May have to sell the P5

Tetsubo

Contributor
:
2013 MS3 w/ Tech
Well, as you see I may have to sell my protege5 here soon. The icecream turned to s*** real fast the other day. I have 3 check engine codes popping up and may be too expensive, rather too much than I want to put into it for my DD.

Trying to get the most bang for my buck here and am trying to gather some options on other cars for around 10 grand max and near 50K miles.
Let me know what you think.

whats wrong with it? perhaps there might be a cheap fix?

for a 10k budget, i would look for a 2001-2005 miata. if you need a back seat, maybe a mazda3?

I've never really done a whole lot of research on Mazdaspeed MX-5s compared to the regular edition.

it doesn't have to be a mazdaspeed. only "REAL" difference is the mazdaspeed has a turbo.

P0401, P0421, P0660, tried the defouler trick.

From what I am told my Cat is a "California style"... could I possible get it programmed for Texas?
bottom line to replace the cat and solenoid came up to a bit over 1200.

Was even looking at some sort of Scion TC

Non fouler always works if do e right. P0660 isn't important and won't make the cel come on. Not sure about the other one

Plenty of people in Cali have successfully done the non fouler

Told me all that honey comb s*** has cleared out and worked its way down my exhaust.

NO! Don't get a Scion those are GIRL CARS!
LOL! What would you suggest?

P0401 MAZDA - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P0421 MAZDA - Warm Up Catalyst System Right Efficiency Below Threshold
P0660 MAZDA - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit Open Bank 1

------------------

Are you mechanically inclined to do it yourself?

Cat replacement is easy is you choose to do the header + fouler trick or find a cheap stock replacement.

$106 + $26 shipping for stock replacement.

!C!ggi(wBWk~$(KGrHqN,!iME0HTqkL)ZBNDQn(kp0w~~_12.JPG

EGR may just need a cleaning or you can buy new and replace. Easily replaced as well.

$86.89 + shipping for new EGR at Rock Auto.

getimage.php

Your P0660 is your VICS System:

Check the Valve on top of your Intake manifold and make sure it is connected correctly. If no difference then replace. Carquest has them but I do not know a price. Also this code can be caused due to the EGR Valve so there may not be anything wrong with this valve.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123756391-VICS-solenoid-broken-what-does-that-mean

VICSCarquest.png

Thank you very much for the information... I figured I could replace the Solenoid easily. Cutting into my budge for a drop or just new exhaust.

From what I've seen people who use the cheapo replacement Pre cats they don't tend to last long. No personal experience though

Ok, so I rounded off the bolt pretty good trying to get my O2 sensor off by myself. So, I took it up to a guy and he was able to get it off for me. I had the de-fouler ready to go as soon as he had it off. Well, I come to find out the O2 sensor won't bloody fit in the 1" hole I drilled out in the defouler. For some reason the sensor didn't look the same when I was watching other do theirs. I went up to Autozone and was poking around for pictures in their computer. Come to find out the person before me had some "universal" ones installed that had a bigger tip on them. I literally hit 12 auto parts stores today till I finally found a OEM one and was able to get it installed. The whole time the shop guy was nice enough to let me leave the P5 in the lot while I drove around with my brother in his Toyota.

I'm hoping this will help with the cat and allow me to pass emisions so I can enjoy the car for awhile longer while attending school.

Tetsubo, did you comment on my video on YouTube of my exhaust? If so, the seller was HDC autosports. If they aren't around anymore basically any seller is the same. It's gonna be $130 shipped usually.

It probably was me, guy who got the O2 Sensor off would fashion me a pipe for pretty cheap, if I got a muffler. Was looking for a better sound.

I drove the car over 200 miles and no light same on so I took it up to the guy who help me get the O2 sensor off and he inspected it for me. Good news the Protege5 passed so I am very happy.

mmmm. if you are itching for a new car then this might the time, but you will take a loss to sell the car with 3 CEL. all the code that you are a very common on any car this age. even $1000 repair is cheaper than any new used car you can buy.

the new used car cannot be guarantee to be "Check engine light free"

Latest posts

Back