Looking to buy a mazdaspeed 3...

N00bie

:
2003 Pontiac Sunfire
Hey everybody, I currently drive a heavily modded '03 pontiac sunfire with lots of engine and performance mods... I'm looking to get a mazdaspeed 3 as a very quick, daily driver, that I hopefully won't mod the hell out of (rofl2). My buddy just bought a whitre '08 and it screams, I decided I wanted one after riding in his. My GF drives a '03 Protege LX, which I'm trying to mod a bit for her...buying some rims and a intermittent wiper stalk.

Anyhow, I haven't done much research yet, looking for new or used, probably used... what years are good, what problems should I look for for used ones, and any other information would be cool.. (burnout)

Anyhow, I haven't done much research yet, looking for new or used, probably used... what years are good, what problems should I look for for used ones, and any other information would be cool.. (burnout)

try the search function....there are sleventythousand threads about differences of model years, problems and options, and price details

only new-ish info i can tell you is this is the last model year for the 1st generation mazda3 and mazdaspeed3 series, so any 1st gens remaining on the lots now are subject to better price negotiations. my gt brand new was 23k after haggling, but now (to include the market problems) ppl are getting a brand new gt for like 21k

Have you walked onto any Mazda lot yet? Do you know what sort of stock remains? Production ended for the 2009 MS3's on Dec 31, 2008 so there are no 'new' ones on boats now.... whatever is left on the lots is it. If colour is important, you need to find out which dealers have the colour you want.

Stop by Signature (they are the largest mazda dealer around here) and also check out Morrey and Wolfe.

Hey everybody, I currently drive a heavily modded '03 pontiac sunfire with lots of engine and performance mods... I'm looking to get a mazdaspeed 3 as a very quick, daily driver, that I hopefully won't mod the hell out of (rofl2). My buddy just bought a whitre '08 and it screams, I decided I wanted one after riding in his. My GF drives a '03 Protege LX, which I'm trying to mod a bit for her...buying some rims and a intermittent wiper stalk.

(boom03)

Don't be hatin' (lol2) The ecotec engine is a good platform to make some big power, this car is almost undrivable on the street right now it's got so much power. But I'll talk about that in another thread some time.

You might want to check out/test drive the 09 Subaru WRX and VW GTI as other options, just for reference points.

Oh I have, I think the mazdaspeed beats out the STi in speed marginally and possibly in handling as the Rex seems very stiff.... I guess this post is kinda silly considering I haven't been to a dealer yet, just test drove my buddies. I will be using the search function folks...the '09's have a different look, I'm undecided on if I like it more, but I'm more concerned about any changes in suspension and power.

Oh I have, I think the mazdaspeed beats out the STi in speed marginally and possibly in handling as the Rex seems very stiff.... I guess this post is kinda silly considering I haven't been to a dealer yet, just test drove my buddies. I will be using the search function folks...the '09's have a different look, I'm undecided on if I like it more, but I'm more concerned about any changes in suspension and power.

do you mean the 09 mazdaspeed3? if so the look is still the same as it was when it started in 2007 (minus some exterior color changes and interior trim changes). if you put an 07 true red next to an 09 true red from the outside you would never be able to tell the difference (granted the 07 might have a little more paint wear but whatever)

now the 2010 is a different story. arguably "all new" except for the engine.

Sorry I meant 2010, the new generation.

Have there been any performance reviews of the '10 MS3? I haven't seen any and I would wait until one of those came out to make up your mind if the looks haven't scared you away already.

As another poster mentioned, give the '09 WRX another look. It is a completely different beast than the handicapped '08 WRX.

the 09 wrx is sooo much better than it's predicessors, and actually as good as the sti at a much lower cost

pretty sure it's like 268hp or soemthing, but it's a 5speed instead of the sti's 6speed. you can actually hit 60mph in 2nd in the wrx instead of 3rd like in the sti. and im pretty sure that a couple of auto mags have gotten better 0-60 times out of the wrx than the sti

Have there been any performance reviews of the '10 MS3? I haven't seen any and I would wait until one of those came out to make up your mind if the looks haven't scared you away already.

I read an article about it but it wasn't confirmed yet. The article said that the 2010 model the engine will be increased to a 2.5 and the expected hp is around 300. Havn't read anything offical but these are the rumors I have heard.

I read an article about it but it wasn't confirmed yet. The article said that the 2010 model the engine will be increased to a 2.5 and the expected hp is around 300. Havn't read anything offical but these are the rumors I have heard.

wrong...engine is the same, power is the same. only difference for the engine itself is the direct flow into the intercooler by way of that gigantic subaruesque scoop

the 09 wrx is sooo much better than it's predicessors, and actually as good as the sti at a much lower cost

pretty sure it's like 268hp or soemthing, but it's a 5speed instead of the sti's 6speed. you can actually hit 60mph in 2nd in the wrx instead of 3rd like in the sti. and im pretty sure that a couple of auto mags have gotten better 0-60 times out of the wrx than the sti

They're good, but not THAT good. The 4.7 seconds was unique to a test by C/D and it is the quickest 0-60 time I've seen people post with a stock 09 WRX by a considerable amount. Additionally, having driven an 09 WRX back to back with a friends 05 STI, the STI pulls MUCH harder than a WRX from a roll.

For the 2010 Speed3, the gear ratios are also different which should make 0-60 pulls achievable by the end of 2nd gear. The car is ~80 lbs. more IIRC. Pricing seems pretty fair ($23,195 SRP) although there isn't a GT or Sports trim (so no HIDs or LEDs) - just a Tech package that's just under $2K.

Last edited:
They're good, but not THAT good. The 4.7 seconds was unique to a test by C/D and it is the quickest 0-60 time I've seen people post with a stock 09 WRX by a considerable amount. Additionally, having driven an 09 WRX back to back with a friends 05 STI, the STI pulls MUCH harder than a WRX from a roll.

well that's where the sti's 40 more hp and 46 more lbft of torque come into play.

wrx or sti? can you make 40hp and 46lbft of torque with $10k? i'd rather have the wrx

Don't be hatin' (lol2) The ecotec engine is a good platform to make some big power, this car is almost undrivable on the street right now it's got so much power. But I'll talk about that in another thread some time.

I used to have a nitrous powered fully modded Cavalier, so I know all about this too. Certainly not as fast as the ms3, but still decent for what it was.

as for the GTI being a comperable car to the ms3, there is nothing close in comparison for power between the 2 cars, the ms3 is much faster and more powerful. Only thing that keeps the GTI in the "talks" of people is the interior quality being somewhat on par with the ms3. Power wise the ms3 wins hands down.

Back