Love the car, but much needs to be fixed

I bought the 2020 CX-5 with every option but the turbo engine (which I didn't want). There are many things I love about this car, but there are also many things about the car that are very disappointing and should have been corrected.
  • The "auto" climate control system is almost useless. The system blows outside cold air while the car is cold. The fan level is far too high and distracting when the car reaches temperature, and if you turn the fan down the "auto" turns off. The air conditioning interface seems to be buggy so it will blow hot air on one or both sides even when the temperature inside the car is far above the set temperature. The owners manual regarding this system is confusing and needs to be redone.
  • The lane assistance correction is not adjustable and just bounces you back and forth between the lines. I've heard the European models have the setting that will actually center you in the lane, making it useful.
  • The folding outside mirror software is buggy. Mine are set to fold when the car is locked but sometimes the car will get into a state where the car is locked and the mirrors not folded. Car has to be restarted to reboot.
  • The radar controlled cruise control sometimes locks up and ceases to work. Car needs to be restarted to reboot.
  • Way too many conditions in the electronics, like tying the parking brake into the sunroof, seat adjustment, etc. I still don't know why the tailgate opens sometimes but not others. It would be one thing if all this functionality was actually intuitive, But you are left guessing and have to resort to the sizeable owner's manual to do mundane things. Just as an example, there are seven pages in the owners manual about how the door locks operate.
  • Navigation system is awful and far less functional than android auto, which I now use all the time.
I could go on, but as you can see the problems with this car are mostly electronic and involve poor engineering. It feels like they add a feature, then just throw it on top of the buggy pile. The software needs a total redesign and revision. If and when this is ever done it should be offered free to those with compatible earlier models.

Have you taken the car back to the dealer to have them address these problems you are having ?

I bought the 2020 CX-5 with every option but the turbo engine (which I didn't want). There are many things I love about this car, but there are also many things about the car that are very disappointing and should have been corrected.
  • The "auto" climate control system is almost useless. The system blows outside cold air while the car is cold. The fan level is far too high and distracting when the car reaches temperature, and if you turn the fan down the "auto" turns off. The air conditioning interface seems to be buggy so it will blow hot air on one or both sides even when the temperature inside the car is far above the set temperature. The owners manual regarding this system is confusing and needs to be redone.
Yes. Between the fan noise and the wind/windshield noise, you don't even notice road noise.

• The lane assistance correction is not adjustable and just bounces you back and forth between the lines. I've heard the European models have the setting that will actually center you in the lane, making it useful.
  • The folding outside mirror software is buggy. Mine are set to fold when the car is locked but sometimes the car will get into a state where the car is locked and the mirrors not folded. Car has to be restarted to reboot.
  • The radar controlled cruise control sometimes locks up and ceases to work. Car needs to be restarted to reboot.
Especially in winter...it is almost useless from frost.

• Way too many conditions in the electronics, like tying the parking brake into the sunroof, seat adjustment, etc. I still don't know why the tailgate opens sometimes but not others. It would be one thing if all this functionality was actually intuitive, But you are left guessing and have to resort to the sizeable owner's manual to do mundane things. Just as an example, there are seven pages in the owners manual about how the door locks operate.
  • Navigation system is awful and far less functional than android auto, which I now use all the time.
Yes. Mazda maps is useless. Just use Google maps on your phone display.

I could go on, but as you can see the problems with this car are mostly electronic and involve poor engineering. It feels like they add a feature, then just throw it on top of the buggy pile. The software needs a total redesign and revision. If and when this is ever done it should be offered free to those with compatible earlier models.
Not enough 12V cigarette outlets, or installed in awkward places.

Center console is useless as it is too far back to serve as an armrest nor
a storage compartment which can access from seat. Is more accessible while standing outside car and leaning in.

Electronic parking brake hangs up.

Still too much chrome.

Useless matchbox/hot wheels size mini-spare

but the Positives...

The driving experience
Handling
Cornering
Interior Styling (not to be confused with functionality)
Great gas mileage(up to 38 mpg hwy)
Exterior Style
AWD

Positives still outweigh the negatives, but if they could just improve the interior and computer functionality...

Have you taken the car back to the dealer to have them address these problems you are having ?
I will do this Westy with the defects (e.g. mirrors) when I can replicate them. The other stuff, as I said, are just software bugs or design defects that need to be fixed in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, this CX-5 is one of the best cars I've ever owned. My sister bought a Subaru in the same class and the CX-5 is much better. However, my brother bought an Audi in the same class and the CX-5 is no Audi. It's too bad because it could be (and Consumers Report said it had gotten there), but until it brings the electronics up to speed it is not in Audi's league.

Glad you will get the defects looked into. I have to agree that some features are wonky at best. The navigation on my 2016 is severely outdated and not used at all. only have had this car about a month or so and despite its quirks its still a joy to drive.

However, my brother bought an Audi in the same class and the CX-5 is no Audi.
Just so I understand you correctly, a car that costs twice as much is twice as good? Your brother bought an Audi in the same class? I'd like to see that $28,000 Audi.

Sorry for being snarky, but one could also argue that their $19,000 Kia Soul isn't as dood as their brothers $28,000 Mazda

Last edited:
I will do this Westy with the defects (e.g. mirrors) when I can replicate them. The other stuff, as I said, are just software bugs or design defects that need to be fixed in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, this CX-5 is one of the best cars I've ever owned. My sister bought a Subaru in the same class and the CX-5 is much better. However, my brother bought an Audi in the same class and the CX-5 is no Audi. It's too bad because it could be (and Consumers Report said it had gotten there), but until it brings the electronics up to speed it is not in Audi's league.
Just wait til your brothers Audi gets a little older. All kinds of things stop working and cost an arm and a leg to fix.

A little snarky Hal, but no problem lol. The only reason I mentioned the Audi was because I've actually seen one in action and Consumers Reports said the CX-5 was as much car for less money. It isn't, but could be if it cleaned up the electronics IMHO. It's also an open secret that Mazda has been trying to move into this market.

Regarding Audi's as they age, I can't compare them to Mazda since this is my first. However, many in my family have owned Audi's and your prediction as to how they age seems well founded Hal.

A little snarky Hal, but no problem lol. The only reason I mentioned the Audi was because I've actually seen one in action and Consumers Reports said the CX-5 was as much car for less money. It isn't, but could be if it cleaned up the electronics IMHO. It's also an open secret that Mazda has been trying to move into this market.
Not meant to be snarky at all. Audi and BMW ‘s are beautiful cars. I just wouldn’t use Audi or BMW as an example of a quality vehicle without discussing their less than reliable performance as they age. In fact, I have a good friend here in Florida that purchased a 2020 Audi Q5. This summer she and her husband took it to New Jersey and the AC went out in North Carolina. When they got to Jersey it was sweltering. She took it to the Audi dealer they had purchase their previous car from and was told it would be 3 weeks before they could look at it. Took it to another dealer 45 miles away, spent 5 hrs and $400 and the dealership just filled the system with Freon. Said the recharge wasn’t covered under warranty. They picked it up, drove 10 miles with no AC. went back and the dealer said we don’t know what else we can do. When they got back home 2 weeks later and she contacted Audi about getting her money back under warranty and they denied the claim. She was so pissed she traded in her year old Q5 with like 8k miles on it for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature. In her opinion the Mazda is just about as comfortable and actually drives better. So that’s an Audi owners opinion. I know others that never keep their Audi or BMWs past their warranties for a reason. $$$$

A little snarky Hal, but no problem lol. The only reason I mentioned the Audi was because I've actually seen one in action and Consumers Reports said the CX-5 was as much car for less money.
No, they said the interior is Audi-like. The comparison stops there.

EDIT: Upon further review, it was Car & Driver that compared the cabin to an Audi. CR makes no such mention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now as far as Mazda is concerned, I have a 2021 cx5 Signature and my wife has a 2020 cx5 GT. The information systems were updated for the 2021 model year with the new 10.25 screen. It’s not perfect but the new info system, gps, surround cameras and screen are improved over the older 2020 version, but then virtually every cx5 review pointed out the info system as a weakness. Also I use the Mazda GPS all the time with really no issues. It took some time to get used to it was all. Often times I’ll send an address to my 2021 car via the MyMazda app. Which takes like 30-40 seconds and eliminates the need to enter the address in the vehicle. Again not available on the 2020 models. I find the on board navigation fine and particularly like having the NAV instructions displayed on the HUD. Finally we have not had any mechanical issues with either cx5 after appro 22k miles between them.

There are short comings for any car in this class. Seems like every manufacturer does some things really well and others not so much. The Mazda tech does leave a lot to be desired for some. I don't mind it especially with the 10.25" updated infotainment system.

Yes the interior function and infotech still need improved. The 2018 deficiencies(map, armrest, console, etc) bother me to no end.

But the vehicle is still solid performance when it ages. When looking at 3(three) year old used vehicles, Test drove three(3) different used non-turbo CX5's against the Tucson, RAV4, CR-V, Rogue, Escape, Murano V6, Grand Cherokee V6 and Forerunner V6.

The pickup/power and handling of the 3 year old cx5 4 cylinders beat the other 4-pots and v6's above. My SUV still feels like it has more pickup than the wife's Murano V6 and is more enjoyable to drive. I didn't time them but the power or perceived power felt safer merging onto highways and driving around hilly, twisty curves and the cx5 hugged the road.

Before the test drive, was fixated on getting a Toyota RAV4, Forerunner, Ford Maverick( which couldn't test drive because they weren't any available) or a Jeep.

Regardless of what motortrend , consumer reports and other comparisons say on timed tests of new vehicles, it appears the other vehicles lost a step as they aged moreso than the CX5.
This is important because no one tests the used vehicles for longevity.

You only need to test drive them used vehicles to see for yourself. The only car I may have been happier with is the cx5 turbo but then you have to worry about the wear and tear on the engine. Tradeoff of acceleration versus engine problems & wear/tear.

Purchased a used CX5 because Maverick wasn't available yet and had planned to trade this in on a Maverick in the future.

In a few years, plan to either trade this in for a new CX5, CX50, Ford Maverick or Ford Ranger unless their is a really powerful electric or hybrid vehicle which outperforms this.

To be fair, others who have ridden in my car(while on the 19 inch rims) as passengers prefer their vehicles because they are roomier, more comfortable and not as bumpy. BUT they didn't drive it...
This SUV is for drivers, not passengers...
and once my 16 inch tires are on, this will be a very comfortable ride, except for roomier seating.

Last edited:
She was so pissed she traded in her year old Q5 with like 8k miles on it for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature. In her opinion the Mazda is just about as comfortable and actually drives better. So that’s an Audi owners opinion. I know others that never keep their Audi or BMWs past their warranties for a reason. $$$$
This. "Drives better"

My experience with every other used SUV test drive against the CX5. See my post #14 above/ before this.

sounds like someone didn't actually read the owners manual. You are supposed to read it cover to cover, every question you have is answered there. It is your own fault for not doing that.
I think my signature is great. Not perfect, but the best car for the money.

sounds like someone didn't actually read the owners manual. You are supposed to read it cover to cover, every question you have is answered there. It is your own fault for not doing that.
I think my signature is great. Not perfect, but the best car for the money.

Not to stray too far from the topic, but you're not expected to read the manual from cover to cover before you can drive the car. As someone who writes manuals for a living, manufacturers usually only expect you to be familiar with the manual so you can navigate it easier, so that you know where to look if you need some questions answered. The online manuals are much better for this since you can just use the search function. Manuals are primarily a reference.

In my experience, the on-board navigation of every car I've been in or driven is so, so much worse than using Google Maps on my phone. I rarely ever use the factory navigation.. it's much better to just use the offline maps feature on Google Maps.

Your point is a valid one SM. I am old enough to remember when Word Perfect came with 200 pages of documentation. Those days are over, thank goodness. Whole operating systems now come with two pages of documentation. Today owners manuals are reference material used to solve rare issues. Although I know little about car documentation, I am quite familiar with software documentation and the key word is "intuitive." Every time reference material has to be referenced is a failure in that regard. Failures here always fall on software design. Todays cars are computers. In fact, the dealer told me that my Mazda had more than ten computers in it. The features in the car are a product of those computers and the software on those computers.

I have had a 2014 CX-5 and a 2018 CX-9 and we currently have a 2017 Mazda 3, a 2021 CX-5 and a 2021 CX-9. While I would agree the fans are loud at the extremes, the auto climate works as indicated. In all of may cars, in the winter, the heat does not blow till the car is outside warmed (out of the blue). Maybe your vehicle has an issue? I would argue the dual climate control system on the CX-5 and Mazda 3 is silly as the area between the two "zones" is basically nothing.
This is exactly how they designed it. The Euro and Asian models are no different. Mazda wants the driver to drive.
Only our 2021 models have this and we have never had an issue. I would talk with your dealer as this might be vehicle specific.
What do you mean lock up?
The tail gate only opens when the doors are unlocked (from the indoor button). Seat adjustment can be made under any conditions, no? Maybe it can only become "memory" when the car is in park. Does the sunroof really open only when the parking brake is on? I am pretty sure that I have opened my sun roof at a traffic light. I would argue that compared to many other cars, the Mazda's setting are very limited and you actually don't have lots of options.

One bug that I have noticed with the CX-9 is that if auto headlights is on (with auto high beams), if the auto wipers come on and than the auto headlights come on the auto high beams won't work. Was true in my 2018 CX-9 and the 2021 CX-9. The 2021 CX-5 has the same issue.

I would agree that the Mazda navigation system is bad. I hated in 2014 and am not a fan now. But CarPlay fixes that. Honestly, I would never use "car" based based system again as almost all of them suck. I spend lots of time in Hyundai, Ford and Nissan vehicles and they all suck. Also, I have not used a car with wireless CarPlay that actually consistently worked.

Back