Mazda 6 breaks on MSP

bfowler

:
03 mp5, yellow!, 03.5 msp
I have been searching and reading a lot of info but i'm still trying to find a definitive answer.

do mazda 6 breaks / pads / rotors work with the msp?

i think i am reading that they do, but the rears have a issue with the parking break?

i dont think i want to go as extreme as ms6 breaks

i was under the impression that the regular mazda6 brakes were the same size as the MSP brakes, so no advantage to MSP owners. the upgrade to regular mazda6 brakes is only beneficial for regular protege5/ES owners.

It depends on which year MZ6 you get but for the MSPs the regular 6 brakes aren't much of an upgrade if at all for what it costs.

hmm, i am seeing that now.

i dont want to run ms6 breaks as i want the option of running smaller wheels in the snow/rain season...sounds like i should just go with good breaks that are the same size as stocks...

thanks for the help!

The rear brakes are larger.

You may require to make an extension for the MSP cable to apply the MS6 brakes

They are BOLT ON.

You should put the Left brake on the Right side and Right on the Left side. It will become apparent why when you install them.

hmm, i am seeing that now.

i dont want to run ms6 breaks as i want the option of running smaller wheels in the snow/rain season...sounds like i should just go with good breaks that are the same size as stocks...

thanks for the help!

for that matter, just get some better pads and call it a day.

i did see that the cables connect in the back...switching would move em up. if i go through with it, i will do that for sure

Not to mention the speed6 brakes are designed to handle a 3600lb car that was meant to be driven aggressively. With the MSP only weighing in at 2800lbs it seems like the speed6 setup is overkill. I just have ss lines and ceramic pads and my brakes feel great. A new brake reservoir fluid cap also made a big difference in brake feel.

yeah, for the protege, the speed6 brakes are WAY overkill. the MSP brakes are good enough with the right pads. plus, the speed6 brakes weigh almost twice what the MSP brakes weigh, which will have a negative effect on your handling.

So then if ms6 brakes are overkill why do some people get 4 piston Rotora kit? Idk about you guys but I would rather be over prepared than under.

So then if ms6 brakes are overkill why do some people get 4 piston Rotora kit? Idk about you guys but I would rather be over prepared than under.

because they can. big brake kits are more for looks than anything else. if they were THAT beneficial, the racers would be using them... and they dont. upgraded pads will do more for your brake performance than bigger calipers and rotors. ESPECIALLY for a street driver.

Brakes are the one thing you can never have too much of...

there is a limit. when the users current brakes are good enough for 99.9% of encountered situations, there is no further benefit to be had from further upgrades. i talked to a racer who had MSP brakes on his car with upgraded race pads, and he said they were too effective for all that he used the car for. so much so that he had to DOWNGRADE the front pads to match the performance he was getting out of the rears. (with the same pads on the front and rear, he was getting too much front bias.) something to consider...

Ummm, That is why I installed a Bias Valve...

BrakeAdjuster-1.jpg

Most protege owners dont want (or cant afford) to drop that much money on a mod. Especially considering the actual benefit you get out of it.

Back