Lying Dealer Service Department

Thanks for the link. I've to think it over, nice but darn expensive.
You're welcome. And yes, agree they are not cheap. A simple continuity test using the leads on a volt/ohm meter placed across the metal points on top of a standard fuse can quickly tell you whether it's blown or not.

I have one to share . . . Went to an MB dealer to take care of "cat converter recall". Brought in my ML320, received a call from SA saying my engine mount had COLLAPSED, not about to collapse or something. Took the ML to other place for 2nd opinion, turned out the SA had flat lied to me, mounts were completely intact.

Another item on that ML320, had some serious engine oil leaking at 110K miles at front of engine. Leak was from timing chain cover, was quoted $2,800 including 12hrs of labor time. Didn't know a thing about car repair, got on the internet searched for it. It was very common known issue. Bought a rubber gasket (known issue - revised rubber gasket was all that's needed) and my $4.00 socket set from HF took 10 minutes, FOR ME!

After a few other issues with MB dealers, I've learn to take care of most things myself at old age of 50 something, haven't been to a dealer's office ever since except for a new vehicle or some parts purchase. I owe big thanks to the SA.

StPark,
I like your entire story until I read that...
50s is not old. I am in the 50s for many years now.. :cool:

Well, you need to read between the lines . . . I meant to say 50's is a bit too old to begin to learn to work on car repair. It was like close to 20 years ago. :)

My friend is a disabled veteran so he doesn't have the option to do his own work. He took his '04 Explorer to Pep Boys this week for an oil change and was told he needed a new air filter and cabin filter. He went for the air filter but decided to wait on the cabin filter. When I heard this, I said I could change the cabin filter for him and opened the glove box to demonstrate how easy they are to access. No filter. I just figured Ford had a different way of doing things so I did some Googling when I got home. Turns out the '04 Explorers never had cabin filters. I kind of wish he had said yes to the recommendation just to see if they would have "changed" it for him anyway.

Latest posts

Back