Mazda Connect display died the day we took delivery - user error

The center "Mazda Connect" display (Type B, I think) on our CX-5 that displays Car Play/Android play, GPS, etc, died the day we took delivery. My wife was getting out of the car and picked up her purse off the center console when the Mazda Connect display just died.

It turns out it was user error. If you press and hold the volume knob on the center console for a couple of seconds, it powers down the entire Mazda Connect system (not just the display.) My wife apparently pressed the button with her purse.

I scoured the (huge) owner's manual, and finally found a passing reference to this "Feature", but it's very easy to trigger accidentally. This seems like poor design. I bet a lot of people have the same experience we did, having their center display die and think something is wrong.

Yeah, it amazes me how it’s called out as a poor design due to misuse. Wonder when we’ll hear about the finish not being durable after bags have been dragged across it. Brand new vehicle and day one it likely already has been scratched up through lack of care.

There's a power button symbol right next to it.
People complained that the screen couldn't be turned off before; now Mazda adds the ability to turn off the screen and it's a design flaw?

The center "Mazda Connect" display (Type B, I think) on our CX-5 that displays Car Play/Android play, GPS, etc, died the day we took delivery. My wife was getting out of the car and picked up her purse off the center console when the Mazda Connect display just died.

It turns out it was user error. If you press and hold the volume knob on the center console for a couple of seconds, it powers down the entire Mazda Connect system (not just the display.) My wife apparently pressed the button with her purse.

I scoured the (huge) owner's manual, and finally found a passing reference to this "Feature", but it's very easy to trigger accidentally. This seems like poor design. I bet a lot of people have the same experience we did, having their center display die and think something is wrong.

Happy to hear it wasn't an actual component failure. Now that you're aware of what caused it, it will be easier to prevent it from happening again.

Happy to hear it wasn't an actual component failure. Now that you're aware of what caused it, it will be easier to prevent it from happening again.
Sure, now that I know what triggered it, it's no problem. However, Mazda should change the interface so it isn't so easy to turn off the Mazda connect system, and in the meantime let new Mazda owners know about this. It was quite confusing, and we ended up bringing it in for service, thinking there was something wrong.

I'm an IT person, and not prone to making dumb user mistakes. If this had me stumped, it very likely will do the same for lots of other people as well.

Sure, now that I know what triggered it, it's no problem. However, Mazda should change the interface so it isn't so easy to turn off the Mazda connect system, and in the meantime let new Mazda owners know about this. It was quite confusing, and we ended up bringing it in for service, thinking there was something wrong.

I'm an IT person, and not prone to making dumb user mistakes. If this had me stumped, it very likely will do the same for lots of other people as well.

Mazda did change the interface; owners wanted the ability to turn the screen off altogether, so they added that function to the Volume knob. The function is described in the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual (direct link here).

New owners of any brand they aren't familiar with, are very likely to visit the dealers for instances just like this, where a supposed problem is simply a misunderstanding or due to unfamiliarity. It can happen to anyone, regardless of the nature of their work or who they are as a person. With that said, the only way Mazda would do anything about this is to let them know how you feel about it, so I would suggest that you contact Mazda Corporate to voice your concern. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. Maybe they'll move the On/Off function to a different button if they get enough complaints.

I’m not certain this is as much of a “Mazda” problem as the OP suggests. It has very seldom been even mentioned on the CX forums, so most folks apparently haven’t experienced it. But of course it might be a good idea for dealers to mention this to their customers upon delivery. Sadly many dealers have trouble remembering to explain how to adjust the rear hatch opening….

Might as well get used to the fact that with today's high tech stuff, be it in cars, or computers, or washing machines, nobody will ever agree on every feature.
Just peruse different websites and forums, cars or otherwise, and you'll see what I mean.
There's always someone that has a negative response to certain features, or to operational systems etc., and people don't always see it the same. What may be a positive feature to some, is seen as a negative feature to others.
Car companies have a difficult enough task designing a vehicle that they think will make everyone happy. It is impossible. That's why they're all different.
When I bought my Mazda, I noticed a few quirks that I would have liked to see changed, added or eliminated, but I saw things in other cars that I cross shopped that I liked even less.
The Mazda had the most to offer for what I was looking for at the time, despite some minor features that I would have liked to have (or not have...lol).
In the end, be happy. Life is short.

Mazda did change the interface; owners wanted the ability to turn the screen off altogether, so they added that function to the Volume knob. The function is described in the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual (direct link here).
Despite the fact the link indicates that's the /2020/ manual it appears to be the 2021 version and a new feature for that year. The diagram of the volume knob in your link shows power and slide-to-seek icons. I have none of that in my 2020, only volume and mute, and the 2020 manual I've downloaded does not show those additional icons. I also tried to power off by holding down the volume control to see if it was an undocumented feature--nope, it stays on, trying it with the engine on in park and in drive.

It struck me in earlier discussions that complaints about the the lack of a power button was a failure of understanding or imagination. Under what circumstances is it preferable for the screen to be blank? I can't think of one. If one were to find the mute indicator splashed across the screen kinda annoying, then just hit the home button.

So do you accommodate a lack of understanding or imagination and add a new opportunity for user error in the bargain? You just can't win sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the fact the link indicates that's the /2020/ manual it appears to be the 2021 version and a new feature for that year. The diagram of the volume knob in your link shows power and slide-to-seek icons. I have none of that in my 2020, only volume and mute, and the 2020 manual I've downloaded does not show those additional icons. I also tried to power off by holding down the volume control to if it was an undocumented feature--nope, it stays on, trying it with the engine on in park and in drive.

It struck me in earlier discussions that complaints about the the lack of a power button was a failure of understanding or imagination. Under what circumstances is it preferable for the screen to be blank? I can't think of one. If one were to find the mute indicator plashed across the screen kinda annoying, then just hit the home button.

So do you accommodate a lack of understanding or imagination and add a new opportunity for user error in the bargain? You just can't win sometimes.

Yes, it appears that the link needs to be updated as I believe the new version of Mazda Connect with the 10.25" screen is the only one with the added On/Off feature. The link only shows photos and descriptions of the new screen.

The only situation I can think of where a blank screen is preferable to being completely off, is the start-up delay that would occur when you turn it back on. I can't imagine the delay being that much of a bother, but everyone seems to want everything to happen sooner than it does, regardless of how quick it is. Personally I have no issue with the On/Off function and where it's located, but I can't speak for everyone.

Yes, it appears that the link needs to be updated as I believe the new version of Mazda Connect with the 10.25" screen is the only one with the added On/Off feature. The link only shows photos and descriptions of the new screen.

The only situation I can think of where a blank screen is preferable to being completely off, is the start-up delay that would occur when you turn it back on. I can't imagine the delay being that much of a bother, but everyone seems to want everything to happen sooner than it does, regardless of how quick it is. Personally I have no issue with the On/Off function and where it's located, but I can't speak for everyone.
If I understand you correctly, with the power button added with the 10.25" screen for 2021, when you power off and then back on the screen flashes back on where you left off? That's what I would expect without having had an opportunity to try it. That would certainly be more convenient than a system reboot as at startup, not a byproduct anybody would have been looking for in an audio power button.

If it is as I just described, it really isn't the audio power button some owners were looking for, just the illusion of such--it's just mute with screen blanking, the difference being you don't have to look at a mute symbol on the screen, a cosmetic not a functional difference.

So, now you can do it either way, mute only or mute with screen blanking, an added feature with an added opportunity for user error.

Nit picking this stuff can become a hobby. For my money, it's a fine vehicle which could use a smoother shifting transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back