Mobil1 Extended Performance M1-108A vs. Wix 57002 oil filters

Mobil1 Extended Performance M1-108A vs. Wix 57002 oil filters

Has anyone ever been told WHY we in the USA can not get the Japan PE01-14-302 anymore ? Like the official reason. It was the factory filter on my June 27, 2017 built CX-5.
Your factory oil filter is the newer PE01-14-302B but the Japanese oil filter we used to get is PE01-14-302A. The reason why we can no longer get best-quality Japanese oil filter? Cost!

Actually there's a newer PE01-14-302B oil filter in Japan used in 2017 CX-5. Not sure if this revised "B" version Japanese made oil filter would be available in the US?

attachment.php

View attachment 216907

There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan.
Best quality by visual comparison.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
"Value" line OEM maintenance parts.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

I have chose to use 1WPE-14-302 and not use PE01-14-302A-MV since we can not get a real Japan filter anymore in the USA . Anyone else want to share their opinion between those two ?

Mazda OEM Oil Filters

I have chose to use 1WPE-14-302 and not use PE01-14-302A-MV since we can not get a real Japan filter anymore in the USA . Anyone else want to share their opinion between those two ?
Yeah I have all 3 different Mazda OEM oil filters in hand and have compared them carefully. I believe Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A is the best made oil filter for SkyActiv-G. I bought all left-overs of Japanese-made Mazda oil filters from Med Center Mazda last year. After about 12 years when I ran out Japanese filter, I'd use the second-best Thai made 1WPE-14-302 Denso filter. Mexican made PE01-14-302A-MV "Value" filter is good, but that's my last choice among all 3 OEM oil filters. Here's an old post with more details on these three with links to cut-open reviews:

The guy in video apparently doesn't know too much about Mazda SkyActiv-G engines. He cut open a Thailand-made 1WPE-14-302 Mazda OEM filter but kept wondering why there's no oil left inside the filter, and why he didn't see an anti-drainback valve! The oil was all gone because there's no ADBV. And the oil filter for SA-G is mounted baseplate up hence it doesn't need ADBV! Further, we can see an o-ring on the side of by-pass valve touching center core of the filtering media, how is it possible it would be leaking unfiltered oil commented by the guy? This's a perfect example of false information easily be found on the Internet!

Here are several links of info from Bob is the Oil Guy on all 3 Mazda OEM filters been cut open with pictures:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

All of them looked excellent after many thousand miles of service including the Mexican made one. So Lbear, don't bother looking for unknown aftermarket oil filters, just go get OEM. Yeah, Mazda did go cheap discontinued Japanese oil filter and outsourced to other manufacturers. But oil filters made by those manufacturers still have to meet the required specifications given by Mazda. You can always get the Denso one if you ask for it at dealer's parts department with 1WPE-14-302 part number. They can always order one for you if they don't have it in stock. Remember even the Mexican made OEM oil filter is excellent according to the cut-open result.

BTW, 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand is most likely made by Denso as it's physically different in size comparing to PE01-14-302A from Japan made by Tokyo Roki. Some claim PE01-14-302A-MV from Mexico is made by Wix but someone had cut open both Mazda "Value Products" PE01-14-302A-MV and Wix 57002 and found they're definitely different.

Back