Mazda aims to boost owner loyalty

MSP4EVER

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5
LOS ANGELES -- Mazda North American Operations is staging a comeback. But much of the automaker's success will depend on its ability to enhance customer loyalty.

Mazda's U.S. sales are up 4.8 percent through September. The company successfully launched the Mazda3 compact sedan and hatchback. Sales remain strong for the Mazda6 mid-sized sedan, hatchback and wagon.

The RX-8 sports car survived an early snafu regarding overstated horsepower and is close to meeting sales objectives.

Mazda dealers and executives attribute much of the automaker's success to its ability to attract a large number of customers who are new to the brand. At the same time, Mazda has one of the lowest customer loyalty rankings in the industry, market research studies conclude.

According to the J.D. Power Customer Retention Study released last December, Mazda had the industry's fourth-worst loyalty scores. Only Suzuki, Oldsmobile and Isuzu did worse.

The industry average for repeat customers was nearly 50 percent. That is, half of all consumers were loyal to their brand when they bought a new car.

Mazda's loyalty score was just 22.2 percent. By comparison, Mitsubishi scored 36.2 percent and Hyundai scored 54.3 percent, the study reported.

Badly treated buyers

Dan Lawlor, senior analyst for quality and customer satisfaction research at J.D. Power and Associates, says customers complained about poor treatment by Mazda sales and service employees, as well as poor quality and poor resale value of Mazda vehicles.

As John Mendel, COO of Mazda North American Operations, puts it: "You can't treat people like crap and expect them to keep coming back to you."

Mazda is starting a comprehensive program to bolster customer loyalty. Steve Odell, senior managing executive officer of Mazda Motor Corp., cites three elements of that effort: better product, more exclusive dealerships and better treatment of customers in the back shop.

Mazda needs to fill in the gaps in its lineup, such as a sport wagon and a larger SUV. It also is preparing replacements for some of its aging vehicles.

"We're in 50 percent of the industry categories by volume," Odell says. "There's an opportunity to broaden our appeal, and that will help our loyalty and retention."

A stronger product line will improve resale values. The Mazda3 has gained 11 percentage points in its 36-month residual value over the Protege it replaced. That gives the Mazda3 the best value in its segment, Odell says.

Mazda is pushing its dealers to build more stand-alone stores. Employees of an exclusive store will give the brand greater attention, Odell asserts. Mazda also wants dealerships to build customer satisfaction and loyalty through improved service.

"It's about processes and after-sales care and attention," Odell says. "It's about customers being able to book service calls online. That's the long battle for us."

Dealers want more

Some dealers express resentment at Mazda's entreaties. George Pelton, owner of the multiline First Team Auto group in Chesapeake, Va., says Mazda is not giving dealers adequate advertising and incentive support.

"The Mazda3 and Mazda6 are a wonderful change," Pelton says. "But it takes more than just good product to get the job done.

"Mazda is not as supportive as they need to be," he says. "If they continue to support the dealers with consistent advertising and programs, then the image will grow."

There are positive signs. In a survey of owners of 2004 model vehicles by AutoPacific, a consulting firm in Tustin, Calif., 82 percent of Mazda owners said they would consider buying the brand again.

But AutoPacific President George Peterson says even that impressive-sounding performance by Mazda "would put it right in the middle of the pack."

In the latest J.D. Power APEAL survey of vehicle performance, Mazda finished 16th among automakers. Still, Mazda was the top-rated volume brand. All marques that finished higher are luxury brands or sell to narrow niches.

The results of Mazda's loyalty initiatives won't be known for a few years, when current Mazda3 and Mazda6 owners trade in their cars.

Says Lincoln Merrihew, an analyst with the Compete Automotive consulting firm in Boston: "Mazda's low loyalty may not be such a bad thing right now. Mazda is charting new waters.

"If its loyalty remains low three years from now, I would be concerned," he adds. "That would mean its new wave of shoppers did not stick around for the second wave."

-autoweek-

Personally, my mazda dealers were extremly nice, and have been very helpfull, even when I questioned what I could mod on my car before voiding warrenty. I would either go for a Mazda or a Honda next, though since I own a Mazda and know mine has been good, would lean more toward Mazda...
Would be interested to see what that study was like in Australia, loyalty to Mazda is fairly high from people I know...
(-:

maybe if they honored their FREAKING WARRANTIES then the customer loyalty would go up a bit :rolleyes:

my dealership has been ******* amazingly co-operative, and have offered to do alot of stuff for my car, that would usually void a warrenty..I mean, when I got the car, they where pratically throwing a boost controller, TT and new alarm in the car before I walked out the door...if I had the money, it'd be there. They sell the essential speed stage 1&2 kit on showroom floor even. They have been awesome, and my mom is now buying a car from them, as they serviced her CHEVY better than the GM dealer did, and did warrenty work for it for us...although, I've been told that not many other dealers are this good...maybe I was just blessed

my dealer is kinda ghey... The salesmen SUCK ASS! OMG I have sooo many stories. Anyways, ya a good approach would be to revamp the dealerships... I know that's my biggest problem with the car.

My mazdaspeed dealer (diamond, only one is Baton Rouge, LA) has been indescribably crappy. I like the car, (though my suspension has now gotten to the point where it's warping the BODY from the rear clunk, and they say it's normal), but am not happy with my 18 MPG (always got 18 - 18.5 MPG with it, and LOTS of soot on tail pipe and around tailpipe, again "that's normal on new mazdas" (owned) and so on and so forth, hell I could go on for like 30 min, but don't wanna think about it, just wanna fix it. Needless to say, I feel my warrenty is worthless, compleatly as well as my extended 100K mi warrenty. And mazda of america says "each dealership is responsible for their own actions. We do not regulate the dealerships, they are independant (ie. FU, not our problem, it's between you and your stealership)"
I will probabbly not buy another mazda,
I WANT A FREAKIN WARRENTY THAT WORKS!!

..... that said, I do like my car, and am spending money I do not have to make it fixed (vs the stock version), dunno what to do about millage though, hopefully I won't have to get an ECU controller/programmer system to fix it.

Interesting Press Release...Wake up Mazda!...you've got one foot in the door with the new lineup but it sounds like you have a lot more catching up to do!

I've been to 6 different Mazda dealerships in 2 states and the service has been terrible. The employees were always rude and cocky. I've never left satisfied.

Once I brought my car in, took a picture of the odometer with my phone camera as I dropped it off. The service agent said they would test drive the car to see if they could duplicate the problem and go from there. When I picked the car up, she said they drove the car about 6 or 7 miles on the highway to the next exit, then turned around and came back and couldn't duplicate the problem. That means he would've had to have drove it 12-14 miles total. When I got in the car and looked at the odometer, there was 1 mile put on it and I still have the problem to this day. So after being without my car for 2 days and paying $95, I still have the problem.

Next time I tried a different dealership. They didn't honor my warranty when I brought my car in with a ceased caliper after only 9200 miles. They told me that was nomal wear and tear and said it would be around $900 to repair. A CEASED CALIPER IS NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR AFTER ONLY 9200 MILES??!!

Despite how much I love my car, I don't think I'll ever buy another Mazda simply because their service is sooooo terrible.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Mazda slacks behind Mitsubishi!! Mazda QUALITY might not be there yet when compared to Toyota or Honda, but I personally think that if you take out the Evolution from the Mitsu line-up they have nothing that's worth driving. Mitsu Montero of a few years ago was designed so narrow that when you traveled high speed the SUV would wobble on the straight road less you have a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel. The previous generation of Eclipse interior was soooo cheap. I sat inside the Mitsu Eclipse GT for a test drive and touched the center console, the plastic crap felt like it was loose as it shifted left & right freely.

So far Mazda RX-8 seems to have very good feedbacks from owners in general, and that's surprising since the previous generation of rotary engine was famous for problems. Mazda 6 seems to be very popular.

Like everyone else, I hope Mazda's customer service will be better and better. I have had negative impressions with Mazda in the past, but these recent few years I have had better service AFTER buying their cars (323, MP3, MSP).

Besides the 323 (out of highschool, needed a car, this was a very cheap car) I think I have stuck with Mazda because of their innovations.

Mazda MP3 was one of the few cars available with everything a ricer (a beginner car enthusiast) would want off a dealership parking lot without having to lift a finger to modify it. MP3 player that is available in most cars today, 17" rims with performance tires that are now widely available on sub-30 grand vehicles, smaller (Nardi) steering wheel that is showing up in today's car, and a sick body kit that Toyota charged $2,000 extra for their Celica GT-S. Stiffer OEM springs and better OEM shocks that I think other car manufacturers of sub-$25K cars had no clue about.

Mazda has been focusing on turbocharged vehicles (it's cheaper to sell than having to throw in a V8 engine for more horsepower)... but you also notice that BMW and Mercedes are also starting to do the same thing (BMW 335i for example). So I have to say that Mazda has it's plus in giving us the "cool" factor before the competition at a reasonable rate... for a long time the Integra Type-R was the measuring stick for pocket rockets sub-$25K, but it was nice to see some of the magazines out there prefer the MSP over the ITR at the time of the release. My point is that Mazda seems to have been pretty good at giving customers the "over-all" package (thus the Zoom Zoom mentality) while other manufacturer focused on just one part of the car.

If Mazda beefs up the mechanical quality of the cars they manufacture they might not have as many customer bringing it back to the shop for repair. I felt like some of their mechanics and service managers from the past had a "I do not care about these cheap Japanese cars" attitude when you returned for service... it seems much better lately, so I hope the best for Mazda's products and services in the future! (hi)

Last edited:
I would either go for another Mazda or Subaru next. But for me it's a really tough choice between the two. If I have a bigger budget it would be Lexus or BMW.

Latest posts

Back