Mishift and Rev limiter

dectk06

:
Mazda, MS3 Silver Sport
So from what I've been reading mishift is not protected by the rev limiter. The rev limiter kicks in only when you are accelerating i.e. you are accelerating and you hit 3rd gear and you give gas until you hit the redline and the engine won't rotate faster than, let's say, 8000 rpm; however, if you are going 65 mph and accidentally downshift to 2nd gear instead of 4th, the rev limiter can't do s***, right? Is this correct?

That's exactly what happened to me tonight. I downshifted to 2nd at 65 mph. The car jerked forward and I panicked. The car seems to run fine, but what kind of damage could I have done?

How should I assess the potential damage?

yeah, if you broke it, most likely it wouldnt be running right.. itd be knocking or something like that.

consider yourself lucky.
Be more careful.

Mechanically over-reving your engine can cause your timing belt to skip or break thus causing bent valves, big booms, stuff like that. The rev limiter is only a fuel cutoff device, not an actual mechanical limiter, so it won't do anything if you downshift while going too fast. Usually, the synchros will try to keep this from happening, but that can be overcome by sheer force or if the speed is close to being able to be in that gear.

If you caught it quick enough, the engine should be fine. Just keep an eye on it :)

How did you even get your shifter into 2nd at 65 doesnt 2nd max out at like 55 mph? Like Daeron said you should not be able to do that, unless you are really trying to do just that. But yeah if something got bent, you would know by now

Back