Looking to purchase CX-5, few questions

webby092

:
2011 Fusion Sport/2013 Escape SEL
Hey everyone,

I'm going to buy a 2014 CX-5 in early summer, but have a few questions. I bought my wife a 2013 Escape SEL 2.0EB last summer, and it's been a headache. My buddy has a 15 CX-5 and we love it. We would like to buy a base GT. My main question is, is there a quick way to tell if it is a base GT vs a GT Tech pack? We don't need/want the nav, I would love to have the Bi-Xenons, but am terrified of the replacement cost haha. It seems most the GT's I see for sale are tech pack cars? My buddy has a 15 GT non-tech pack, but has the parking sensors, is that normal?

Thanks for the help!
Dave

I have a base GT. I've added a few things, like the remote start, auto-dimming mirror with compass and garage door opener, and many trim things. I don't find the headlights to be bad, on the contrary, I am happy with them, they are better than the Honda headlights. I remember seeing that there is a bigger box stuck to the inside of the windshield for the sensor for the automatic braking system. Does the Tech package include the automatic braking system? I traded my Fusion Sport on the Mazda CX-5 GT.

I just bought a 2104 CX-5 GT with out the Tech Pkg. I found the fastest way to tell if is the base model GT was to look at the rear view mirror. If you see the tab on the bottom, it the base GT. It's how I figured out the versions when I looked at the many GT's before I found mine.

Perfect, thanks for the replies! GP2004, Did you happen to have a 2004 Grand Prix as well? Because I sold my 2004 GPGT to buy my Fusion Sport hahaha. I will be keeping my Fusion, and getting rid of our Escape. Did you enjoy that car? I like mine, it does everything pretty well. My GP had, CAI, Tune, Exhaust, Full suspension (sway bars, LCA's, STB's, endlinks and poly bushings). I enjoy the Sport more haha.

Dave

Are you shopping for a used 15? If so the HID Bi-Xenons have little to no issues to be concerned about. They are made by Stanley and are very reliable. The issues came for "some" with the 2016's LED Bi-Xenon tech package having to do with the peeling inside the lenses- replaced under warranty.

Probably a 14 for budgetary reasons haha. That's good to know about the lights. What about the smart city brake support? Also the trans issue some people have? Our escape is problematic, and I want to make sure I don't repeat that haha.

Are you shopping for a used 15? If so the HID Bi-Xenons have little to no issues to be concerned about. They are made by Stanley and are very reliable. The issues came for "some" with the 2016's LED Bi-Xenon tech package having to do with the peeling inside the lenses- replaced under warranty.

Keep in mind that the Nav can be had separately for about $200, without a tech package, by buying the Nav SD card and putting it into the slot.
In fact, you can get navigation separately on the Touring trim (already included on Touring + Tech Package) as well as the Sports with Auto and Reverse Camera package.

Last edited:
Probably a 14 for budgetary reasons haha. That's good to know about the lights. What about the smart city brake support? Also the trans issue some people have? Our escape is problematic, and I want to make sure I don't repeat that haha.

Place a green light on the 2013-2015 models with HID. No issues there. As said earlier those HIDs are made by Stanley, clear lenses, sharp cutoff line, robust parts. The transmission issues are thought to be of low incidence rates and swiftly handled by Mazda in the form of a new transmissions installed with little push back from the dealerships. Just about every report here indicates problems arise early in the form of a high pitch sound suggesting if CX-5s with say 20k or more miles haven't experienced any issues by then it should be fine there on out. Considering its a 2014 model your covered under the drivetrain the 60k? or 5 years warranty anyways. No such issues in our 2 skyactiv models.

Cannot speak on the Smart city brake support but I do know you can turn it off in my Mazda6.

SCBS can be turned off but you have to do it each time. I haven't had any issues with it.

You also get auto-wipers with tech package.

Perfect, thanks for the replies! GP2004, Did you happen to have a 2004 Grand Prix as well? Because I sold my 2004 GPGT to buy my Fusion Sport hahaha. I will be keeping my Fusion, and getting rid of our Escape. Did you enjoy that car? I like mine, it does everything pretty well. My GP had, CAI, Tune, Exhaust, Full suspension (sway bars, LCA's, STB's, endlinks and poly bushings). I enjoy the Sport more haha.
Dave

I had a Pontiac Grand Am, not a Grand Prix. I looked at the Escape, but the CX-5 is so much better. I liked the Fusion, good reliable car, handles great, nice interior, but I wanted something different.

I just bought a 2104 CX-5 GT with out the Tech Pkg. I found the fastest way to tell if is the base model GT was to look at the rear view mirror. If you see the tab on the bottom, it the base GT. It's how I figured out the versions when I looked at the many GT's before I found mine.
I have a base GT, but I have the optional auto-dimming mirror.

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone! The advice is much appreciated! I feel much better about buying a GT with tech package. Now to save a bit, sell the escape and get the CX5! Thanks again for the help!
Dave

I'd be interested in knowing what you end up paying for your setup. I'm looking to do the same or get a new one if the price difference isn't huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CX5 should be a much more pleasant experience for you. I don't have the answers to your other ?'s, but I got my CX-5 because I was tired of my 2010 Grand Jeep CHerokee always breaking. SO far, the CX-5 has done what I got it for.

Back