"Mazda5 to be phased out for U.S. in 2015." - Automotive News

As a Fit owner, I've seen the Mexico "build" quality problems. Just further solidify why I'm glade my two cars were made in the land of rising sun (or set).

I'm sorry to hear this. I just bought a 2014 Mazda 5 Sport manual to replace my 2008 Fit. My Japan-built Fit was flawlessly reliable for 80,000 miles and I was considering replacing it with another Fit, but I began thinking about moving up a tier to a C-segment car to get a little more mass and a fully independent rear suspension. The Mazda 5 is the closest thing to a "big Fit" that I've ever seen. It's got all of the qualities I loved about my Fit while adding the creature comforts, ride quality, torque and other things I missed in the Fit.

To be honest though, the move to take production to Mexico definitely played a big part in my decision not to buy another Fit and the fact that the Mazda5 is still built in Japan definitely helped. The country of origin isn't a deciding factor for me, but it's definitely a good selling point.

I'm sad to see that my concerns about the Fit were warranted. I don't understand why these companies have to be so greedy. If Honda can build a Fit in Japan and sell it for $16K in the U.S. and make a profit, then there is no excuse for moving production to a 2nd or 3rd world country where the labor pool just isn't going to be as skilled, proficient and educated. I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but it's the truth and it does matter. I know most assembly is mechanized now, but if I have a choice, I'd still prefer the humans building my car be OCD, perfectionist Japanese guys in spotless overalls than... well.. guys who aren't like that. I want the guy who loses sleep at night because he left a fingerprint on the windshield or let a dust mote land on the crankshaft while he was assembling the engine, not the guy who can't wait to get out of the factory and polish off two six packs during the drive home.

I like the idea of a short and nimble EcoBoost TC, but at the same time I priced one out fully loaded and it costs as much as a Ford C-MAX Hybrid that gets way better gas mileage, albeit its not as tall. However, I'm in a C-MAX Hybrid this week and I just don't connect with it, the Ford interior is just overly complicated and kind of annoying to look at.

I did the ford drive event. They had us flog Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and Fusion Hybrid.

I was in my MS3. Loved the ST, but hated both interiors.

I'm sorry to hear this. I just bought a 2014 Mazda 5 Sport manual to replace my 2008 Fit. My Japan-built Fit was flawlessly reliable for 80,000 miles and I was considering replacing it with another Fit, but I began thinking about moving up a tier to a C-segment car to get a little more mass and a fully independent rear suspension. The Mazda 5 is the closest thing to a "big Fit" that I've ever seen. It's got all of the qualities I loved about my Fit while adding the creature comforts, ride quality, torque and other things I missed in the Fit.

To be honest though, the move to take production to Mexico definitely played a big part in my decision not to buy another Fit and the fact that the Mazda5 is still built in Japan definitely helped. The country of origin isn't a deciding factor for me, but it's definitely a good selling point.

I'm sad to see that my concerns about the Fit were warranted. I don't understand why these companies have to be so greedy. If Honda can build a Fit in Japan and sell it for $16K in the U.S. and make a profit, then there is no excuse for moving production to a 2nd or 3rd world country where the labor pool just isn't going to be as skilled, proficient and educated. I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but it's the truth and it does matter. I know most assembly is mechanized now, but if I have a choice, I'd still prefer the humans building my car be OCD, perfectionist Japanese guys in spotless overalls than... well.. guys who aren't like that. I want the guy who loses sleep at night because he left a fingerprint on the windshield or let a dust mote land on the crankshaft while he was assembling the engine, not the guy who can't wait to get out of the factory and polish off two six packs during the drive home.
Wow! I'm not even going to get into this one, but whatever makes you sleep better at night on your 2nd and 3rd world country made mattress, sheets, quilts, etc. Ignorance and stereotyping... gotta love it, it certainly makes for an interesting and comical world.

Wow! I'm not even going to get into this one, but whatever makes you sleep better at night on your 2nd and 3rd world country made mattress, sheets, quilts, etc. Ignorance and stereotyping... gotta love it, it certainly makes for an interesting and comical world.

Certainly keeps this dead forum entertaining :D With some new members around here, I don't even need TMZ in my life :D:D

Where are my friends at the Chrysler plants and their smoking weed and drinking while on the job ! :D

2015 FIT is amazing. TOo bad all the teething problems they had with it built in mexico (see FitFreaks)

This was a reason I bought my '15 CX-5... I thought I heard that production may soon transfer to Mexico.

EDIT: Many power sport manufacturers (ATV & watercraft) have transferred production to Mexico. Build quality issues have at times been worse than domestic production.

Last edited:
This was a reason I bought my '15 CX-5... I thought I heard that production may soon transfer to Mexico.

EDIT: Many power sport manufacturers (ATV & watercraft) have transferred production to Mexico. Build quality issues have at times been worse than domestic production.

Lots of maquilladoras have been making TVs etc for a long time now....

Maybe one just has to be cautious on transition year? Not singling out Mexico but possible anywhere on the first model year moving an existing platform.

I guess more information is expected and will be published later... I wonder if 2014 is the last model year, or if they plan to keep making it for longer (a few more months), so 2015 will be the final model year.

I picked up my new 2014 model on July 26, barely one month ago... you could say that I'm late to the party.

The Mazda 5 will continue in Canada beyond the 2015 alongside the Chevrolet Orlando and recently redesigned Kia Rondo. There's a market for small people movers in Canada, not so much in the USA.

The Mazda 5 will continue in Canada beyond the 2015 alongside the Chevrolet Orlando and recently redesigned Kia Rondo. There's a market for small people movers in Canada, not so much in the USA.

You guys up north sometimes get some interesting names for cars.

Bad example :)

Pontiac Parisienne

There is some truth. Would you buy a Chinese made car (say VW)? I shopped for the Mz6 and came across a pattern which members seem to confirm. Some Mz6 (forgot which series) were made in Japan, while the others were made in a Joint Ford plant in the US. The Ford one has a lot of issues/complaints.

That's the difference maker. It takes time (experience) for an industry to take root and more importantly you have to be mindful of the full supply chain that will also change with it. The problem I have with Mexico is 1) auto industry is just starting to boom which will get better over time. 2) Manufacturers who moved down South surely would have changed suppliers to locally/strategically sourced. The question is who supplies what for who and where are the core components made.

Detroit was the place for the auto industry b/c of proximity to iron suppliers in that region. Other automotive parts suppliers sprout up. Once that dried up, everything else went along with it. The suppliers would move south did so for more profits (thanks NAFTA) b/c business wants to make money and WILL CUT COST wherever they can. You make something at a cheaper place, it will be a cheaper product simply b/c you have to save monies somewhere, which ultimately end in a cheaper thing. This is not to say Mexico cannot make top notch stuff (prob not yet) b/c there's little profit it that. Same can be said for China.

Last edited:
Yes please! I am a proud closet Volvo fan (pre and post Ford)! Still lust for a 240 and day dream about finding and rebuilding a P1800 :D. I like old cars.

Was discussing with the wife a short while back that we should consider a new Volvo! :D

The Chinese ownership and the Chinese market is single handily saying Volvo. Otherwise, they too would have been a Saab story. China has gained a LOT of manufacturing experience in the last decide. Costs are going up and not as financially feasible to purely "make it there", you have to plan to sell it there. A lot of manufacturing is now moving to Vietnam/Brazil/Africa/where ever is the next cheap destination. If something made in China is cheap today, you can thank "whoever owns the label" for accepting the cheap s*** level of quality in the name of profit. If we all stop buying (accepting) the cheap crap, they will make better crap but be prepared to pay for it.

British have been making cars a long time. I have two British products in the garage. Both are garbage, hand made POS that costs way more than its worth.

My Japanese cars made in Japan has had no issues. My Japanese cars made in Ohio never had issues either.

Personally I don't know about cars made in mexico/canada/china, as I don't own any.

In the future, all cars might be made in China, like the apple products, who knows.

My experience with mexico made cars are just from reading the internet. And most of what we read on the internet is true, per Al Gore.

Now give me a VIper! I don't care if hte employees smoke weed...just look at that thing!

:D

My HHR SS was built in Mexico. Wasn't too bad. The major issue I had was with the dealer installed factory power upgrade. Otherwise the only thing that broke was the sunroof air deflector screen thing and replaced under warranty.

I'll be driving a Viper T/A next week ;)

My HHR SS was built in Mexico. Wasn't too bad. The major issue I had was with the dealer installed factory power upgrade. Otherwise the only thing that broke was the sunroof air deflector screen thing and replaced under warranty.

As with all things, it depends on the quality control. apple makes smartphones in China and Vietnam and they are good quality. But likewise you can buy some knock off phones made in China that are not good. In the USA, you can have poor quality control too and poorly made.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

I guess my question would be the SSR built in Mexico, vs if the SSR was built in Detroit, would it have made a difference? (I don't know--just asking).

Can I fly in and meet you wherever you are doing the Viper T/A? My dream car

Back