Maximum REAR wheel spacer

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege ES
Ok, recently installed StopTech's BBK on my fronts, and had to add a H&R 15mm wheel spacer to make things fit. This change has made my car more than a little "darty" on the road, so would like to add a 15mm wheel spacer to my rear wheels (I'm dropped about 1") . . . anyone know if this will fit without rubbing? Or will I need to roll my rear fenders?

Well, since I didn't get any answers to this, I'm going to give 15mm a try very shortly (to match my fronts). Will report back with results.

Wheels are a +50 offset, so, if my math is right, this should make the net offset +35??

Ok, recently installed StopTech's BBK on my fronts, and had to add a H&R 15mm wheel spacer to make things fit. This change has made my car more than a little "darty" on the road, so would like to add a 15mm wheel spacer to my rear wheels (I'm dropped about 1") . . . anyone know if this will fit without rubbing? Or will I need to roll my rear fenders?

the car feels more "darty" because you effectively changed the scrub radius. adding rear spacers will not help with that feeling, but will make the wheels look more even. what are your complete wheel specs? (diameter, width, tire size...)

205/45/17 on 17" Kosei K1 TS (+50 offset)

Ok I'm an idiot -- if you would be so kind: WTF is "scrub radius" and how does it apply here?

I think part of the darty-ness is the fact that my LCA are shot, so things are sloppy and then I have to correct my line often (even on the highway). New LCAs with Pedder bushings are ready to go in.

scrub radius helps keep the wheels centered and is built into the suspension geometry. having worn out bushings and an out-of-spec alignment wont help either. get the lca's with new bushings installed, then get an alignment right away. that should make it mush tighter.

you should be fine in the rear with 15mm spacers and those wheel specs.

Have you run 15mm spacers or do you know someone who has -- or did you pretty much just do the math and figured that the net offset is ok? Just curious. I'll find out soon enough, in any case . . . getting all of my suspension bits installed late next week (including the spacers).

Going in the car next week: new tie rods, new LCAs with welded AWR reinforcements and Pedder poly bushings, KW v2s, CorkSport front and rear strut bars, AWR front camber plates, TigerTuning body braces (all 3), H&R 15mm wheel spacers. Would have loved to add the adjustable rear links being sold as a GB by a member on this forum, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get my hands on them in time. I figure that (rear links aside) I should be pretty much "done" with my suspension mods after this. Up next: rebuild and improve the transmission . . . probably will not go the PAR route, thinking about getting the GTX 3rd and 5th gears though.

basically, its been calculated based on what i am running. i'm running 16x8 +50 wheels with 215/45-16 tires, and 3mm spacers. i'm lowered about 1-3/4 inches in the back and i've never had any rubbing. (even with a full trunk and two adults in the back) your specs are only slightly larger than mine, and you are only lowered 1 inch. you should be fine.

i like to use this site for comparisons - http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Just to let you know - turns out you were indeed correct. I am running a 15 mm rear spacer (to match the fronts) with a 17x7 wheel (+50 mm offset) and 205/45/17s with very minimal rubbing (only on big bumps). To be fair my car is also running KW v2s and custom rear links (sold by AAC) and I am not lowered at all (compared to stock) - I'm on the highest KW setting. If I lowered my KWs I'd likely have more rubbing. Another possible solution is to go with a 205/40 tire (remove some sidewall height). But side-to-side rubbing is pretty much non-existent.

Back