Mazda3 2.5T Mazda3 Turbo Hatch MPG

:
CX-5 2017 GT AWD
Everybody has their M3TH now for a few months already and has a pretty good amount of road time already. I already have 3.2K miles on my odometer. I have a almost the same route 4 days a week, a mix of little town and mostly highway driving. Normal to moderate style of driving brings me around the 20-24 mpg only. Whenever I do full interstate driving at 60-80 mph, I have a better result of 27-29 mpg. Everytime I fill up my "miles to next gas indicator is 240-250 miles. Since I got this car I always load it with 91 octane.

BTW only mod I made to my M3TH is the Magnaflow Axle Back.

M3TH with Magnaflow Axle Back mpg
51030179088_92f87381cb_c.jpg

M3TH with stock Axle Back mpg
51030175943_e7a6c6cb56_b.jpg

Magnaflow Axle Back would better serve the Mazda 3 Hatch 2020-2021 non-turbo.

Thanks for the update and comparison with pics, very interesting...That Magnaflow Axle Back system you had is actually designed for the non-turbo correct?

@Antoine That's the thing they never mention it at their website. When I called them regarding this observation the person I talked to said that it was hard to believe that their axle back would cause such mpg penalty. On the other hand when I called Corksport I was told that they are finishing the Axle back for the M3TH with a probable release date in June. So they will be having an axle back for the NA and Turbo.

Good to know...Are you considering a CorkSport axle back for the Mazda3 Turbo when it is released?

I would say that 1) the engine needs time to break in. I have owned 4 Mazda's and the MPG in all of them improved dramatically after the first oil change. 2) Your mileage depends upon how you drive. I know a guy who never gets more than 20 MPG on his Mazda 3 2.5T - because he only drives in the city in manual mode and I don't think gets out of 3rd gear! 3) I would not add an exhaust system to the 2.5T not designed for it. That to me is asking for long term trouble.

Last edited:
@Antoine
I asked the guy in Corksport if they could also test if their new axle back would penalize the fuel mileage.

@dougal
I am almost close to 4K miles now on my M3TH. I use this car on the same daily route to work (House -Work-House ). Being in Hudson Valley you have straigths, hills, mountains, twisties and urban driving condition on that daily route. Driving style is aggressive in the morning going to work and Calm driving while listening to the exhaust note going home. Borla was nice enough to say that the new Release Axle back they have for the Mazda 3 Hatch 2020-2021 has not been tested for the Turbo and only on non-turbo models. Magnaflow just says it's compatible. Corksport said they have on on development/testing intended for the Turbo. So for now since we got none in the Market so far...... I will stay stock.

I’m betting on a little heavier foot making exhaust sound in ears is going to lower Mpg, I stopped putting Air Intakes on my rides for that very reason!! Lol Dope car man!!

Back