2017~2024 Maintenance Schedule?

I'll let someone else speak toward if there is another schedule listed somewhere, I do not know.

However I do know that even my 2014 doesn't call out specific schedules for things like rear diff, transfer case, and it definitely doesn't say anything about transmission fluid. I even emailed MazdaUSA about that one and they decided to keep with the line of "its lifetime fluid" without defining what a "lifetime" is. So I just do drain/fill services periodically. Little overdo for my next one due to weather, but getting ready to do another. Different people have different intervals. I see some do it every 25-30k. Others every 40-50k. I'll probably start doing 30k intervals for mine.

As for rear diff/transfer case, no idea what the interval should be here. I got that done on mine a couple years back.

Trying to find the maintenance schedule for 2018 and 2019 cx-5, only found this:

seems to be missing Rear diff, transfer case, and trans fluid intervals plus timing belt interval. also not clear when non-turbo spark plugs should be changed.

is there a more complete schedule somewhere?
You'd need the 2019 owners manual. Maybe somebody will post a PDF.

You have a timing chain, not a belt, so no scheduled maintenance.

Given the various trans fluids are a matter of endless debate across model years (along with brake fluid), I suspect the 2019 manual will not be of much help. It's the same motor as 2020 so I'd expect the spark plug interval to be the same.

I was thinking 30k for rear diff, transfer case and transmission and every 30k thereafter. Maybe change trans filter at 60k. plugs at 75-100k? The workshop manual shows the procedures to change them so I doubt they are lifetime. They are so easy to change and relatively cheap, hardly makes sense not to change them, but i also don’t want to do unnecessary maintenance.

I bet if I brought my car in for service, they’d come back with a list of these things to change.

You'd need the 2019 owners manual. Maybe somebody will post a PDF.

You have a timing chain, not a belt, so no scheduled maintenance.

Given the various trans fluids are a matter of endless debate across model years (along with brake fluid), I suspect the 2019 manual will not be of much help. It's the same motor as 2020 so I'd expect the spark plug interval to be the same.
Brake fluid is every three years, also very easy to bleed through. When it starts looking dark brownish, it’s time to change.

Trying to find the maintenance schedule for 2018 and 2019 cx-5, only found this:

seems to be missing Rear diff, transfer case, and trans fluid intervals plus timing belt interval. also not clear when non-turbo spark plugs should be changed.

is there a more complete schedule somewhere?

Non-turbo plugs are to be replaced every 120k km (75k mi), as described in Schedule 1 in the link you posted.

Rear diff and transfer case oil only needs to be changed if the components are submerged in water, according to the manual. Mazda considers this oil and ATF to be "lifetime" fluids. Those who opt to change those fluids, change them on their own schedules. There are some DIY guides for the 1st gen CX-5, but I'm not sure if there are any for the 2nd gen non-turbo (or if they are any different from the 1st gen).

Non-turbo plugs are to be replaced every 120k km (75k mi), as described in Schedule 1 in the link you posted.

Rear diff and transfer case oil only needs to be changed if the components are submerged in water, according to the manual. Mazda considers this oil and ATF to be "lifetime" fluids. Those who opt to change those fluids, change them on their own schedules. There are some DIY guides for the 1st gen CX-5, but I'm not sure if there are any for the 2nd gen non-turbo (or if they are any different from the 1st gen).
I'm pretty sure the procedures are the same between gen 1 and gen 2. Only differences I am aware of is that Mazda changed the drain plugs for the oil from the hex to the flange. Wouldn't surprise me if they did the same for the ATF since it uses the same size drain plug.

Also I had misread and saw "turbo". Yeah for the 2.5L NA engine, spark plug schedule is every 75k miles and should be in the maintenance schedule. And as HardRightEdg said, it uses a timing chain, not a belt. Keep up with your oil changes.

Only other thing I'd say to watch out for is the drive belt tensioner. Those have a propensity to leak/fail and need replacement. Might be better in the gen 2's, but I think I recall some still having issues. Just visually inspect every now and then and make sure no oil leaking out of it.

Last edited:
I've been doing almost all of my vehicle maintenance since the 80's and this is what I go by (we have a few Toyota Prius so that's the hybrid stuff):

Oil/FilterEvery 6-months or 5,000 miles
Air FilterAs Needed (check every 6-months)
Cabin AirEvery 12-months (Charcoal)
Radiator CoolantEvery 5-years or 100,000 miles
Hybrid CoolantEvery 5-years or 100,000 miles
CVT/AT TrannyEvery 6-years
Power Steering FluidEvery 4-years/50,000 miles (Not Hybrids)
Front/Rear DIffsEvery 3-years
Transfer CaseEvery 3-years
LubeEvery 12-months
Spark Plugs/PCV and PCV Valve Hose/ Radiator Cap / Gas capEvery 10-years
Brake Fluid FlushedEvery 4-years/50,000 miles
Throttle Body CleanedEvery 25,000 Miles
MAF Sensor CleanedEvery 25,000 Miles
Tire RotationEvery 5,000 Miles

I've been doing almost all of my vehicle maintenance since the 80's and this is what I go by (we have a few Toyota Prius so that's the hybrid stuff):

I am surprised that you say you follow this schedule as basis for many vehicles? Much of that posted service times and miles is based on almost perfect driving and use conditions.

I am surprised that you say you follow this schedule as basis for many vehicles? Much of that posted service times and miles is based on almost perfect driving and use conditions.
Some of that schedule is actually more frequent than what the service manual calls for. To each their own.

Some of that schedule is actually more frequent than what the service manual calls for. To each their own.
I know this is debatable but not one is more frequent then needs to be on that posted list for average driving.
I think anyone that works in automotive service can agree based on service records. Forums because the highest membership is do-it-yourselfers are not and will likely never be a place to find accurate information regarding true preventive and normal service needs, after the new vehicle warranty expires.

Latest posts

Back