Mazda beats VW... again

Eh, whether it's "better" or not depends on where your priorities lie. Some people don't care for driving dynamics and 0-60 speeds, and would much prefer a little more cargo space, or a third row option, or a slightly better infotainment system.

If I were cross-shopping the two, the CX-5 would be my first choice, hands down. Can't say the same for the next person though.

Ive never quite understood why VW SUVs are so expensive for the class. Always seems like the worst value out there.

As for the design, the Tiguan exterior is growing on me, but the interior already looks dated.

Just score a 2-3 year old used model for a really good price. I think they extended their warranty period?

May have to see the shop more often though.

My previous car, it was a Rabbit and I have owned it for almost 7 years and I did not have a single issue with it, I can't say the same thing about the CX5.
I'm not a fan of the new look of VWs, though. Except the Atlas and GTI.

Was it a 2.5l rabbit? If so those are bullet proof engines. Leased 3 VWs with 2.5l with no issues. The 2.0T vehicles had issues with electronics.

Was it a 2.5l rabbit? If so those are bullet proof engines. Leased 3 VWs with 2.5l with no issues. The 2.0T vehicles had issues with electronics.

My 2017 GTI with the 2.0T had zero issues in the 11K miles I owned it...lol.

20180901_155543.jpg

My 2017 GTI with the 2.0T had zero issues in the 11K miles I owned it...lol.

20180901_155543.jpg

Primary concern at 40k miles or so is DSG servicing at which the manual version is less maintenance. Otherwise just gotta keep the electronic gremlins at bay while under warranty. Hence why I always took my 2.0T in for oil changes as they always performed an update or TSB service during the visit. When I switched over to Mazda the updates and TSBs decreased. If I ever buy another VW 2.0 there's a VW/Audi independent shop near my house well versed in VW cars much cheaper than the dealer.

Eh, whether it's "better" or not depends on where your priorities lie. Some people don't care for driving dynamics and 0-60 speeds, and would much prefer a little more cargo space, or a third row option, or a slightly better infotainment system.

If I were cross-shopping the two, the CX-5 would be my first choice, hands down. Can't say the same for the next person though.

Exactly each has its strengths. I think VW should have made the non b cycle 2.0T available. That would have probably fixed most of the driving complaints. Mazda still would have the better transmission though. The Aisin units imo are just meh.

Exactly each has its strengths. I think VW should have made the non b cycle 2.0T available. That would have probably fixed most of the driving complaints. Mazda still would have the better transmission though. The Aisin units imo are just meh.

The VW 2.5l inline 5 cylinder engine was fairly unique. I thought the Aisin transmission it was matched with is the same found on Toyotas?

The VW 2.5l inline 5 cylinder engine was fairly unique. I thought the Aisin transmission it was matched with is the same found on Toyotas?

Yup its basically the same transmission afaik. The 8 is an evolution of that and also found in Toyotas as Toyota is a major share holder of Aisin.

Ive never quite understood why VW SUVs are so expensive for the class. Always seems like the worst value out there.

As for the design, the Tiguan exterior is growing on me, but the interior already looks dated.

Its worth noting the equipment at the fully loaded models compared here isnt the same. The VW has some stuff (panoramic sunroof, digital cockpit, 3rd row) that arent offered on the Mazda. I think the main miss on the VW is that you have to spend a lot to get LED headlights. So its apples to oranges IMO.

It*s worth noting the equipment at the fully loaded models compared here isn*t the same. The VW has some stuff (panoramic sunroof, digital cockpit, 3rd row) that aren*t offered on the Mazda. I think the main miss on the VW is that you have to spend a lot to get LED headlights. So it*s apples to oranges IMO.

All German cars in the US come with halogens stock. After a couple of trims and packages upward ($) you finally get Xenons/LEDs.

They used to have a stand alone lighting package you could add to lower trims. But now it seems like you just have to go for top trim.

Wow. The CX-5 is about a full second quicker to 60mph than the Turbo Tiguan in both AWD and FWD guise.

When we were replacing our minivan, the Jetta Sportwagen was at the top of the list. My wife and I went to Mazda to check out the 5 which was like a mini-minivan with the sliding rear doors, but my wife wasn't that thrilled about getting another boring car. The she saw the CX-5, which was just released, and wanted it and we ended up getting it.

And were still happy with our decision.

We drove the Tiguan before we bought our Mazda CX5 and did not like Tiguans ride one bit. It was harsh and noisy and unrefined compared to Mazda CX5. Besides that VW group has terrible unreliability both in the cars they manufacture and in the dealer service. The Germans seem to promise more than they deliver. Sorry, could not help that last line due to previous ownership of both VW and BMW. You learn the hard way.

Well I learnt the hard way that Mazda isn't a reliable car, I'm talking about my 2013 that failed to start twice, and had engine problems.

I've also noticed in the UK that some new models are having brake vacuum issues, which I had on my 2013 car, this is only on the diesel engine so the US will have a different experience.

Reliability of the VW brand in the UK is lower than the Mazda in surveys usually, but then in contrast its also said by whatcar mag that the Mk2 Tiguan is the most reliable car in sector.

In the UK we also get the 5 seater which is the model I've gone for, we do not get the auto you get but a 7 speed DSG, boot is actually bigger than the CX-5, but only because the rear bench can slide 6" forward or back. The virtual cockpit is standard on the SEL I've ordered along with LED headlights that auto dip.

As post two says it depends on what your priorities are, and wanting a change after 5 years with a CX-5, one was a different car altogether.

I'm sure eventually Mazda will catch up to the Tiguan but I'm not prepared to wait. I suspect the next cx-5 with have a virtual cockpit and extra gears, and with AA standard.

Last edited:
I've also noticed in the UK that some new models are having brake vacuum issues, which I had on my 2013 car, this is only on the diesel engine so the US will have a different experience.

Hi Xtrailman

Is this the 2018 models and if so what is your source? My 2016 has been fine with no engine issues or brake vacuum issues. You keep harking back to your 2013 model which you no longer have.

Back