Mazda6 vs CX-5 with kid on the way

Of course, the better choice than the two would be the 5, although it uses a bit more gas. I averaged 24.5 mpg in my old 2007 5 with 5 speed manual vs. 32.5 mpg in my 3. Can't wait for the 5 to get SkyActiv'd.

I have to agree and change my previous decision, no more CX-5 for me. After driving a new Mazda5 GT last weekend, that's what I'm buying. It will be sweet when they do the SkyActive treatment to the MZ5, but I don't want to wait. ;)

Man you guys don't make it easy to pick!

I'm still sitting 50/50 on it.

Mazda6 - better MPG, better looking and driving, better tech
CX-5 - More trunk space

So my wife is pretty set on getting a City Select stroller and now I have to figure out what has a better back seat for an infant seat, the 6 or the 5.
My brother in law keeps saying he wishes he had the CX-9 instead of the CX-7 because he doesn't have enough space for his one baby. However I do see their trunk on both cars is filled with crap. Our trunks are totally empty with the exception of a bag of emergency tools. I really want to get the 6, but I'm worried about trunk space and ease of putting car seat into car as well as carrying stuff for baby (I have no idea how much an infant travels with other than a stroller). Thoughts?

Get a more sensible stroller. I have two strollers that fit behind the 3rd row of my 5, a Joovy Caboose double stroller and a Peg Perego P3 Plikko sit & stand. The Peg Perego fit into the back of my old Celica which had a quarter of the cargo area taken up by a subwoofer. Unless you're going on a road trip, all you'll have is a diaper bag with the stroller.

A lot of those Graco, Safety 1st, etc. strollers are huge and need an SUV to transport.

When we did go on a road trip, we had the cargo area of the 5 filled to the brim with toys, a jumper, etc. for our infant. Toddlers, pack a few toys and an iPad and call it a day.

I have a 6 year old who is in a booster seat, and a 1 1/2 year old who is in a rear facing car seat, and we are able to fit them in the back seats and the 1 1/2 year olds stroller and other stuff in the trunk of our 2012 Mazda 3. Actually, in a pinch we have transported our two kids and our nephew who is five in the backseat of the 3. So seeing as how the trunk space and back seats are a little bigger on the 6, I doubt that you will have a problem with the car seat, diaper bag, and stroller fitting in the 6.

CX-5 - More trunk space

So my wife is pretty set on getting a City Select stroller and now I have to figure out what has a better back seat for an infant seat, the 6 or the 5.
My brother in law keeps saying he wishes he had the CX-9 instead of the CX-7 because he doesn't have enough space for his one baby. However I do see their trunk on both cars is filled with crap. Our trunks are totally empty with the exception of a bag of emergency tools. I really want to get the 6, but I'm worried about trunk space and ease of putting car seat into car as well as carrying stuff for baby (I have no idea how much an infant travels with other than a stroller). Thoughts?

You will be fine with either one, 6 or cx-5. Just go with what will put a smile on your face as you will be driving it....

CX-5 - More trunk space

Either car will and should work out just fine. I ended up with the 6 as mentioned before and our stroller/carseat is similar to what you're getting. We have the Britax B Safe carseat and Britax B Agile stroller. Stroller fits fine in the trunk, have plenty of space left for other goodies. Wife fits fine in the back seat sitting next to the baby.

In a couple of years when her car is due for a replacement we will highly likely be getting a CX-5 for her.

How about Mazda6 for u and CX5 for wife... it is the solution I will go with. Sorry for reviving a dead thread, I didn't read carefully to realize you have made your decision.

I ended up buying a 2010 Mazda5 GT back in April and am very happy with my decision. I have put about 8K miles on it, including a trip from Kentucky to the Black Hills and back. I love it and wouldn't trade it for a CX-5.

Howdy. I have the 6GT and have a wife and 2 little girls, 2 and 4. So I have a car seat and booster seat in the back always. I also spent a couple of weeks in a CX-5 that the dealer gave me as a loaner... long story... anyway, my point is GET THE 6. The trunk is roomy enough and theres more legroom in the back... way more... which means the kids arent kicking your back seat and you can pull the front seats back and be comfortable. The CX-5 has way less legroom in the back and the trunk isnt really that big other than it's taller.

The CX-5 is also gutless compared to the 6. Getting up to 80mph takes a commitment and some patience.

Howdy. I have the 6GT and have a wife and 2 little girls, 2 and 4. So I have a car seat and booster seat in the back always. I also spent a couple of weeks in a CX-5 that the dealer gave me as a loaner... long story... anyway, my point is GET THE 6. The trunk is roomy enough and theres more legroom in the back... way more... which means the kids arent kicking your back seat and you can pull the front seats back and be comfortable. The CX-5 has way less legroom in the back and the trunk isnt really that big other than it's taller.

The CX-5 is also gutless compared to the 6. Getting up to 80mph takes a commitment and some patience.

to say the CX-5 has way less legroom is simply not true. According to specs, the 6 has a half an inch more fore-aft room, less head room, and half an inch less shoulder room. It's a push if you ask me. Maybe it feels larger, but the actual difference is minimal. You are right about the trunk space being large enough in the 6. We were able to fit our large stroller in there easily when we looked at the dealership.

I am sure the thread starter has already made his/her choice, but for others with kids looking for vehicles, i would recommend taking the following items:

Car Seat (and try setting it up in middle and on both sides to gauge the fit)
Stroller
2 Suitcases (I have always done this combined with stroller since both have to fit in cargo area)

And the other thing i have done with my last 2 car purchases, is planned for the car to fit my family +1. We all have an oops baby in our family somewhere. The last thing i want to have to do when i find out another child is coming is have to buy a new car. The difficult part of this is when you have 2 kids, b/c a 3rd likely means a minivan, which i am completely opposed to. This is why my wife's next car (when her truck dies) will probably be an SUV with 3rd row seating.

What? You just said the Mazda 6 has 1/2" more legroom... so yeah, it is most definitely true. Maybe not as much more as I thought but it was a tight fit when we were driving the CX-5 and we dont have that issue with the 6. I dont have little shoe marks on my 6 but I had tons on the CX-5

we have both...

but then we have no kids :D

I drive the 6 wife drives the cx5

I'm 6'1 and fit fine in the 6

i'm guessing if you are hauling cribs and taking car seat in/out buckling up/down it will be easier on cx5 cuz you dont have to bend down as much.

Back