Mazda Protege 5 Engins same as MP3 ?

as far as i know they are the exact same engine the only reason we have more horse is the half exhaust and re-calibrated ECU (91 octane) that the only differences in the engines.

Ye realy other then that the engin and the engin bay is the same ? if so then would the cai fot Portage 5 fit the MP3 since they are the same i'm willing to try it :D

The only real difference i"ve noticed between the protege 2.0l and the mp3 2.0l is the intake manifold.The protege-p5 fs has dual variable charge runners and butterfies the Mp3 has a single row of butterfies.If you look on the top of your manifold you'll see an extra solienoid that is not used that is for the the second variable runners that we don't have,we were suposed to remove them duing the pdi's

ed, since i cannot understand a single word of what u r saying, i will just ask, can we put the p5 CAI in the mp3 then? or that intake manifold thing you are saying doesnt let us?

hey Ed do you think it would be helpful to put the dual stage manifold on the MP3. i wonder if it would help.

from the comparisons of the two intakes side by side they look pretty much the same,the intake hose and air box look the same.I havn't compared part numbers yet.As far as us useing the dual stage manifold it won't work,we have a differnt wiring harness & ecu.I looked the other day for extra connectors to hook up a factory cruise control and abs but the connectors are not there,Mazda use to use a common wiring harness in each model(2.0l lx-2.0l es have the same engine harness & body harness except the es has abs,cruise,sunroof)

10hp from just a muffler,wow that means every p5 and 2.0l prot can make 10hp&7ftlb more torque from just a muffler what are you smoking

holy smokes ed that's pretty technical.

I think what we'd all like to know is, what would you suggest is the safest first step in improving mp3 performance by, say, 20-30hp? and is there any way to do that without voiding the engine warranty all the way to hell?

SMOKINJO36JT: The engine is the same as the Protg 5 the reason why the MP3 has 10 more horsepower is because of the exhaust system.

Not exactly. There are more differences than just the exhaust.
Reprogrammed ECU and different intake help.

And I don't think there will be a way to make 20-30 hp until there is a supercharger or turbo. Of course there is nitrous.

And technically, an after-market part on the car doesn't void the warranty. If the mechanic can prove that the after-market part caused the problem, then the cost of repair won't be covered by the warranty.

Example #1: Your power windows don't work right and you have an intake on your car. If the dealer says you voided your warranty becuase of the intake, they are wrong.

Example #2: You put in the FS-ZE pistons that raise the compression ratio to 10.5:1 and you blow the head off your motor (most likely not going to happen), if they can prove that the higher compression did it, then your screwed.

:cool:

Back