Mazda's '05 autoshow world-debuts

wongpres

:
Ti. Grey Mazda3 GT GFX
Detroit: MX-Crossport: A crossover SUV concept vehicle. Think Nissan Murano, and it is going to production. See pic below (looks pretty cool to me).

Geneva: Next-gen Miata/MX-5. I'm not 100%, but it appears that it will be in production form (as opposed to a production-like concept like the Crossport, and all other 'MX-' vehicles). If you do a search on the Miata section of threads that I started, you'll find the spy-pics.

Attachments

• crossport.jpg
    crossport.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 253
I think it looks really good, it's about time we get out of the boxy SUV type and go with nice smooth curves.

eting_pro5 said:
Hope the rear "freestyle" doors don't make it to production, those are surely a death omen for an SUV
The Crossport doesn't have free-style doors, the rear doors open like regular cars. I know its hard to see in low-res pics, but the doorhandle is at the bottom of the windowframe of the rear door (black part). The Alfa Romeo 156 has rear doorhandles like this, and the euro-version of a very high profile/important Honda production car will have it when it debuts in a few months

wongpres said:
The Crossport doesn't have free-style doors, the rear doors open like regular cars. I know its hard to see in low-res pics, but the doorhandle is at the bottom of the windowframe of the rear door (black part). The Alfa Romeo 156 has rear doorhandles like this, and the euro-version of a very high profile/important Honda production car will have it when it debuts in a few months
I hate you for knowing everything.

i like it. Whether I'd buy it or not, I'm not sure, but I'm not a truck/or suv kinda guy. But it is better looking then most crossover type cars

eting_pro5 said:
I hate you for knowing everything.

You can always count on Wongpres to deliver the goods (thumb)

Is it confirmed the MX-Crossport will become the Mazda9?

went to the NAIAS yesterday, and I have to say that the MX Crosssport is a sweet lookin SUV. the pictures don't even do it as much justice as the in person concept does. Also, props to Mazda for having the Mazdaspeed6 there, as well as a Mazdaspeed Miata, and an Rx-8 with all Mazdaspeed parts on it to look at.

Antoine said:
You can always count on Wongpres to deliver the goods (thumb)

Is it confirmed the MX-Crossport will become the Mazda9?
I don't know yet officially but appears to be. But using the Mazda5 as an example, as I understand it, it was planned to be named the Mazda4 until quite late in the game. Mazda then smartly decided not to use the number 4 because 4 sounds-like/symbolizes/means 'death' in many Asian languages - definitely not the image a car maker would want for any road car, and especially not for the bodystyle the Mazda5 competes in.

wongpres said:
I don't know yet officially but appears to be. But using the Mazda5 as an example, as I understand it, it was planned to be named the Mazda4 until quite late in the game. Mazda then smartly decided not to use the number 4 because 4 sounds-like/symbolizes/means 'death' in many Asian languages - definitely not the image a car maker would want for any road car, and especially not for the bodystyle the Mazda5 competes in.

asians... (lol2)

Confirmed, Geneva world-debuts will be the production version next-gen Mazda Miata/MX-5 (commonly known as the NC), as well as the mid-cycle refresh of the Mazda6/Atenza. Primary Mazda6/Atenza refresh items include exterior & interior modifications, more rigid chassis, modified tranny's, and additional sound insulation. It will be very interesting to see which of these items, and more importantly, when the refresh is executed on the N. American-spec Mazda6 produced at AAI.

Mazda's Geneva press conference will take place on March 1.

Back