Mazda5 Replacement Carpet? Not mats

I'm looking for a replacement carpet for a 2014 Mazda5, at 140k miles it was already looking bad due to the assorted food and garbage the kids leave in it, and smelled from motion sickness incidents, but its at its worse after this last weekend. Spent a lot of time looking on lots of sites and the best I could find was a lot of mats and an 09 carpet on ebay which I don't know if it will fit my car. Any sites carry replacement carpets or will the 09 fit my 14?

Unless it's physically torn, even the worst carpet can be cleaned. There are YouTube videos of extreme car cleaning that shows how to do it.

You'll need to pull your seats, then use a cordless drill with some special brushes to loosen the debris. A carpet shampooer will then need to be used.

Watch this guy.

I put a replacement carpet in my Miata. I hung it on a fence and sprayed it with hose until the water ran out clean and let it dry before I put it in.
It you are pulling the carpet anyway you could give washing it a try first.

Found this in a quick Google search:

I would try cleaning it first myself, but its understandable if you'd rather just replace the carpet instead of doing the work involved to clean it.

No idea if the 09 carpet will fit your 14, but as a temporary solution for the smell, you can spread baking soda liberally all over the carpet and leave it overnight, then vacuum the carpet. This should reduce the intensity of the smell.

I've used a rented Rug Doctor with the hand-held upholstery attachment with pretty good success. It's not a steam cleaner per se--you pour hot water with cleaning solution into one receptacle which is injected and then vacuumed out into a waste water container you dump out. It goes like this:

Even though that guy's vehicle doesn't look all that dirty you can see what he pulled up when he dumps the waste water.

Obviously some set-in stains will be permanent--in my case red Gatorade and red wine (from a broken bottle, not swigging and driving ;)) but this machine managed to fade out those stains to some degree with repeated applications.

I imagine using the power drill brush attachments in post #2 as a supplement might be an added benefit for tough junk.

The unit in the link will run around $40 for 24 hours plus around 10 bucks for the cleaning solution. Might as well do a second vehicle or a home carpet while at it.

It might not be a bad idea to get something like the following for the back seat:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited by a moderator:
My sons asked to stay in the car while I ran into the bike shop, while in there the youngest decided he had to go to the bathroom and didn't feel like walking the 10' into the store. Instead he peed in a cup and then spilled the cup. It might be cleanable but after 140k miles it does have holes in the front driver's side, lots of stains and smells and probably isn't worth saving at this point.

My sons asked to stay in the car while I ran into the bike shop, while in there the youngest decided he had to go to the bathroom and didn't feel like walking the 10' into the store. Instead he peed in a cup and then spilled the cup. It might be cleanable but after 140k miles it does have holes in the front driver's side, lots of stains and smells and probably isn't worth saving at this point.

I see, with holes in the carpet I'd probably just replace it as well. Hopefully someone can confirm if the 09 carpet will fit your 14.

For obvious, sanitary reasons I spent 3 hours taking out and reinstalling the seats so I could attack the carpet with a pet carpet cleaner that is supposed to clean up pet issues. I worked the shampoo into the carpet with a 240grit equivalent nylon brush attached to my drill. A lot of dirt, sand, and dog fur was removed, the result is a carpet that almost no fur evident, there were still spots even the drill couldn't get clean but its the cleanest I've seen it in probably 4-5 years. The wife dumped witchhazel everywhere. So currently there is a small battle between the smell of pee, pet carpet shampoo and witch hazel making for an interesting mix that the pee seems to be losing. It'll buy me time to have a rub pop up on ebay.

Find/buy an ozone generator. Close it up on the car a couple of nights. I did this with a Miata someone smoked in and it helped a lot.

The wife dumped witchhazel everywhere. So currently there is a small battle between the smell of pee, pet carpet shampoo and witch hazel making for an interesting mix that the pee seems to be losing. It'll buy me time to have a rub pop up on ebay.
This got me DEAD. What does your car smell like a month later? Reminds me that one time multiple bottles of Vietnamese fish sauce broke in the trunk of my volvo wagon. I had to get rid of the car.

Back