Mazda CX-5 2015 sitting unused for months

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
Hey guys

I have a 2015 cx-5 that i want to garage for 3-6 months without starting it up in the summer. Other than filling up the gas tank and disconnecting battery, what else should I do? I'm asking because I'm hoping these modern cars are designed for these sort of situations. the car will have 15,000 miles on it with 5,000 miles since last synthetic oil change. Leaving for tour so can't start car up every so often.

Maybe add some STABIL to the gas and run it a few minutes so the STABIL goes through the fuel lines. Might help keep the gas from gumming up.

Jack It Up...

Any way you can jack it up to take the load off the tires? I understand (if I'm wrong please somebody correct me), that if a parked vehicle is left unattended for a number of months the tires can "flat spot".

The following was taken from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42 in which they stated: "Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flat-spotted."

CX5T Lover

Any way you can jack it up to take the load off the tires? I understand (if I'm wrong please somebody correct me), that if a parked vehicle is left unattended for a number of months the tires can "flat spot".

The following was taken from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42 in which they stated: "Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flat-spotted."

CX5T Lover

This is a concern. I've heard upping the pressure in the tires is a potential solution, I believe nominally this car is at 36, maybe pump by another 10 psi, just don't exceed the max written on the sidewall.

Fuel stabilizer, as mentioned.
Make certain it is stored where rodents will not nest in the vehicle.
Leave the existing oil, but change it when you return, before you begin driving it.

3-6 months won't permanently flat spot your tires.

That's about it.

Car cover to keep insect/rodent droppings from sitting on the paint.

If the car is left in the weather than spray some corrosion inhibitor on the rotors or they'll rust up quickly.

Hey guys
Other than filling up the gas tank and disconnecting battery, what else should I do? .

I store an MX-5 for 6 months every winter. You don't state whether you have indoor or outdoor storage. I store in closed, concrete floored, ventilated, unheated storage (with 20-30 other vehicles). Fuel stabilzer is added just before final fueling. Tires are inflated to the maximum allowable by the tire maker (in my case 50 psi). Battery is removed. All valuables and paperwork removed from vehicle. Vehicle is left unlocked as I would rather have someone access the interior and find nothing than damage the car to gain access for the same result. Vehicle is secured with an INTERIOR grade custom car cover. Insurer is contacted to reduce coverage to fire/theft/vandalism.

This approach has worked for years, and come spring just connect the battery, and the car immediately starts. Reduce tire pressure and then drive home so you can take out the owner's manual to review how to set the clock, redo infotainment settings/preferences and other related systems which 'forget' when the power is disconnected. Hope this moves you forward.

Brian

Hey guys
thanks for the info

The CX-5 will be in a Public Storage 10 by 20 foot garage during summer time in Los Angeles. Concrete floor and ceiling. Should i jack it up and place it on 4 stands? I've read that its better to change the oil before storing. Oil will have 6,000 miles at time of storage if not changed. Just want to do this right as I take care of my cars and even use the mazda oil and filter.

With a modern, properly running car and appropriate oil the difference between storing it 3 months with the used oil vs. fresh oil is probably negligible.

But since you are near oil change time anyway, it wouldn't hurt to change it first.

I probably wouldn't bother with jack stands. Tires are more prone to flat spotting when they are hot when parked (like after a hard or fast drive). Sport tires are more prone to flat spotting than run of the mill all-season radials. Just make sure they are well inflated and not hot when you park it.

Last edited:
When ever I need to park for extended periods, I like to have a fresh oil change before putting it to bed. Oil doesn't go bad sitting there. But leaving the dirty contaminated oil inside the engine is a lot worse.
Plus run some fuel stabilizer through the system before parking.

Every time we deployed, many people left their cars for up to 15 months. I don't recommend it, but almost all of them started right up upon return. The ones that did not, likely had per-existing issues

Last edited:
Oil Migration...?

Someone help me out on this. I thought if one left their vehicle unattended for a long length of time the oil in the upper cylinders would migrate to the pan... and thus, when the engine was started, the cylinders would be scored because of lack of lubrication.

CX5T Lover

Someone help me out on this. I thought if one left their vehicle unattended for a long length of time the oil in the upper cylinders would migrate to the pan... and thus, when the engine was started, the cylinders would be scored because of lack of lubrication.

CX5T Lover

No worries, modern synthetic oil has much better persistence than old school oils and there will still be a thin film of oil. Besides Skyactiv engines have low friction piston rings which would be less likely to cause this.

I wouldn't worry.

Back