advantage in the scenario I explained earlier? I'm doing 75 on the freeway. You're doing 60. I move to pass you on the left. You get into my blind spot, I lose sight of you, but my bliss light comes on. I know you're still there. As I pull away from you I look to my mirror....you know that's where the bliss is, of course. I see you start to show up in my mirror. Lights still on though. Now I can fully see your car, yet the light has not gone out. This tells me if I move in front of you right now, it's probably not safe. The light goes out, I move over. This isn't safer to you?
Obviously, I still use my head to look out the window when in "normal" driving mode. But bliss is fantastic for passing.

Right...

So you seem to be a little fuzzy on the definition of situational awareness. Let me use the BSM as an example. An experienced driver is basically constantly taking stock of what is happening around them at all times while expecting the unexpected. In a highway situation, you just keep track of the cars around you by keeping an eye on all three of your mirrors (Not all at once, but by scanning. This should have been addressed in Drivers Ed.). You keep track of which cars are coming up on you fast, which ones you are passing, etc. and you should know if you saw a car coming up, but never passing you. That car is most likely in your blind spot. The BSM system is a safety feature that is meant to be a check for that off chance that you are a little distracted and it helps avoid an avoidable collision. But hey, if you're a person that NEEDS lights and beepers to avoid accidents, then please never ever own a car without them.

And yes, you can see "better" with the backup camera than you can with mirrors. Thank God I have a neck that allows my head to turn. Both the camera and the mirrors are two separate versions of tunnel vision. The sensors that tell you a car/pedestrian/cyclist are very useful. Your very specific example of backing up next to a large truck is probably the best argument for the system. However, the way you talk about it "I barely look around anymore" makes it sound like you just throw it into reverse and expect the sensors to be your eyes at all times. This will work MOST of the time, if you don't mind being an asshole. A car far enough away will not be picked up on the sensors. I saw it happen just this morning. I could have backed out and they would have had ample time to stop, but I could clearly see them and it would have been rude to back out at that point. Now what if they were speeding? Might have been a different story if I just started backing out without looking.

All these safety features are great, and I'm glad they exist because it's becoming painfully obvious how many people suck enough at driving to rely on them. But I am an old man (35) and have been driving nearly 20 years without any of these and have yet to have an accident as a result of not having them. All of my accidents were a result of sucking at driving in a different way. (lol2)

It really isn't that helpful though IME.

To each their own :)

I found it useful in the rental cars I have had that curved the lines.

That's not to say I don't like my Mazda's though. I do and find it very useful. The curvy lines are not a big deal.

So you seem to be a little fuzzy on the definition of situational awareness.
Uh, no. Crystal clear on that.
An experienced driver is basically constantly taking stock of what is happening around them at all times while expecting the unexpected.
You're "old" @ 35? lol That's YOUNG around here, sonny. I am quite a bit older then you.

But hey, if you're a person that NEEDS lights and beepers to avoid accidents, then please never ever own a car without them.
Show me where I even IMPLIED that. These are tools that assist me to make even better decisions then I already make. I wish some of the douchebags that cut me off on the freeway had BLISS and use it like I do. There'd be a lot less road rage.

] This will work MOST of the time, if you don't mind being an asshole.
LOL OK, man...

All these safety features are great, and I'm glad they exist because it's becoming painfully obvious how many people suck enough at driving to rely on them. But I am an old man (35) and have been driving nearly 20 years without any of these and have yet to have an accident as a result of not having them.

I had already been driving 10 years before you got your license. 0 at fault accidents.
I really thought you were older then me with your "back in my day" and "these kids and their technology" attitude. ;)
"My head swivels"...lol really?

Did I mention I'm also blind in one eye? Yea... don't question my driving skills young'n. :D

/edit/ I'm ******* doomed. This is like the 4th time I've mentioned my awesome driving record. I am so crashing this winter. :(

Last edited:
This. Frankly I don't care one bit for this move towards "luxury". It's losing sight of not only style (just not a fan of new CX-5 style), but just the simplicity and enjoyment of engaged driving.

Thanks for carrying the MikeM torch:)
7- totally agree on the BLIS mirrors they're awesome and one of those things I wouldn't want to be without and my 45k X1 doesn't have:( speaking of..
GJ- My N20 engine called, said you're full of crap and despite owning and loving my 128 6MT (N52) for 6+ years I happen to agree with it.
ZF 8 speed? Meh best tranny they ever made is a manual (which I miss) and think Mazda's 6 speed AT is just as good or better.
Young guy, 5 series I'm thinking drugs or wannabe player tool but I guess you got a good deal and I like the M inspired wheels.

Right...

So you seem to be a little fuzzy on the definition of situational awareness. Let me use the BSM as an example. An experienced driver is basically constantly taking stock of what is happening around them at all times while expecting the unexpected. In a highway situation, you just keep track of the cars around you by keeping an eye on all three of your mirrors (Not all at once, but by scanning. This should have been addressed in Drivers Ed.). You keep track of which cars are coming up on you fast, which ones you are passing, etc. and you should know if you saw a car coming up, but never passing you. That car is most likely in your blind spot. The BSM system is a safety feature that is meant to be a check for that off chance that you are a little distracted and it helps avoid an avoidable collision. But hey, if you're a person that NEEDS lights and beepers to avoid accidents, then please never ever own a car without them.

In the brief moment between checking my blind spot and initiating a lane change, I've had cars fill the empty spot, especially in heavy traffic or in the zipper merge zones of highway interchanges. Blind spot monitoring can help there. Another possible argument in favor of blind spot monitoring is that you don't have to look over your shoulder to check your blind spot. Not sure I trust the systems enough yet to skip the head check, but we'll get there. The problem with the head check is that it takes your eyes away from what's in front of you for 1-2 seconds. On my commuting route, a lot can change in 1-2 seconds.

A few years ago, I was commuting home from work on a packed highway, going about 70 in the left lane, everyone following pretty close as is standard practice around here. I spotted brake lights about 100 yards up, and immediately checked the lane to the right to see if it was clear to move over. It wasn't. And in the second or two it took to check, the driver in front of me had panic braked and stood his car on its nose. By the time I had swiveled my head back forward I was an instant away from a hard rear ending. I instinctively swerved hard left, flying into the grassy median and just barely missing his bumper, somehow managed not to get sideways, and swerved back into the left lane ahead of the panic braker. It was a close call that might have been avoided with blind spot monitoring (especially on a HUD) or autonomous emergency braking. I've also had some close calls due to debris in the road where suddenly the cars in front of me are braking and swerving with no warning.

It used to be that rear endings on the highway were almost a daily occurrence on my commute. It's gotten a bit better recently, and that probably has something to do with better safety tech. I expect it will get better still. Especially with autonomous braking.

And yes, you can see "better" with the backup camera than you can with mirrors. Thank God I have a neck that allows my head to turn. Both the camera and the mirrors are two separate versions of tunnel vision. The sensors that tell you a car/pedestrian/cyclist are very useful. Your very specific example of backing up next to a large truck is probably the best argument for the system. However, the way you talk about it "I barely look around anymore" makes it sound like you just throw it into reverse and expect the sensors to be your eyes at all times. This will work MOST of the time, if you don't mind being an asshole. A car far enough away will not be picked up on the sensors. I saw it happen just this morning. I could have backed out and they would have had ample time to stop, but I could clearly see them and it would have been rude to back out at that point. Now what if they were speeding? Might have been a different story if I just started backing out without looking.

My wife's new ride has rear cross-traffic monitoring. When backing out of parking spaces in a busy lot, the system frequently picks up crossing traffic sooner than my eyes do, because my eyes can't be looking everywhere at the same time.

In general, I think driver aids increase situational awareness.

Last edited:
/edit/ I'm ******* doomed. This is like the 4th time I've mentioned my awesome driving record. I am so crashing this winter. :(

7, don't jinx yourself like with that traffic ticket a few months back!

LOL! Just how I feel. There's a reason you're getting a lot of people nit-picking features these days, some of which are incredibly minor. Just drive dammit.

Edit: Safety features are one thing. I love having BSM and a backup camera. Things like a pano roof are something else, and something I am just fine without considering our hail storms. I don't need my car to make me chai lattes while I am driving.

I guess I just really love throwing on some tunes and just driving. Driving is when I get to sit down with my thoughts all while enjoying the drive and the scenery. (drive2)

And I don't see myself in a luxury vehicle. Years from now when it comes time to replace the CX-5, not sure what I'll do. Mazda is sorta losing what attracted me to it in the first place. Sure still has mostly the same driving feel, but the styling change in 2017 in an attempt to move "up-market", just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
To be clear, driver aids are great to aid the already good driver. I just get very wary when people talk about them as if they are the only possible way to drive when we have clearly gotten along without them for a long while. If someone is harping on how much better a backup camera is compared to mirrors, it seems to imply that turning your head isn't an option. And yes, I've been in plenty of heavy traffic situations where you are trying to keep your eyes forward and constantly monitoring blind spots the "old fashioned way" is tricky. Yet I've managed to never NEED BSM in these situations.

And I thought 35 was young, too. That was until I read about people griping because a CX-5 didn't have predictive lines on the rear camera, an automatic power lift gate, or Android Auto/Apple Carplay. And before I got into a 2017 without realizing it didn't have a CD player and being shocked by such an omission. But like I said, I guess I'm just a bumpkin.

And I thought 35 was young, too. That was until I read about people griping because a CX-5 didn't have predictive lines on the rear camera, an automatic power lift gate, or Android Auto/Apple Carplay. And before I got into a 2017 without realizing it didn't have a CD player and being shocked by such an omission. But like I said, I guess I'm just a bumpkin.

26 here. 35 is still young :)

I am not griping about predictive lines. Just more wondering why they have them in European CX-5's and not here. Same could be said for a number of features. Better example would be the little dial to close the center vents. We don't have them, I think Australia does? Or maybe it was Canada? (Don't recall who has them)

But in the end, don't really care. I just enjoy driving mine :)

To be clear, driver aids are great to aid the already good driver.
In agreement.

But like I said, I guess I'm just a bumpkin.

Damn bumpkins. :D But also agree. I was annoyed when people said we needed the automatic liftgate. Now some wants handsfree? I think it's time for these people to just get the Escape already. It is a nice car!

The rear radar thing can be annoying sometimes. I've never once had a close call with that thing. It often picks up cars like on the other side of a median that couldn't interfere with me if it tried! It's crazy!

I drive a BMW crossover now and I would LOVE that level of luxury in a CX-5 but that would mean some serious upgrades and that cost would surely be passed along to the consumer.
People now cringe at paying $36k for "a Mazda"
Can you imagine a CX-5 with a $45,000 sticker price and out the door cost of $50k?! I just don't see anyone willing to pay that because at that price point they'll simply say, "well, for a few bucks more I can have an Audi, bmw, etc"

exactly

Of pano roof, bendy backup lines, on board nav w/traffic, comfort access, ZF 8 speed w/paddles, sport leather seats with memory and 3 lumbar positions, HK stereo upgrade, HID lights...all things my X1 has

The last 2 are the only ones that I'd pay for and maybe seats but in a Mazda you don't have to although I think bmws have sport seats std now too but the new X1 (and virtually all unordered BMWs on lots around here) is missing a key E84 feature of mine.. RWD! Bye BMW- your EPS is garbage!

Last edited:
Of pano roof, bendy backup lines, on board nav w/traffic, comfort access, ZF 8 speed w/paddles, sport leather seats with memory and 3 lumbar positions, HK stereo upgrade, HID lights...all things my X1 has

The last 2 are the only ones that I'd pay for and maybe seats but in a Mazda you don't have to although I think bmws have sport seats std now too but the new X1 (and virtually all unordered BMWs on lots around here) is missing a key E82 feature of mine.. RWD!

BMW and Audi (and VW) charge a grip load just to get HIDs/LEDs hence to plentiful halogen German lux cars on US Streets. Meanwhile Mazda has projectors (good cutoff as well) stock and LEDs come bundled in much more affordable packages. A reason why GTs have high intake rates.

I am not griping about predictive lines. Just more wondering why they have them in European CX-5's and not here. Same could be said for a number of features. Better example would be the little dial to close the center vents. We don't have them, I think Australia does? Or maybe it was Canada? (Don't recall who has them)

I know, right? Technically, I'm considered a Millennial. I should be the one griping about lack of tech on the car. But I'm also supposedly killing the car industry while living off of a trust fund. It's really hard to keep up.

BMW and Audi (and VW) charge a grip load just to get HIDs/LEDs hence to plentiful halogen German lux cars on US Streets. Meanwhile Mazda has projectors (good cutoff as well) stock and LEDs come bundled in much more affordable packages. A reason why GTs have high intake rates.

I was actually thrilled when I figured out my 2014 had Halogen lights. HID is cool and all, but expensive if/when it fails, not to mention the troubles people have had with the LED DRL's. Simple halogen bulbs work great, are inexpensive, available everywhere, and can be replaced in a parking lot in minutes.

In agreement.

Damn bumpkins. :D But also agree. I was annoyed when people said we needed the automatic liftgate. Now some wants handsfree? I think it's time for these people to just get the Escape already. It is a nice car!

The rear radar thing can be annoying sometimes. I've never once had a close call with that thing. It often picks up cars like on the other side of a median that couldn't interfere with me if it tried! It's crazy!

I will say that the car is a good mix of tech/familiarity for me. I can ignore what I want to and still enjoy the perks. Even if I feel like the sensors are overkill, I do hope they ultimately make the roads safer for everyone.

I was actually thrilled when I figured out my 2014 had Halogen lights. HID is cool and all, but expensive if/when it fails, not to mention the troubles people have had with the LED DRL's. Simple halogen bulbs work great, are inexpensive, available everywhere, and can be replaced in a parking lot in minutes.
Yep! Very happy I went with a base Touring and not a GT.

Love the stuff my Touring has. Much more than that is too much for me.

7- totally agree on the BLIS mirrors they're awesome and one of those things I wouldn't want to be without and my 45k X1 doesn't have:( speaking of..
GJ- My N20 engine called, said you're full of crap and despite owning and loving my 128 6MT (N52) for 6+ years I happen to agree with it.
ZF 8 speed? Meh best tranny they ever made is a manual (which I miss) and think Mazda's 6 speed AT is just as good or better.
Young guy, 5 series I'm thinking drugs or wannabe player tool but I guess you got a good deal and I like the M inspired wheels.

Thanks man! Yea I got the car for too good of an offer to pass up. I bought this those wheels with pilot super sport tires off a 335i owner for like $1500, thought they suit the car really nicely and winter tires on my original rims for $500, just scoring deals everywhere i go with this car. Ive already modded the exhaust with a secondary cat delete and magnaflow muffler.

BMWs 6 speed manual is a very good transmission. Ive driven a few and it feels great with an M performances shifter installed. Mazdas 6 speed auto (and manual) is also great stuff.

The N20 seems like a decent engine, but I have hear dof so many failed timing chain guide issues with that engine. Thank god i cheaped out and went for the NA 5 series over the 2012 turbo because Im out of warranty now and conveniently at the mileage where i would need a new timing chain if I had the n20. Cant and wont shell out $5000 to fix that especially considering the N52 doesnt have such a problem.

The 8 speed auto is an absolutely brilliant transmission. If you thought Mazdas 6 speed is good, this thing is even better. I love how the inline 6 works alongside the ZF, perfect pairing.

My Honda Pilot has the predictive lines and I changed it so it just showed the straight lines. Found I was able to place the vehicle better with that setup. I could have easily clipped vehicles if I had been just looking at the camera when backing into spots and trusting the predictive lines. Those owners should be thanking me that I still use my mirrors and look around as well :D I believe our CX-5 does not have the dial to close the centre vents but I'll have to confirm that later when the vehicle is here. Australia gets a lot of features on their CX-5's than we do, but then again, Mazda is one of the top sellers there.

Back