Mazda Has Abandoned Enthusiasts!

It appears the company that touted "Zoom,Zoom", has given up on performance. Here it is ,2015, there has not been a performance car in the Mazda lineup for 2 years. Ford has stepped up with the Focus RS for next year and even Honda is bringing the Civic Type R to our shores next year also. The Mazda Miata, is hardly a 'Halo' car for high performance. I don't know if it is money constraints or that Mazda is forgoing any Mazdaspeed product. Personally, I love my Gen 2 MS3,but with no Mazdspeed product on the horizon, this will most likely be my last Mazda product. I guess I will be giving my money to Ford next. Mazda ,thanks for nothing!

Mazdaspeed has always been limited edition. I'd imagine they have something in plans but without a big partner they have to make sure it is a good plan. I hope they are still working on the next rx as well.

The next Speed variant is likely on the new MX-5, probably in '17 or '18. Gotta find a way to make room in the garage. :D

It appears the company that touted "Zoom,Zoom", has given up on performance. Here it is ,2015, there has not been a performance car in the Mazda lineup for 2 years. Ford has stepped up with the Focus RS for next year and even Honda is bringing the Civic Type R to our shores next year also. The Mazda Miata, is hardly a 'Halo' car for high performance. I don't know if it is money constraints or that Mazda is forgoing any Mazdaspeed product. Personally, I love my Gen 2 MS3,but with no Mazdspeed product on the horizon, this will most likely be my last Mazda product. I guess I will be giving my money to Ford next. Mazda ,thanks for nothing!

I've been driving my 2009 up here in Michigan now since it was new and while I still love the car, I'm DONE trying make it work in winter.
Getting an SUV to replace it and looking at Acura MDX.

But for a REAL performance car, one that can really haul ass, my background and experience lends me to a combination of Mazda and Ford. Someday I hope to build one of these for a fun, summer time toy.
http://monstermiata.webs.com/

-Spend millions on development of Wankel engine
-Win Lemans outright with Wankel engine...the only Asian carmaker to ever win overall at the 24 hours of lemans.
-Build the arguably best looking and performing car Japan's ever made
-Kill Wankel engine because of EPA and fuel consumption

No profit. :(

OP, good luck with the Ford. My mom-in-law's 2014 Focus has already been in the shop so many fkn times for so many different reasons. Now that the front end quit knocking over every bot-dot, it keeps overheating...with under 10K on the clock.

Yeah. Ask the CX9 owners.
The parts on a CX9 they worry the most are all from Ford.
Engine's integrated water pump (have to lift the engine to replace -> costing nearly a thousand bucks), the transfer case, the leaky differential, you name it.
All from FORD.

On Speed3, it is coming. Turbo 2.5G making 300hp+ + AWD to put the power to the ground.
End of 2016 as 2017 model. The same engine will be used in next FMC CX9.

So let's get this straight. You love your Gen. 2 MS3 but because Mazda hasn't released a new model in two years you're unhappy?

Mazda doesn't support enthusiasts? Two words: Mazda Motorsports

I have seen plans for an AWD, turbo 2018 speed3...

LOL...

-Spend millions on development of Wankel engine
-Win Lemans outright with Wankel engine...the only Asian carmaker to ever win overall at the 24 hours of lemans.
-Build the arguably best looking and performing car Japan's ever made
-Kill Wankel engine because of EPA and fuel consumption

No profit. :(

European emissions regulations killed the RX-8. Mazda's last production Wankel, the 13B-MSP, makes less power, gets worse fuel economy, and has more emissions than today's turbo four-cylinders and naturally-aspirated V6's. From a common sense perspective, why should Mazda continue to pursue its development?

OP, good luck with the Ford. My mom-in-law's 2014 Focus has already been in the shop so many fkn times for so many different reasons. Now that the front end quit knocking over every bot-dot, it keeps overheating...with under 10K on the clock.

Yeah. Ask the CX9 owners.
The parts on a CX9 they worry the most are all from Ford.
Engine's integrated water pump (have to lift the engine to replace -> costing nearly a thousand bucks), the transfer case, the leaky differential, you name it.
All from FORD.

Counter-point: 2013 Flex Ecoboost. 20k miles. No problems whatsoever.

On Speed3, it is coming. Turbo 2.5G making 300hp+ + AWD to put the power to the ground.
End of 2016 as 2017 model. The same engine will be used in next FMC CX9.
See above: LOL...

People LOVE to blame Ford, every car has problems. The CX9 is still FAR cheaper and easier to work on than anything built in Europe.

Bring back some kind of RX sportscar because it's the roots of the brand. A clean RX-2 goes for around 15k, and it's not because of the late 60's Japanese styling. Screw the watered down RENESIS, I want a 16X or even a reworked 20b.

I'm just saying, a halo car, preferably one with a rotary engine would be nice to see. A car that competes with the GTR and the LFA...both of which are around to make a statement, not a profit. The new MX5 is finished, now flex some muscles!

Bring back some kind of RX sportscar because it's the roots of the brand. A clean RX-2 goes for around 15k, and it's not because of the late 60's Japanese styling. Screw the watered down RENESIS, I want a 16X or even a reworked 20b.
It's funny you call the Renesis watered down when it makes nearly as much power as the first incarnation of the FD while not requiring two turbochargers and getting better fuel economy.

I'm just saying, a halo car, preferably one with a rotary engine would be nice to see. A car that competes with the GTR and the LFA...both of which are around to make a statement, not a profit. The new MX5 is finished, now flex some muscles!
Problem is, no one's going to buy a $100k Mazda. That's why the FD failed so miserably in the U.S. in the first place. It was too expensive.

Considering the "Mazdaspeed" moniker is dead. I find it hard to believe a "Mazdaspeed3" is in development.

No one was buying a $100K Nissan before the GTR, and the same can be said for the Toyota and the LFA...Ford the the GT? Honda and the new NSX?
A new Landcruiser is damn near 100k. For a Toyota truck.

The RENESIS engine is universally known as a downgrade. Yes better fuel economy and they made some power out of the box, but they are not built to last and they're not built to make big power.
Watered down.

I spent last weekend at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway attending the the Sea Otter classic bike race. That's a pretty big expensive facility for a carmaker that's done making performance cars.

No one was buying a $100K Nissan before the GTR, and the same can be said for the Toyota and the LFA...Ford the the GT? Honda and the new NSX?
A new Landcruiser is damn near 100k. For a Toyota truck.
The difference is Nissan (Infiniti), Toyota (Lexus), and Honda (Acura) have traditionally sold high-market vehicles. I can't explain the Landcruiser though. I'm not sure why that's still offered in the U.S. How's Hyundai's attempt at the upscale market going?

The RENESIS engine is universally known as a downgrade. Yes better fuel economy and they made some power out of the box, but they are not built to last and they're not built to make big power.
Watered down.
To enthusiasts and fanboys, yes. Is the 13B-MSP really any less reliable than the 13B-REW? Mazda isn't concerned about the ability to build for big power so that shouldn't be taken into consideration. Either way, the 13B-REW or 20B argument doesn't matter because there's no way Mazda could put either into a vehicle and meet emissions regulations.

I spent last weekend at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway attending the the Sea Otter classic bike race. That's a pretty big expensive facility for a carmaker that's done making performance cars.
Mazda doesn't own Leguna Seca. They are the primary corporate sponsor and have declared it their "home track." They may be done making "performance cars" but they're still very involved in motorsports of all levels.

Nissan has traditionally made high market vehicles? Such as the 350z or that great looking new Infiniti QX80 SUV? lol

Not concerned with making power? I'm pretty sure we're agreeing on that one. Mazda needs a halo car.

Yes, the Renesis is less reliable than a 13b. I can think of about two Renesis into an RX-7 swap, but tons of the other way around.

I didn't say Mazda owned LS, they definitely pump millions into it though. The signs everywhere around the track say "On any given day, there are more Mazdas on the race track than any other automaker". So I guess they're still involved, but not participating anymore and the signs are coming down?

Hyundai and Kia are Korean. Different country. Chevy will never make a Ferrari and Kia will never make an NSX. Mazda CAN make a world beating rotary powered supercar though. LeMans is nothing to disregard.

Hyundai and Kia are Korean. Different country. Chevy will never make a Ferrari and Kia will never make an NSX. Mazda CAN make a world beating rotary powered supercar though. LeMans is nothing to disregard.

Lexus, Acura and Ford ALL lost money building the LFA, GT, and NSX, Mazda cannot afford to build a car they will lose money on at this point.

Chevy is building a mid engine C8 vette, maybe not a ferrari but close.

Nissan has traditionally made high market vehicles? Such as the 350z or that great looking new Infiniti QX80 SUV? lol
Even a fully-loaded Z comes nowhere near what you're envisioning. The GTR was an appropriate comparison and honestly that's the only example I can think of where an "for-the-masses" brand is successful at selling a high-priced car. The Infiniti proves my point though. Nissan (Infiniti) already has high-market vehicles. Mazda does not.

Not concerned with making power? I'm pretty sure we're agreeing on that one. Mazda needs a halo car.
We're still not on the same page. Mazda doesn't care what its owners do to increase the power of their cars. Their cars aren't designed to be modified by the end user so to use "modability" as a measure of a car doesn't make sense; at least to manufacturers.

Yes, the Renesis is less reliable than a 13b. I can think of about two Renesis into an RX-7 swap, but tons of the other way around.
Barring the early model RX-8's I don't see how the 13B-MSP is any less reliable than the 13B-REW, which is guaranteed to need a rebuild before 100k miles, even in stock form. I don't consider "modded" reliability relevant in this discussion; see above.

I didn't say Mazda owned LS, they definitely pump millions into it though. The signs everywhere around the track say "On any given day, there are more Mazdas on the race track than any other automaker". So I guess they're still involved, but not participating anymore and the signs are coming down?
And those advertisements are still probably correct. Star Mazda, USCR, CTSCC, all have direct Mazda corporate involvement. Also, consider the thousands of amateurs racing in SCCA, NASA, etc. under Mazda Motorsports contingency so I don't see how you can say their participation is coming down because they don't have a "halo car" or aren't making a new MS3.

Hyundai and Kia are Korean. Different country. Chevy will never make a Ferrari and Kia will never make an NSX.
I don't see how Hyundai/Kai being from Korea is any different. They don't have a high market brand and their attempt to sell high market cars has had very limited success. The new Corvette is nothing to blatantly disregard. Fully-spec'd versions are nearing, if not over $100k and race versions have more than proven themselves against Ferraris.

Mazda CAN make a world beating rotary powered supercar though. LeMans is nothing to disregard.
People keep referencing Le Mans and seem to forget there were several circumstances leading to Mazda's win that year; design only being one of them. It isn't something to disregard but that doesn't automatically mean the Wankel engine is the best answer today.

Since when is mazdaspeed dead? Link?
I'm pretty sure I spoke to Marlon about this. He's closer to Mazda than I am. Feel free to PM him. But if you look for anything "Mazdaspeed" you'll see it's all be replaced by "Mazda Motorsports."

Lexus, Acura and Ford ALL lost money building the LFA, GT, and NSX, Mazda cannot afford to build a car they will lose money on at this point.

Chevy is building a mid engine C8 vette, maybe not a ferrari but close.
I can't comment on the losing money statement but Toyota, Honda, and Ford certainly have a lot more money to risk than Mazda. Only in the past decade has Mazda established itself as a mainstream auto maker.

I'll believe the C8 'Vette will be mid-engined about the same time I'll believe Mazda will release a new AWD, 300 HP MS3, or rotary sports car.

Back