Loose brake pads 2010 Mazda5

:
cx5
I just installed my 2010 5 rear rotors and pads with Bosch brake sets. The outside pads seems to be not fit in the caliper very well(a little smaller) and make noise on the road. It's very strange there's nothing on the outside pads to help it stay in the caliper. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Did you use a piston compression tool on the rear calipers? Those have to compress to a certain depth and rotation. There is a dimple in the piston that should align with a protrusion on the pad.

After Installing the new pads did you ratchet the piston back into position? You have to pull the parking brake a bunch of times to undo the twist compressed piston….. like 10-20 times. If you don’t do that the pads don’t end up in the right place and can clatter around.

Ah, the outside pad. I presumed you wire brushed and lubricated the caliper bracket grooves where the pad sits and reinstall the wire spring clip?

I just installed my 2010 5 rear rotors and pads with Bosch brake sets. The outside pads seems to be not fit in the caliper very well(a little smaller) and make noise on the road. It's very strange there's nothing on the outside pads to help it stay in the caliper. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Had the same issue with Hawk rear outer pad (only one side). The slight bit of undersized fitment caused it to move ever so slightly and gradually wore away 1/16" of the brake pad mounting ear. Made more noise as time progressed resulting in loud/heavy metal to metal knocking/banging every time the wheel goes over any irregular surface. Sounds really bad but had no mechanical issue.

Two things to try. 1, clear out the caliper mounts with a wire brush to ensure good surface mating. if still off by a tad, add a dollop of brake anti-squeal compound to fill the gap - make sure it fully cures before applying brakes. If you are having problems with BOTH rear pads, then I'd lean towards the Bosch pad are defect/bad mold. (example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))

Last edited:
Back