misfire under boost, no MIL, multiple sets of plugs- HALP!

Preferio

I break stuff.
Contributor
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 1660, 2004 Winning Blue RX8, 2005 Mazda6
I developed a misfire only when under boost, but the ECU wouldn't pick it up and cause a MIL, so even though the plugs had 6k on them I decided to replace them. When I removed them there was no sign of damage to the ceramic or worn electrodes. There was evidence of blow -by betwern the ceramic and the collar. I installed a new set of NGKs and the car ran awesome. And its been that way for the past three days, but tonight it started it again. This is my fourth set in 30,000 miles. The first set I replaced with platinum s, but switched them out for v-power NGKs. The V-Powers lasted about 15k miles and I developed a misfire after runningthe car hard on The Dragon and it causes the MIL to illuminated. I replaced all 4 . The bad plug had a crack in the ceramic. I went with the same plugs and they've lasted about 10,000 miles, then thyself when I started getting the misfire under boost. I went with a plug one heat range colder hoping this may help, but like I said they only lasted 3 days. I have new coils, new wires, new boots and I applied dialectric grease to them. Im currently running 12psi and have a custom tune on my SSAFC running low 11s above 4k and 10.4-10.7 up to that point. The plugs don't look to be damaged or worn at all, but corrects my misfire under boost. I have multiple ASE certifications, have been doing this professionally for 10 years and I can't seem to figure out the cause. Does anyone have any insight into this. Im going to go with Densos this time because its perhaps an issue with the NGKs only. I've always used NGKs in everything I've owned and my customers cars and I've never had this issue before. Any help is greatly appreciated because this is really bothering me. I don't care if I have to keep changing plugs every 5k, I just want to diagnose the cause of the premature failures.

There is no visible signs of plug failure but it DOES correct the problem.

Did you get my pm?
yeah picking one up later today. I have a scan tool that I can view live data on, but its at the shop locked up, but can use it tomorrow. So im going to swap it later just to see if there's any change.

Yes and no, and I would be okay with a MAF issue if simply replacing the plugs didn't correct it.

Does it only do it while in-boost? I just swapped my coils for new ones, and one of the new ones would not fire when past 5 psi.... kindov ridiculous. If you have someone nearby try the swap coil thing.

Luckily I've got a friend that removed his FS from his P5 and installed a KL, so I can use parts from that motor to test, but manual testing of components shows everything passing.

Luckily I've got a friend that removed his FS from his P5 and installed a KL, so I can use parts from that motor to test, but manual testing of components shows everything passing.

What have you swapped out so far for testing? MAF, coil packs, wires, and what are your plugs gapped at?

MAF makes no difference- swapped. Plugs are .040. Ignition wires have 15k on them, but being replaced today with NEW. Resistance on both coils is a little above 8 ohms (spec 7-10). Coil insulation resistance is like 12ohms (spec above 10ohms).

MAF makes no difference- swapped. Plugs are .040. Ignition wires have 15k on them, but being replaced today with NEW. Resistance on both coils is a little above 8 ohms (spec 7-10). Coil insulation resistance is like 12ohms (spec above 10ohms).

regap your plugs to .028-032

Just downloaded the factory service manual for the Mazdaspeed and it shows it to be .028-.031. I'm sure that's the cause. **** "NoData." Or in this case, "WrongData."

Good, sounds like you figured out what your issue was
AllData is good for two things- 1- being generous with labor times, 2- giving you limited or incorrect information. I would've spent hours and hours over something as simple as an incorrectly gapped plug.

Back