Mazda6 Discontinued For 2022

:
2024 CX90 PHEV Premium Plus

Damn…This sucks. Hopefully this just means a temporary absence and it will return as a new model. If it does, I’m sure Mazda did this to separate the current FWD model from the up market RWD platform.

It would be cool if they brought it back as the Mazda 626 or 636.

I would like to have hopes for a future 6 replacement, but with the trends of today, I wouldn't be surprised if no new sedan takes its place.

First of all, thanks for the heads up @Trip CX9...Wow did that title catch my eye, how sad that would be to loose the Mazda6. That said, interesting to read on about the possibility of a new replacement. This news isn't that surprising though considering how sedan sales are faring these days although I still find this trend saddening.

On the other hand, if the Mazda6 is "reborn" as a new sportier and more premium sedan (and or coupe), I wonder what it would be called? Mazda seems to like the double digit numbers now (30, 50 etc)...Hmmm.

Most assumed this generation Mazda6 would be done this year or next with all rumors pointing to an immediate replacement. The known RWD platform and inline 6 was/is supposed to be the basis for the new sedan.

What wasn't expected was to read a headline saying "Mazda6 to be discontinued". Automakers don't say that when a replacement/redesign is planned. Even if a new model name is planned, it's still an odd announcement that sounds like there's no sedan planned for the lineup going forward (beyond Mazda3).

Let's hope Mazda sticks to the sedan market. Ford sold way more Fusions than Mazda6's and still dropped it. I'm hoping Mazda is bringing an upsized sedan ideally the size of say a BMW 5-series/Audi A6 without being a too big full size sedan. Mazda7?

Was at my dealer yesterday and when I mentioned the Mazda 6 news he said that it will be back with the new "design" and will have a SUV like counterpart. Basically like the Mazda 3 and CX-30. I expected the Mazda 6 to come back but not with a SUV twin. Could that spy shot making the rounds not be the CX-50 but rather a CX-60?

It was on its last legs anyways sitting on a 2014 old platform…sure they can come back with a newly designed 6 in 2023 but more likely offered in selected markets given the declining sales of sedans esp here in NA. Even if the new platform has the I6 engine and RWD, may only cater to a small market of enthusiasts and will likely struggle to compete with the 2 most popular giants (Camry & Accord) while the rest fight amongst the remaining pie or more like crumbs. The SUV version (CX-50) will likely do better for sure…it’s probably better for Mazda to still keep the Miata and 3 as the only sedan in their lineup and focus on diff sizes of SUVs (CX-30, CX-5, CX-50, CX-9, MX-30, etc) as well as introduce more hybrid/EV powertrains w/c is coming with its partnership with Toyota…surprisingly they kept the CX-3 only in Cda but gone in USA…CX-30 cannibalizing sales of CX-3 as expected

Mazda 6 was never a model to produce big numbers in terms of sales, however it was more or less a car well known in the community and praised. My feeling is that with the chip shortage this year and poorly sales numbers of the 6 and cx-3, they decided to axe them and focus the sales on the cars that can actually sell.

I still believe a new generation will come up, because it doesn't make sense not to do it. Its going to be on they're new large architecture platform which is shared with they're new upcoming SUV, therefore the numbers will not really matter. I am sure with the "electric hype" there is going to be quite a big market for Inline 6's from the enthusiasts plus if you consider the amount of money and time they put into developing the new platform and engines, it doesn't make sense to build only one or two SUV's . All the premium/luxury manufacturers have scale-able architectures that's why it is easy to do an SUV and a sedan on the same assembly line.

My thoughts are that Mazda did this to put some separation between its FWD brand image and the upcoming RWD platform. The market might be hesitant to accept a nearly $40,000 Mazda 6 but with a simple slight of hand, such as a new name on its true successor, that might make all the difference as to whether or not it will do well in the marketplace.

The new Genesis sedan is great if not over the top ... but it has to be as a sedan in a sea of SUVs and as a luxury wannabe. There is room in the market for sedans but they’ll need to be damn good vehicles. If Mazda brings a feature packed model that handles well, wrapped in a sexy Mazda body, it will do good enough. Add the inline 6 which will be unique among all the turbo 4s and it should do great.

Last edited:
I just noted Buick is no longer selling any sedan model. All SUV/Crossover.

Wife and I just attended the Minneapolis Auto Show (held outdoors at the State Fairgrounds). She's a Camry (Hybrid) driver and looking for a new Camry.

Don't think I can envision NASCAR racing tall SUVs...

It was on its last legs anyways sitting on a 2014 old platform…sure they can come back with a newly designed 6 in 2023 but more likely offered in selected markets given the declining sales of sedans esp here in NA. Even if the new platform has the I6 engine and RWD, may only cater to a small market of enthusiasts and will likely struggle to compete with the 2 most popular giants (Camry & Accord) while the rest fight amongst the remaining pie or more like crumbs. The SUV version (CX-50) will likely do better for sure…it’s probably better for Mazda to still keep the Miata and 3 as the only sedan in their lineup and focus on diff sizes of SUVs (CX-30, CX-5, CX-50, CX-9, MX-30, etc) as well as introduce more hybrid/EV powertrains w/c is coming with its partnership with Toyota…surprisingly they kept the CX-3 only in Cda but gone in USA…CX-30 cannibalizing sales of CX-3 as expected

The Kia Stinger is a great car with terrible sales. Cars are a hard sell today.

Funny, the Mazda6 at 8 years old, sells 3 times as much as the MX-5 Miata. Yet you'll never see Mazda drop the Miata because it's the Miata.

Just like the Ford Fusion sold far more than the Mustang but guess which one is still around.

I get the reasons for this and it's more than just about sales but it still aggravating. I worry some decisions to drop models may be premature because they are made at the end of a long life cycle where naturally the models sales numbers decline in favor of newer competition. Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, and Optima/K5 sales remain strong because they consistently get redesigned every 5 years.

Funny, the Mazda6 at 8 years old, sells 3 times as much as the MX-5 Miata. Yet you'll never see Mazda drop the Miata because it's the Miata.

Just like the Ford Fusion sold far more than the Mustang but guess which one is still around.

I get the reasons for this and it's more than just about sales but it still aggravating. I worry some decisions to drop models may be premature because they are made at the end of a long life cycle where naturally the models sales numbers decline in favor of newer competition. Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, and Optima/K5 sales remain strong because they consistently get redesigned every 5 years.

You can not deny that the Mazda 6 is out dated and not competitive in the highest trim levels. I would argue that the base level Mazda 6 blows away the entry level Camry and Accord. But I don't think that is a area Mazda wants to fight in.

And the trend is different:

You can not deny that the Mazda 6 is out dated and not competitive in the highest trim levels. I would argue that the base level Mazda 6 blows away the entry level Camry and Accord. But I don't think that is a area Mazda wants to fight in.

The Mazda6, with it's 3rd new interior is superior to any Camry trim, not even close. It still looks and drives better too. Amazingly, more reliable. The only thing the Camry has is a bit more room but it far outsells it because people are sheep and buy what's always been the most popular.

Any publication will tell you the only vehicle that can be considered better than the 6 is the Accord but it certainly isn't beautiful.

Reactions: sxa
The Mazda6, with it's 3rd new interior is superior to any Camry trim, not even close. It still looks and drives better too. Amazingly, more reliable. The only thing the Camry has is a bit more room but it far outsells it because people are sheep and buy what's always been the most popular.

Any publication will tell you the only vehicle that can be considered better than the 6 is the Accord but it certainly isn't beautiful.
Mazda 6 - best car that nobody buys…sad but true! I owned a 6 and never even considered buying the Camry or Accord at the time

I'd wager that we're going to get some variation of the CX-4 (a CUV'd 6) that Mazda sells in China.
My dealer is really big on this and told me that point again. The Mazda 3 and CX-30 duo has been a win and has helped sales on both sides. It allows them to play to the cars strengths to what the buyer wants. He told me when the Mazda 6 comes back it will come back with a SUV variant - just like the CX-30.

I'd wager that we're going to get some variation of the CX-4 (a CUV'd 6) that Mazda sells in China.
My dealer is really big on this and told me that point again. The Mazda 3 and CX-30 duo has been a win and has helped sales on both sides. It allows them to play to the cars strengths to what the buyer wants. He told me when the Mazda 6 comes back it will come back with a SUV variant - just like the CX-30.
Interesting! Are we talking a new type of 6 (more premium and powerful with rwd...Coupe perhaps?) AND a CUV 6?

Or...

Only a CUV 6?

Thoughts? Possible model names?

I am looking forward to a inline/rwd six or perhaps a “new” 626 or whatever they want to call it. I have a short list of what the next car for the driveway and wife will be and the new six is at the top (if it’s as good as what I’m hoping), should it come to exist soon. I have seen in the past where a manufacturer hypes up an idea/concept and after the time preorders start they fill all the orders that can be built in a year. Talking to the salesperson whom I bought my new 3 from, has a list of “rabid mazdaphiles” ready to drop some coin on this car.

Back