MAF relocation questions

ifaiZing

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey, everyone.

I just have a couple of questions that I wanted to ask since I have a Turbolife FMIC and was planning to install it before fall. So, I've been reading posts about relocating the MAF after the BOV and that it will have better effects and no surging. I have all the original pipes for the Turbolife fmic and was wondering how I would relocate it that way. My MAF is located on my cold air intake for now. For those of you who are more experienced, could you advise me on what to do and buy (pipes and/or clamps) in order to prepare to install it that way?

thanks!

you want the MAF between the throttle body and BOV, some will say they need to be evenly spaced to avoid any interference with the MAF reading. But, I don't really think it matters. Just measure a few inches away from the coupler on your throttle body, make a mark, measure the length of the MAF sensor and make another mark probably about half an inch after. Verify the length and marks with the sensor. Then buy two good quality couplers and four clamps. Cut the marked section out, put on both couplers and the sensor, tighten the clamps, BAM done. For added security, you can buy a tool to roll the cut ends like most kits are. Also, make sure your sensor is pointed the right direction when finished(arrow pointed towards throttle body)

you want the MAF between the throttle body and BOV, some will say they need to be evenly spaced to avoid any interference with the MAF reading. But, I don't really think it matters. Just measure a few inches away from the coupler on your throttle body, make a mark, measure the length of the MAF sensor and make another mark probably about half an inch after. Verify the length and marks with the sensor. Then buy two good quality couplers and four clamps. Cut the marked section out, put on both couplers and the sensor, tighten the clamps, BAM done. For added security, you can buy a tool to roll the cut ends like most kits are. Also, make sure your sensor is pointed the right direction when finished(arrow pointed towards throttle body)

Hmm...the space between the throttle and bov seems to be too close for the MAF to fit. Do you recommend that I buy more pipes and try to mod it that way? If so what pipes would I need to buy such as a 90 degree pipe or what? I'm trying to spend as little as possible when doing this. Thanks for answering my questions, bro.

I did a maf relocation today and so far no issues with any codes. (Please dont rag on my engine bay looking so dirty i have a rad problem where it boils out after i shut the car down cuz of insufficent cooling due to using a single core honda rad. i purchased a msp rad from a member so when it arrives i will replace n clean up)
now as far as cheap as possible i am broke child support has me nailed to the wall so i cannot buy pipes and all that so i decided to do a PVC PIPE setup.. Yes i said PVC. i instantly noticed the car pulls alot harder with the Maf and Bov relocation . i had the maf on the inlet to turbo and the Bov on hot pipe but now both are on my Diy HomeDepot charge pipe. it works so far
CAM00182.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I did a maf relocation today and so far no issues with any codes. (Please dont rag on my engine bay looking so dirty i have a rad problem where it boils out after i shut the car down cuz of insufficent cooling due to using a single core honda rad. i purchased a msp rad from a member so when it arrives i will replace n clean up)
now as far as cheap as possible i am broke child support has me nailed to the wall so i cannot buy pipes and all that so i decided to do a PCV PIPE setup.. Yes i said PCV. i instantly noticed the car pulls alot harder with the Maf and Bov relocation . i had the maf on the inlet to turbo and the Bov on hot pipe but now both are on my Diy HomeDepot charge pipe. it works so far
CAM00182.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey, don't worry about it. It's all cool. I have yet to clean mine too. By the way, can I get pipes from stores like Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes? Probably no silicone couplers, I know. I'm almost complete. I just need a few more items.

pvc pipes yea at home depot metal pipes i dont think they have them that diameter there but some people use exhaust pipes or cheap cold air intake pipes... the couplers i got off ebay they are cheaper there than anyplace else i found... this thing uses multiple different sizes so it was a pita to find the right couplers but now that i got em i know what i need.. and when my rad comes in i will do a pvc hot pipe cuz i read it will hold up and once they are both complete then i will paint them with high heat engine paint

Thanks, guys! For all the inputs and help. I didn't know about these sites before but now that I do, I'll put them to good use! Better than ordering from ebay from different sellers and waiting for different shipments. Thanks again! :]

Hey no shame in that...

Hey, don't worry about it. It's all cool. I have yet to clean mine too. By the way, can I get pipes from stores like Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes? Probably no silicone couplers, I know. I'm almost complete. I just need a few more items.

Before committing to relocate my MAF, I used some exhaust pieces from Pep Boys (pre-bent 90 degree elbows and straight sections. It confirmed that the my stalling issues where caused by the stock MAF location (which they were). It runs so much better with a relocated MAF.

Back