Mazdaspeed protege daily build 250 whp goal

?????????

That's a new one to me and I've owned this platform for 8 or so years... A "turbo header" isn't going to be something you come upon often and, if you can, absolutely get one. I ran a cheap eBay manifold for 5,000 miles or so. For $200 if you needed one because your OE had failed it's worth it, but otherwise prepare to put some time and skill into fortifying it. Gabi has a manifold for sale I believe, so you might want to check with him.

YOU KNOW! a whole year later I just noticed that was sarcasm hahah lol that's too funny. I cant belive I even said something like this I was so new to boost haha

250whp should be fairly attainable at 9-10 PSI.
I was on the phone with Tom at Pope performance for some time, he is forged and running over 20psi to the tune of over 340 whp.

Manifold, Downpipe, 3" exhaust, SS AFC with timing control, a large intercooler and an upgraded intake manifold/modified stock manifold should get you to about that number.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Still not accurate info on here. I ran 280whp from day 30 or so on with 14lbs of boost. i did it with an ion fmic 3" intake thunder turbo header 2.5" exhaust with cork sport spipe 440 injectors and a ssafc. My car ******* boogied spin the wheels in third, it was a 2700lb adult go kart. It's possible you have to know a little about what you are doing but the ssafc is a life saver. These cars run really rich and have a problem blowing out the block from too much fuel.

Still not accurate info on here. I ran 280whp from day 30 or so on with 14lbs of boost. i did it with an ion fmic 3" intake thunder turbo header 2.5" exhaust with cork sport spipe 440 injectors and a ssafc. My car ******* boogied spin the wheels in third, it was a 2700lb adult go kart. It's possible you have to know a little about what you are doing but the ssafc is a life saver. These cars run really rich and have a problem blowing out the block from too much fuel.
Blowing out the block from too much fuel. Talk about miss information.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Are there dyno graphs to support this wild claim?

Are there dyno graphs to support this wild claim?

Here's why I say this:

Knox_Joe, a former member here, local to me, an MSP and MS6 owner, was trying to get the most horsepower out of a stock bottom end MSP he could.

- PnP 626 intake
- Pope downpipe
- Steedspeed manifold
- Meth
- Perrin 3" exhaust
- Corksport FMIC
- Microtec professionally tuned
- J&S
- AWR/Doc B oil system
- Tons of other mods that I can't remember.

After driving 6 hours to a Microtec certified tuner and spending 6 hours on a dyno, he only made 276whp on 15psi. With meth. And his car was fully bolted.

And a year later, tuned on 11psi, even with the upgraded oiling system, he spun a bearing and parted the car.

Last edited:
Here's why I say this:

Knox_Joe, a former member here, local to me, an MSP and MS6 owner, was trying to get the most horsepower out of a stock bottom end MSP he could.

- PnP 626 intake
- Pope downpipe
- Thunder manifold (if I remember correctly)
- Meth
- Perrin 3" exhaust
- Corksport FMIC
- Megasquirt professionally tuned
- Tons of other mods that I can't remember.

After driving 6 hours to a Megasquirt certified tuner and spending 6 hours on a dyno, he only made 276whp on 15psi. With meth. And his car was fully bolted.
Stock turbo only blows hot air at 15psi.
Now if you look at Tom Popes build.
He made over 375 on a full build.
He has
Pnp 626
Pope mainifold
Disco potato
Pope side mount intercooler
Pope down pipe
3 in exhaust
675cc injectors
And unichip

Stock turbo only blows hot air at 15psi.
Now if you look at Tom Popes build.
He made over 375 on a full build.
He has
Pnp 626
Pope mainifold
Disco potato
Pope side mount intercooler
Pope down pipe
3 in exhaust
675cc injectors
And unichip

Yeah, fun fact, though, Chris, is that he has a 28RS, not a GT2554R. Which is what Joe was running.

My point is that the guy who said he made a consistent daily-driven 280whp with his mods is likely full of s***.

Yeah, fun fact, though, Chris, is that he has a 28RS, not a GT2554R. Which is what Joe was running.
Did I not say that he had a full build?
A stock turbo is not going to make 250 horsepower it's not going to make any more power above 14 PSI.

Okay..... Keep on swingin', Chris.

Plus Tom mentioned that his unichip tune maxed out his MAF sensor at around 5000rpm and everything above that is just guesswork. He is building a megasquirt harness.

Plus Tom mentioned that his unichip tune maxed out his MAF sensor at around 5000rpm and everything above that is just guesswork. He is building a megasquirt harness.

I bought his unichip and have the same setup. But it's for daily so will probably use one setting for daily driving and another setting for stomping Honda's

Hey there, this thread has kinda derailed, but I figured it's better to post here than start a new thread. I am trying to get to ~250hp (or more haha) on my '03 MSP as well. I am a newbie to car mods and such, and I'm just wondering where to start. I have a Corksport CAI and a boost gauge so far. I don't have a lot of money to work with currently, but I can save for parts. Where should I go from here? I've been looking at the CX FMIC, but I'm not sure if that should be my next step or not. I plan to keep the stock turbo, and I would like to get up to at least 12psi, but I'm seeing that 14psi is the max for the turbo, so if I can get to there, that would be nice. Also, I'm seeing quite a few posts about an SSAFC, but I can't seem to find any real info on them on Google such as where to buy them.
Sorry for rambling, and thanks in advance for the help! :)

Last edited:
SS-AFC is an air-fuel controller made by Split Second, there are a few retailers that sell them new and they pop up used every once in a while. Be sure you get the correct AFC for the MSP, part number is PSC-020E IIRC. For a reliable 250 whp you will need a forged motor in my opinion. If you are fine with risking the stock block go for it.

Back