Loved My CX-5 in the Winter Snow! AWD Success! [LONG READ]

maxwax

CX5 Road Tripper
:
2014 Sky Blue Touring AWD
deer_canyon.jpg

This is sometimes my commute to work.

Hey everybody!

February 2015 brought 54.6 inches of snow to the Boulder, CO area and probably a bit more high up in the mountains where I'm currently living.

My 2014 AWD CX-5 Touring (2.5L) did EVERYTHING I ASKED IT TO and made me really proud to have chosen one...

* Comfortably passing 2WD cars and trucks that couldn't handle packed snow and ice.

Boulder is in a valley and if you take highway 36 towards Denver you have to ascend a large hill about a 1/2 mile long before you reach the top. I spent 45 minutes stuck in traffic at the bottom one day, listening to the radio because other cars were spinning their tires and couldn't make it up the ascent.

I would have never realized how bad road conditions were without those poor people because the CX-5 had been so confident and comfortable the whole day. Once they got into the right hand lane and out of my way, I gave it some gas and passed about ten of them struggling to get up the hill. While they spun, I just climbed with easy and comfort. Listening to the police radio the whole time, I heard they shut the road down as I reached the peak.

Then I continued on 36 occasionally going up another hill only to be behind another car without adequate tires and traction. When you drive next to a car that can't handle slippery conditions and you remain comfortable and in control it's a real validation of what you've invested in for driving.

* On several occasions I left Boulder and climbed another 1500 feet to where I live in the mountains through snowstorms with a mixture of falling snow, fresh snow, packed snow and ice on narrow switch backs and curvy roads that ascended up and down valleys. Each day was more comfortable than the next, but always fun knowing I could safely travel to and from home in slippery conditions with ease.

* One day I stopped and helped a Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD pickup get unstuck from the snow. My solution? A shovel. That middle 20% fold-foward seat back allows you to keep a real full size shovel for situations like this :)

* I drove without much of a care on a mountain gravel road with 8" of fresh unplowed snow on top. This was with three other guests and we wanted to travel from one mountain to another for lunch. So we took this shortcut road down switchbacks and curves into a valley then up the other mountain to our destination. I would never have tried this in a car lacking the CX-5's ground clearance. It was like a knife cutting through butter.

* My greatest success was driving home in a snowstorm, at 10PM, in the dark, alone. (Pictures below.) Snow started falling during the day, but I had to work late. By the time I left work, about 8-10 inches had fallen on my route. The first mile or two had been plowed a couple hours earlier leaving about 3-4 inches of fresh snow on the road. I drove slow and carefully and paid attention to when the AWD system said it was slipping. But mostly, I just drove and let the car handle it.

After the first two miles, I had another 10 miles to go, and they hadn't been plowed in hours. Mostly this meant driving in the tracks of previous drivers and the snow they pushed up out of their tracks put about 12-13 inches of snow on the road. I could hear the body of the CX-5 pushing snow under it as I drove along and was sure not to slow down for fear of getting "high-centered" stuck with a loaf of snow under my CX-5.

In the worst spot, the wind had blown over previous tracks and it was hard to tell where the road was. (See photo below.) Same conditions described as above: ascend and descend, curvy, windy roads in the woods. It was thrilling and scary to drive through such heavy snow with the thought that one slide might strand me in a ditch, slide me off a cliff, or slam me into rocks or trees. But I made it and it was GREAT FUN.

My success was based on several components.

First, I know these roads well and I drive carefully when conditions require it. I used the CX-5 manual gearing mode quite a lot to put the car in 2nd or 3rd gear, especially when descending and wanting to increase control and limit speed. This helped me avoid too much momentum and slide out of control.

Second, I had really excellent snow tires. I can't recommend snow tires for cold weather conditions enough and my Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUVs were a big part of gripping the road in awful conditions. These are pricey but worth every penny. I would often find myself (when conditions permitted) accelerating to see how much they'd grip then slamming on the brakes to see how much they'd stop. Always impressive results.

Third, the CX-5's AWD system did a great job of limiting wheel spin. I knew from experience that ascending certain curves on snow would cause a loss of traction, so I'd give it plenty of gas. The CX-5 AWD would listen to me and politely ignore me, giving the wheels only enough power to retain grip, keep moving forward and keep me safe.

I even got to see the "4WD" light come on. Didn't know your CX-5 has one? Neither did I. Ascending a particularly steep incline of packed snow and ice, the CX-5 illuminated the 4WD while on that hill because -- I think -- it was noticing a significant difference in the speed between the front and rear wheels. I think the front wheels didn't have much grip while the back ones did. I got up the hill fine, turned around, went back down(!) and tried again, but I couldn't get the light to come back on.

If you've read this far, it means you're interested in how the CX-5 really does in real world conditions in slippery conditions. If you're like me, you've spent time searching for "CX-5 Offroad" videos on Youtube because you want to believe this is a solid and capable vehicle for snow, mud and other dangerous conditions. You've probably seen artificial tests where Subaru attempts to demonstrate the superiority of their full-time all wheel drive system and make you doubt how good the CX-5 can be. It's not a Subaru, it's not a Jeep, it's just a crossover?

After this winter, I am completely satisfied with my CX-5 for slippery dangerous conditions. I don't have any doubt, I only have confidence. You need driving skill and caution, proper tires and realistic expectations, but if you have those, you should be ready to have some fun in your CX-5.

Disclaimer: I had a full size shovel and other gear like cold weather boots and clothes in my CX-5 for my adventures. If I got stuck, I was prepared to hike it out. Don't be reckless just because of my experiences.

I had my iPhone recording video my experience driving home on two of the most extreme nights. Here's a screenshot from that ideo of me passing a Subaru Outback that slid off the road and got stuck in a ditch.. This is the difference between real world and marketing videos.

subaru_in_snow.jpg

And here's an example of my scariest night when so much snow drift had covered almost all hint of where the road was. Reminder: this is 8-10 inches of snow, not the 2-3 you might get in the suburbs. The video is really shaky because the road conditions are smooth and snow is falling at the same time.

cx5_in_drift.jpg

Looking forward to next winter!!

I've had Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 SUVs on my CX-5 for two winter's now. They're at 9 32nds of tread left and I hope to get one more, maybe two winters out of them.

Reviews for these tires are consistently good, praising them for their features and performance. I'm a big fan of Bridgestone Blizzak's too, but after this winter, I think I'm hooked on the Nokians.

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

Wow! Good review, love the top pic with the deer.

We are moving to West Virginia soon after being in the DC suburbs for a few years and am excited to finally have to buy some snow tires for next season.

Thanks for the write up. I'd wager that your snow tires had a bigger role to play than awd. And you proved another point by passing or helping other awd motorists, it's all about your tires.

What size wheel are you running your snow tires? According to tire rack I can go as small as 16. Been eyeing tirerack for the Michelin x ice xi3.

Wow, awesome review. That's neat of you to describe everything in detail and show some pictures!

I even got to see the "4WD" light come on. Didn't know your CX-5 has one? Neither did I. Ascending a particularly steep incline of packed snow and ice, the CX-5 illuminated the 4WD while on that hill because -- I think -- it was noticing a significant difference in the speed between the front and rear wheels. I think the front wheels didn't have much grip while the back ones did. I got up the hill fine, turned around, went back down(!) and tried again, but I couldn't get the light to come back on.

If you read your manual, when that light comes on the AWD system is basically screaming for you to ease up. Not something you actually want to replicate.

> If you read your manual, when that light comes on the AWD system is basically screaming for you to ease up. Not something you actually want to replicate.

Yep. I read the manual that night because I thought maybe I'd unlocked a bonus features :)

If I recall correctly, it listed three things. Two were problems like ovearheating differential fluid and mechanical failure, but the last was a difference in speed between the front and rear axles.

I'm optimistically assuming that since it only happened on one specific place in really slippery conditions that matches up with that third description, and that it hasn't come on before or since, that my CX-5 is probably ok.

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't want anyone else to ignore any problems!

Last edited:
> Thanks for the write up. I'd wager that your snow tires had a bigger role to play than awd. And you proved another point by passing or helping other awd motorists, it's all about your tires.

I agree. If I had worn down OEM all season tires my winter experience would have been vastly different than with my snow tires.

I hope this thread acts as a motivation for anyone who lives with moderate or worse snow and has the financial means to get a pair of snow tires. They're really worth it.

Having said that, I know the CX-5 AWD system contributed significantly to my experience. It felt sure footed and well planted, especially when ascending hills and mountain roads. Probably the best way to describe it is that with a 2WD CX-5 I would have learned to drive differently and probably made more effort to give the road what it needs for me to get by. But with AWD, it was more like driving an automatic versus a manual: just drive and let the car figure things out for you.

Last edited:
I'm optimistically assuming that since it only happened on one specific place in really slippery conditions that matches up with that third description, and that it hasn't come on before or since, that my CX-5 is probably ok.

Oh, I'm sure there was no damage or anything like that. Just clarifying that it isn't a 'friendly' light like the TCS light is, but rather an indication that you are pushing the limits.

Spectacular part of the world you live in, BTW. I came to Colorado in 2011 for a conference, and drove from Estes Park to Boulder via (from memory) the 7, 72, and 119. Can't wait to go back!

so.. how much is Mazda paying you for these write ups?

Joking aside, great post!
Looks like the AWD and ground clearance got put to good use.

Not one penny.. [emoji1] I like to write and I'm trying to share the kind of real world, real owner experiences that I was seeking before I bought my CX-5. I used this forum for a lot of my research so I'm trying to pay some folks who wrote in 2013-2014 as well as support the folks who are shopping now..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy Maxwax,

Another great review, love hearing about the care and caution you used in your Travels.

Sounds like using those tires, high ground clearance, and the AWD really paid off. Living in Texas
it's kind of hard to justify Snow tires/wheels, but after this last Winter it might just be nice to
have them for the short winter months.

You have a very good and informative writing style, appreciate the time and effort you took to put this together.

Nice thread but I'm always wary of drivers who feel they are invincible. I see them in their GMC SUVs upside down in the ditch when conditions get iffy. MN has no noted mountains or many hills but we still put a set of 4 snow tires on the wife's Camry Hybrid. They make a huge difference! We are limited a bit by the ground clearance.

With my GT CX-5 and it's 19" wheels, it would be hard to find affordable snows in that size. Many have suggested simply slapping a set of 17" rims from the Touring model with snows. Mine is on a 3 year lease and I'll probably turn it in at the end of the lease - I really want that diesel engine! Just went through our first winter with the CX-5 and it was pretty mild. We never got a single snow event more than 4". Took the CX-5 to work once. It did OK for traction but 4WD doesn't really help for stopping.

I am on my 3rd car running Hakkapeliitas I identify with your experience of not knowing it is slippery until you watch others sliding around.

Story time. Years ago I was driving a Saab 96 with FWD and good snows I came to a stop at the bottom of a hill and watched while a 4WD full size SUV drove half way up the hill and slid back down 3 times. As he came back down the 3rd time I got out and greeted him and asked if he would wait while I gave it a try. He got MAD. I didn't have 4WD I didn't have weight ETC. I drove around him, put one wheel on the shoulder to get more traction then the hard packed snow in the lane, lightly applied brake along with gas (That was our traction control back then), and drove up the hill and kept on going. I glad I didn't get to here what the other driver said as he watched.

Your right, it is fun. I have left for work early hoping to beat the plows.

Frank

Reading these stories always makes me remember the car I was driving before the CX-5: A (modified to about 400hp) 2008 Mustang. That thing was loads of fun (sarcasm) in the snow/ice. I could lose traction on ice by simply staring at the gas pedal too hard. Snow tires helped a lot, but in very hilly Western PA, driving sideways to get up hills became common. I used to curse out people who'd slow down before a steep hill, knowing that if I had no momentum, climbing the hill would be a nightmare.

I can say that careful driving (and those snow tires) kept me from ever getting really stuck or having an accident, but a rear wheel drive car with too much power is not the best daily driver in snowy winters.

The CX-5, even with the stock A/S tires, is outright boring in comparison. That's not a bad thing.

Great write up! Very detailed and makes me wish I had AWD (and live where it snows!).

Just a word of caution, the manual states the 4WD is a warning light:

4WD Warning Light
On:
Flashing: Stop vehicle/tow to Mazda dealer.

Page 11 - CX-5 Manual

If the vehicle is running fine, it's probably nothing to worry about but it would not hurt to have it inspected at the next oil change while it's still under warranty.

A couple weeks after picking up our 2015 I mounted 4 General Altimax Arctic 225/70R16's on some used aluminum rims.
Only problem I had with (not Maxda) rims was need to move inside stick on wheel weights further toward the center to clear a tab,
clip on WW's on rim inside would have cleared fine.
As for how well the Arctics worked with our light midwest snow an ice, wife says "Definately no white knuckle driving now".

Taken from another site...
>>General Altimax Arctic = rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3. They're both Continental products.<<

>What size wheel are you running your snow tires? According to tire rack I can go as small as 16. Been eyeing tirerack for the Michelin x ice xi3.<

Good stuff. I like my CX-5 in terms of its AWD performance even with stock OEM tires.

It must be really superb with dedicated winter tires.

Back