Max (street) Potential

RipCordRage

:
Mazda, Miata MX-5 MazdaSpeed
Ok,
Sooo, I'm new to these forums, and been reading a lot, maybe not enough yet?!

I have a 2004 MSM (stock) and I've been reading about the Mazdaspeed 'upgrade path' from FM, and BTW have you seen that new supercharger???!!!! (headbang)

Ok, so here's the Q:
Does anyone know or want to share what upgrades they did and how that would compare to:

Mitsu Evo 8/9
WRX / STi
RX-8
Rustang GT
Others?

Basically, I'm trying to get a sense of $$ to torment factor I'll have and still be street-legal (whip)

My 99 isn't turbo...

Heck, the only "motor" type upgrades I've done are the racingbeat intake, and a custom catback...

dropping a lot of money on the miata's motor will run into diminishing returns quick. Its not a drag-race car...

Beef up the suspension even more, and you will love the car more. (at least, I did.... but I don't care about drag-racing... now, carrying more speed out of a corner... THATS fun!)

Since you've already got the MSM (aka the POWAR)... get some stiffer springs, some adjustable gas shocks, and some stickier tires.

as far as comparing to the other cars... depends on what kind of racing you want to do... as far as auto-cross.... i've both beaten, and been beaten badly by each of those cars (except the RX8... I'm pretty sure all of the autocrosses I've been to where there was an RX8 present, the couple guys with 8's were REALLY fast.)

But, I'm still learning....

It all depends on what kind of performance you're looking for. If it's straight line speed you're after, why'd you buy a Miata (or any small displacement 4-cylinder) in the first place?

Now, if you're talking handling performance, you aren't too far off most of those cars you listed. Get some better tires, stiffer springs, adjustable shocks, and get plenty of seat time...you'd be surprised how much that will help you in your quest to be quick.

You want more power?
Ever heard of the "Monster Miata"?
Basically it's a Mustang GT motor swapped into a MX-5 bay.
Some people would go ahead and stick a supercharger on there for s**** n giggles also. That would suffice. However, Mazda did not build the Miata with the intentions of it being a drag car. Superb handling is what makes this car a gem.
Good luck.

in australia as i've seen they make swaps with 13b of rx7. that would be a good choice ( for straightlines) even thought the philosophy of mx5 is driving a small fun-on-curves roadster.

why would having a 13b swapped hurt your handling?

And I agree, that's exactly what it's for ;). I saw a carbed 13b in a miata in a WELL prepared X-Mod autocross car. That thing was awesome!

the stock suspension is already good enough, though higher spring rates would match the stiff Bilsteins. FM springs + stock Bilsteins are a good combo. Better tires would be the first thing I'd suggest since the stock Toyos are so-so.

You can get about 240 hp at the crank with simple bolt ons - intake, boost controller to 10 psi, downpipe, catback, fmic. 330cc injectors or larger and you can increase the boost to 12-13 psi.

gr? said:
You can get about 240 hp at the crank with simple bolt ons - intake, boost controller to 10 psi, downpipe, catback, fmic. 330cc injectors or larger and you can increase the boost to 12-13 psi.

Stock ECU is in no way up to the task of that. That extra hit of power after 5000 rpm or so is the car going from 17:1 AF to 12.5:1, and thats at stock boost.

Save up for the Hydra, it completely transforms the car.

Back