Mazda CX9 -2010 - Battery dead issue

piyushkt

Hello

I bought New Mazda cx9 2010 in March 2010 , since then I am having issue with battery . My battery keeps getting dead. ( 741 miles)

1. Heated seat recall done.
2. Got battery replaced in March end.
3. Started seeing same problem since friday 5/21 . Already jump started 3 times between Friday morning till Saturday afternoon.
4. Drooped my car on weekend at Dealer.

5/24 - Dealer is saying probably they have to replace my battery again .since its dead again.

anyone seeing same type of issue ? is my car a lemon ?

I will ask the obvious question first:

Did they actually replace the battery, or just recharge it and cross their fingers?

What you described is exactly what happens after you've drained a battery once. The plates never recover, so each time the cars system charges it, it can't hold it, even when the car is off, and bleeds off.

Have it checked again, and ask that the battery be replaced again. Before you go in, though, put some kind of mark on the battery that no one will notice, or would assume was caused naturally, like a little notch with a knife blade. Then after they 'replace' the battery, see if they really did.

I don't think your car is a lemon, but your dealer may be.

This is a good example of why you should always ask them to show you the problem with the old part once it's replaced. That way you know they actually did it.
Most of the time they do, so rather than demand to see the defective part accusingly, simply ask if they can show you what the problem was by using the defective part as a guide.

Last edited:
Yes they Replaced New Battery since I opened case with Mazda. Problem is somewhere else as 2nd Battery is also gone , I got call from Dealer & he is saying he will be replacing new battery as his diagnostic is not showing any leakage issue .

how can new car has battery dead twice in just two months >

If you're sure they replaced it, then there are three possibilities:

1. The new battery happened to be defective.

2. Something else is still draining it.

3. It's not being charged.

If you're comfortable under the hood, check both battery terminals. Loose (or corroded) terminals will produce symptoms much like a bad battery.

Last edited:
Thanks ! I am sure unless they find root cause of issue , I am going to see same issue every couple of months.

not sure I can file for lemon law .

There is a recall for early 2010 models for the front seats heater that's defective and draining the battery or possible fire.

Mine was built in Feb 2010, and when I asked the Customer Care, she said that mine doesn't need any TSB/recall.

Oopss, didn't read that you got the recall done. Maybe they gave you the older module???

Last edited:
I also had doubt in recall work but my dealer rechecked heated seats recalled work & confirmed back saying results are good , no issues with heated seats.

If there is a choice, I would go for another dealer if I were you.
You should not be that lucky to have two bad batteries in a row.

Silly question but I will take a chance...

Do you have anything plugged in to the power oultlets (inside the armrest and right reat quarter outlet by any chance?

Do you have a multi-meter?
You can buy one at RadioShack or Fry's (very useful).
With it, you can measure how much current is drawn when the engine (and all lights) off.
It should be very minimal (look up internet for a common-sense value).
If the current draw is reasonable, then, it is the battery or alternator.
In any case, it is under warranty. I'd let dealer worry about it, one that does not tell you that your batteries need to be replaced TWICE.

thanks I also doubt its alternator , but dealer is saying he is not seeing any issue when he is running test for alternator.

question is how can battery just go dead in one day without giving you any symptoms?

I didn't see any prior indications , its just went dead suddenly , same thing happened first time also.

Learned this From Motorcycles

Sometimes a new battery will turn up its toes simply because the negative terminal isn't properly grounded to the vehicle. The most common cause is a spot of paint or primer between the cable and the frame. Easy to check.

In spite of it all, I would pull my heated seat fuse for awhile and see what does or does not happen.

Anyway, good luck with it.

update - 6/9/10.

I got same issue after just week & guess what they third battery also gone dead & this time just in one week , they have called Mazda engineer to look into this issue.

I have talked to lemon law lawyer & they are saying this case is eligible for lemon law.

I filled Lemon law & Mazda is buying back car. I am done with this car.

Post the VIN, please, so that the next guy (who is smart enough to google VIN before buying an used vehicle) can find out the past history of your poor CX9 and make a smart purchase decision.

Back