Mazda Car/Truck?

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Maybe Mazda should consider something like the Hyundai Santa Cruz. They might base it on the CX9 so it isn't too small. Of course they could start from scratch and come up with something great. I can't look down the road at the marketing possibilities but I bet it would be a hit. I don't think Chevy makes the El Camino or Ford the Ranchero anymore and I think they sold well. Could be a bigger market out there than people realize. They could even put a six in it like the rumors of a six for the CX5!

1630274072069.png

3rd-gen is a reskinned Isuzu D-Max.

The Chicken Tax made importing trucks too expensive. That why Toyota an Nissan make their trucks in America.

Fact is, the way Ford got around the Chicken Tax on the Transit (made in Spain) was they
imported them as a station wagon. When they arrived stateside, Ford ripped out the back seats, then removed the back side glass and replaced it with a metal panel.

I have owned two Mazda light trucks. The first was a used B2200. Not sure the model year but it was recent. Bought it in 2004. It was converted to a stakebed as 99% of pickups were in Colombia. I needed it to climb a pretty steep stretch of road with materials while I was remodeling a house and it had real trouble making the climb. I traded it in on a new 2005 B 2600 4x4 that came as a cab and chasis as Mazda had figured out that no one in Colombia wanted the stock pickup bed because a stakebed holds much more. I drove it directly to one of the many fabricators in Cali where you could choose between a wood floor so things wouldn't slide around or a steel floor that of course was more resistent. It was a wonderfull truck and to make a parking area at my house I had to haul several full loads of deadrock up that hill. First gear, low range and it walked right up the really steep section. I only traded it in later because I needed a 4 door pickup to carry passengers. But man it was a strong truck! When I bought my 2020 CX-5 the sales lady told me Mazda no longer sells light trucks. I think their last was the B-50 model pickup last sold in Colombia in 2015. Sadly Mazda stopped production of their vehicles in Colombia in 2014 and all current models come from Japan or Mexico.

I think Mazda would have to produce something on the order of the Nissan Titan or full sized Toyota to stay in the game and I think a "utility vehicle" like that is no longer in their interest.

Attachments

• IMG_3715s.jpg
    IMG_3715s.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 126
Well it's called roca muerta here so I just translated to "dead rock". I forget what it's called in English.

We get the D Max here sold under the Chevrolet label.

Looks like a Subaru Brat and Baja. Both lasted about 5 years.

If an El Camino would sell, Gov't Motors would make one. They dropped the Avalanche in 2013.

The best chance of a Mazda pickup in the U.S.A. is a rebadged Ranger, perhaps with a Skyactive L6, a la Fiata.

The best chance of a Mazda pickup in the U.S.A. is a rebadged Ranger, perhaps with a Skyactive L6, a la Fiata.
Highly unlikely that Mazda would support two different platforms worldwide. They chose the Chevy/Isuzu combination (note -- the Chevy Colorado is on the D-Max platform).

The US is not getting a new Mazda truck - better look to Hyundai if you are looking for a crossover with a cargo bed:

Back