misfire troubleshooting help..please

blynd_spy

:
2003 LX
well i recieved my first code.. a P0302, cylinder #2 misfire. Well fr starters i replaced the plugs and that seemed to work for 10 minutes then car throws code and engine stutters. My next step was to test the high tension leads, all good.
1) how do i test the resistance for the caps connected to the coil pack?

Running a spark test a well, I understand this
goldstar on 11/04 said:
However, you can easily perform a spark test, as listed in the FSM, to determine if the ignition system as a whole is functioning properly:
1. Disconnect the fuel pump relay connector.
2. Remove high tension lead from spark plug and hold it with an insulated pliers 5-10 mm (.20-.39 inches) from GND.
3. Crank engine and verify if there is a strong blue spark.
4. Do this for each high tension lead in turn.
A strong blue spark indicates the ignition system is okay.
as for protege5.ugly.net its says the same except it adds these after test instructions
Caution
Connecting the wrong DLC terminal may possibly cause a malfunction. Carefully connect the
specified terminal only.

1. Short the DLC terminal F/P to the body GND
using a jumper wire. <font color=blue>(DLC diagram attached below)</font>
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON to operate the fuel
pump.
3. Pressurize the system this way for at least 5 min
to be sure of no leakage.

can someone explain step 1? or do i even need to short it out?

Appreciate it and will probably have a thousand more questions to come

Last edited:
sounds like bad coils... thier like 50 bucks at autozone and are lifetime. And number 1 sounds like exactly what it says, using another cable short the dlp out to the body ground.

Also did you check the harnesses from the coil? sometimes they dont seat right or get dirty (had it happen)

wow your going to put a coil in without diagnoising it?

Why not bring it to the dealer?

BlkZoomZoom said:
wow your going to put a coil in without diagnoising it?

Why not bring it to the dealer?

is it really a big deal, im new to most of this so if its something i can mess up easily, let me know

dont think my dealer will look at it because of my header, and my exhaust manifold is halfway across the state..

i meant dlc...

Im not pro but... I got the misfire code when my coil harness was barely unplugged. Had AAA tow it to the shop when we got there i pushed on the harness after running out of ideas and it smoothed right out.

just took it for a test drive and the problem is fixed. connector to the fuel injector was loose, dont know how that happened, but it just wont lock into place. taping it till tomorrow and glad it wasnt anything major. Thanks SenorCorwin

Back