Mods for low end torque

Gasological

:
'03 MSP #493
Hey guys, I've been thinking about my modding plans lately, and I realize that mostly its just for improving daily driving, and I don't run it up to 5500rpm for daily driving.

So I'm wondering, what have you guys thrown in that get good gains in the 2000-4000 rpm range on an MSP?

Some aftermarket intake with a quality filter and check out Protege Garage or SLS Performance for either a 2.5" catted or catless midpipe or j-midpipe. This will allow the engine to breath better and the turbo to spool quicker.

I was planning on the Vibrant with a 3in DP anyway (cmon SLS, start making those from the jigs....). Probalby the PG intake mani as well, just wondering if I had missed something in my ruminations.

intake mani is more for top end, you will probably lose some top with that.

i dont know your mods but, get a smic upgrade (prevent heatsoak), and hardpipes. Gettting a FMIC will cool better but the added piping will add to the latency of throttle response.

By upgrading to a 3" exhaust you give up backpressure, while this is good for the turbo this is bad for low end tq. stick with a 2.5" system (corksport is nice). so free up the exhaust but not too much.

air intake will help it breath a bit but not so necessasary but if u get hard pipes it will look alot better.

You may want to post your $$$ limit and expectations as you can see there are many options! I would say at stock boost mid-pipe aftermarket intake with K&N and a shortshifter really tightens up the shifts. That's under $500!

for starters
catless midpipe AND corksport s-pipe
lightweight crank pulley
intake

round 2
smic
some sort of EMS
light weight wheels

round 3
upgrade to full 3" exhaust
hardpipes
9psi

Well, I've been slacking on throwing my list in my sig. So far I've got hardpipes installed with HKS SSQV to kill the turkey, a CustomMSP SMIC is waiting for sunday to get installed, and I've swapped out my motor mounts for SLS ones. Kartboy short shifter (I think, haven't seen different ones in person) was installed by previous owner, as were Kazera KZ-V wheels. They're wrapped in Blizzaks at the moment, I'm just gonna wear the rubber out and get some new tires once they're done (don't want to spend the $$$ on new wheels and tires, just tires).

I'd like to keep the future installs down to like $1-2k, but I know I'm getting hooked on this s***.

id do this. (omitting hardpipes and smic)

- 2.5" Exhaust (i recommend corksport) (including the J pipe, s wont matter for what u want)
- Split second AFC
- 9 PSI
- Air Intake

I think you will be very happy with throttle response. Just remember the more back presure you release the more low end you loose.

you need something to tune the afr. You probobly would be happy with a well tuned stock everything else msp. Stock ECU runs the motor very rich. The rest is just a waste of money IMO if you arent even going to go over 5500RPM.

A used unichip would be the way to go I think. Pretty plug and play and the 1bar spike at low rpms should be all the torque you need.

id do this. (omitting hardpipes and smic)

- 2.5" Exhaust (i recommend corksport) (including the J pipe, s wont matter for what u want)
- Split second AFC
- 9 PSI
- Air Intake

I think you will be very happy with throttle response. Just remember the more back presure you release the more low end you loose.

i concur. you'll be extremely happy with that, and the car will be very peppy. make the intake as short ram.

for the exhaust -- you could go for the corksport or SLS perf. J-midpipe and that should be sufficnient. 2.5" piping...

my current mods are close to you. I would recommend getting the unichip. PnP installation. Probably even get the vibrant exhaust. Well worth the cost, btw.

Nearly free mods:
Spring on WGA (2psi)
Poking out the cats (free)
or a custom local testpipe ~$50.

Stock airbox is fine. you can chop the side facing the fender for a little
more flow and sound, add a K&N drop in ($35)
There you go. Less than $100 and you picked up atleast 20whp.
Next should be an intercooler fmic or smic ~500 whatever way you choose. Then an AFC $385.

All in all you can have a great daily driver MSP for around $1K in mods.

I have to disagree with the rest being a waste.

The stock smic heatsoaks after 10 mins, even if u dont race around, heat kills hp. the exhaust is way to restrictive on the turbo. On mine it was causing the turbo to squeel cause its working it so hard, so i replaced just the mid pipe, as a test, and the the squeel went away and the car livened up. At the very minimum he needs a mid pipe. If he doesnt like loud he can do what i did and get the corksport and use the stock muffler, works great. Ive had every piggy for this car and the AFC is a far superior product out of the box.

you need something to tune the afr. You probobly would be happy with a well tuned stock everything else msp. Stock ECU runs the motor very rich. The rest is just a waste of money IMO if you arent even going to go over 5500RPM.

A used unichip would be the way to go I think. Pretty plug and play and the 1bar spike at low rpms should be all the torque you need.

Last edited:
Thats what I was figuring, an AFC, get a WB for later tuning with further upgrades, if it comes to that.

That, and the AFC is nice because, well, I'd like to save at least a little cash where I can.

Latest posts

Back