Mazdaspeed or new V6 Tiburon?

DEViATE

I'm torn I can't decided which one I should get?! Please help me with some Pros and Cons. I know I'm in the Mazdaspeed section but please try to be unbiased :)

If I was to get the Tiburon I would get the V6 and horses to horses they are almost the same. So who's faster? Who has better support for aftermarket mods? Which had better handling?

Please some Pros and Cons

Thanks!

Definitely the Mazda and that's not at all bias on my part here's why:
Turbo = more tuning potential
Mazda = more reliable cars from a more respected company
Handling = The Mazdaspeed should have similar handling to the MP3...which has been raved about repeatedly.

In addition you'd also be getting a limited edition vehicle with a hella good stereo system

I just read a review in Car and Driver were they compared:

RSX Type S
Tiburon V6
Turbo Beetle
Celica GT
Mitsy Eclipse

RSX 1St
Celica 2nd (tie)
Mitsibishi 2nd (tie)
Hyundai 3rd
VDUB ( 4th)

They did say the hyundai was.........well a typical hyundai, lots of rattles, road noise, poor fit and finish etc

I would personally wait for the Mazda

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT-V6 6speed tranny
181hp 2.7L DOHC 16-Valve V6.

specs:
6-speed tranny
0-60 7.4sec
1/4mile 15.78sec
Topspeed 218kmh (CLAIMED) about 135mph

I like hyundai and all but i'd rather have the car and enjoy it, rather than it being in the shop all the damm time. " you get a good deal on hyundai's 10-year warranty or 100,000miles. Yahh freakin right, the car would be in the shop more than having it that's why they have that warranty.:rolleyes:

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed protege
2.0L DOHC 16-Valve I-4 T25 garrett turbocharger intercooled with air-to-air cooler air intake. Plus you get (LSD) limited slip differential by Tochigi Fuji Sangyokk, and also a new clutch factory heavy-duty and clutch pressure plate. also you get a 450watt kenwood KDC-MP919 audio 7 system. four channel(50-watts per speaker, and a eight inch subwoofer and 250-watt amplifier.

specs:
as claimed 0-60 less than 7sec
1/4mile N/a
Tospeed more than 130bph

i don't know if that's right or not but i guess that's the #'s they got with the Mazdaspeed but the specs ain't final until 7/1/02.

i'd personally go with the Mazdaspeed Protege for all that you get and i'm sure it will be worth more than the Tiburon.

Hmmm where'd you get the 0 - 60 specs for the Mazdaspeed from....less than 7 seconds sounds pretty fishy to me....30 more horses but about 1.5 seconds shaved off the 0 - 60 time?

Dude! Not a Hyundai Please!!!:(

Would you really trust a company that has to give you a 10 year warranty to sell you a car. If they give you ten year warranty your going to need it....Thats MO!

In my opinion, the tiburon is butt ugly. Buy it if you really want, but realize you're driving a butt ugly car.
The Mazdaspeed is a protege with cool toys. Good looking car that will kick some ass.
No brainer.

this really is a NO BRAINER...at least in my opinion.....

I do actually like the way the Tiburon looks.....HOWEVER, not nearly as much as I like the way the Protege looks...especially in the Mazdaspeed/MP3 trim package....

AND.....although I like the way the Tiburon looks....I DO NOT like looking at my car sitting in the shop.....for any reason.....and don't allow the 10 year/100,000 mile warrantee fool ya.....its just a tool to sell cars....regardless of their reliablity....if you think about...not that many people that can afford to buy new cars keeps them anywhere near that long, usually 4 to 5 years tops....

and with a warrantee in place....do you want to go modding the car? sure there are laws in place that keeps the maker from screwing you on that...BUT, it can still be a hastle....

I am not so sure there is much of an aftermarket industry for them either....as there is with Mazda..

so there ya have it....MY VOTE....WAIT FOR THE MAZDASPEED....you will not only have a nicer looking car...it will be way more unique as well. :D

BigBlue said:
Hmmm where'd you get the 0 - 60 specs for the Mazdaspeed from....less than 7 seconds sounds pretty fishy to me....30 more horses but about 1.5 seconds shaved off the 0 - 60 time?

actually this info has been discussed in several threads in this section. it was stated that a sub 7 sec 0-60 *could* be achieved but, would be difficult because 60 is reached at the point where you need to s*** into 3rd.

BTW, the Tib's 1/4 mile time is SAD. With 181hp and a 6-speed, they can't even get into the low 15's. I guess that what you get when you use the same engine as the Santa Fe; a mini-SUV.

Reasons to Get the MazdaSpeed Pro: TURBO, limited slip, handling, stereo, and 4 DOORS ;)

Thanks for all your input. All excellent points! Who do you think we give you better gas milleage? The thing with Hyundai is that they've been showing much better reliability. I mean some of owners of the older Tiburon's said that it didn't need much servicing. Yeah the 10 year warranty is pretty insane but unfortunately I'm in Canada so I don't get that sweet of a warranty. Also, I heard that there will be much better aftermarket support for the Tiburon some people are saying that without Turbo charging the V6, it can be pushed up to 230-250horses? Which leads to my next question...

So you think if I get the Mazdaspeed, is the car pretty much tweaked out? I mean since this is a supped up protege, is there more that can be done to it? I'm not talking about hardcore mods because I'm just a newbie :)

One thing I'm scared of is that since the Mazdaspeed is in limited production do you think the dealer will jack up the price?

I've only seen pictures but I think the spicy orange just makes it more unique, what are you views for the people that has seen it up close and personal?

I believe It is illegal in Ontario at least to sell a car for more than MRSP, which is why the mp3 was 23,700 everywhere.

I saw the black MS Protege in person, and I would not hesitate to get that car when it comes out. The whole car just looks PHAT even like it is. :D

so another vote for the MS Pro over the Tibby :D

There is no comparison, the mazda is way better..........they make a weak v6 hyundia..........the car should only have 5 gears not 6, there isn't enough power to have 6 gears.......even a wrx has 5 gears and should have 6......the rsx has 6 gears but they can get away with it, but not hyundia.........

Yes the mazda can gain a 100 more horses if wanted and lots of money........modify the turbo and boost, eliminate the cats, piggyback the turbo add headers, run the exhaust from the turbo when the car comes with a turbo it can withstand turbo power unlike a car that doesn't have a turbo.........it is endless in what you can do to add more power with a turbo already in the car........adding a 100 horses is exagerating a little but you can make the car really fast if wanted.........

The Tibby is not that slow it's just that it don't have enough power to hit the low 15sec 1/4mile range, i think it only does 15.6-15.9sec 1/4mile. The MP3 stock can hit low 16's 16flat-16.4sec. with normal drivers we can hit 16.4-16.7's. Now the Mazdaspeed with 30more horses or so with a turbo (LSD) and a heavy duty clutch with pressure plate can do the low' 15's, even Maybe not sure but guessing maybe high 14's. that's just my own Opinion. Sh&% i beat a GT-V6 with a autozone or pepboy's apc Intake air filter by like 1 1/2car lenghs in my bro's SE-R Spec-V. now if i'm right but i think C&D or R&D tested the Spec-V 's 1/4mile at 15.41sec.

BigBlue said:

I may be able to be of assistance! The turbo will bring more torque. Torque = acceleration.

You guys are great and giving awesome suggestions and advice. I was also looking into used cars as well. How about some PROs and CONs of these babies?

DelSol VTEC 95 and above
Toyota MR2 Turbo, they have a used '91 here with a kit but the crazy ass dealer is asking for $15,500Cnd. I don't know the KMs on that tho.

What do you think is a far price to ask for these two cars? I'm Canadian so if you tell me prices in USD put them USD or you can convert it for me so I don't have to use my brain so hard :)

First off, I like the hyundia. I must say they are getting better. The old tib's I didn't like though. The new ones looks nice outside, but inside it looks a little cheap. I haven't driven it, so I can't speak for that.

But, when it comes down to it, I don't think I'd ever buy a hyundai. At least for another 5 yrs. They haven had the best reputation for quality in the past, and while their newer cars are better looking now, they need to earn my trust before buying one.

As for the mr2.....kinda pricey isn't it?

And., the del sol is ok if your 4'5" tall :) cute though.

well i have to agree with " newf " the car is a nice one and cheap.
i think that it going to make it well out in the import world (s*** they all ready have clean a ass kit for it ,and bolton s*** )stuff that it took them a year for us mp3/protege owners

Attachments

• tiburon.jpg
    tiburon.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 297
Back