2017~2024 Looking for someone with a 2017+ non North American Mazda w/ Lane-Keep Assist

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to modify my car and add an option that all other regions have, except for North America. More info here if interested: https://www.mazda3revolution.com/th...fferent-functions-asbuilt.169393/post-2466239

Anyways I would really appreciate it if anyone will help me by performing a very simple "experiment" on their car and letting me know the results. All I need is someone with a 2017+ Mazda (non North American model) that has lane-keep assist.

Ok here is what I need:
1. Turn on vehicle.
2. Go in vehicle settings > safety > Lane-Keep Assist System.
3. Turn on the intervention option if it is off.
4. There should an option called "Intervention Timing" where you can select "Early" or "Late" (this is missing in North American cars). Write down or remember the option that is currently selected.
5. Now turn off the intervention option.
6. The "Intervention Timing" option should change to "Alert Timing". In America you can choose only "At" or "Before" for this option, but it might be different for you. Whatever it is, just change the "Alert Timing" option to anything else than the currently selected option.
8. Now turn the intervention option back on again.
9. Look at the option that is selected for "Intervention Timing", has this option changed from the one you wrote down/remembered in step 4. Let me know!!
If the option did not change and you guys have more than 2 options available for the "Alert Timing" setting in step 6, it would also be great if you repeat steps 5-9 but choose a different option for the "Alert Timing" setting.

Thank you very much for anyone who helps me out!!

I have a new 2020 Signature purchased in Cali, Colombia. It came with Lane Assist Control. Of all the wonderful safety features on the car I find it the least useful in my driving conditions (no long straight interstates) and have turned it off.

I know some other people who say it's annoying, but I'd like to try it and see how it is myself.
Make sure your lane-keep assist is set to early. Mazda lane keep assist has two modes. When it is set to early it constantly adjusts the steering to keep you in the center, even on curves. When it is set to late, it only corrects steering once you are already out of your lane. My car already has LKAS but for North America you can't change the mode to early.
Please if you have time do my little experiment, should only take 2 minutes! :)

Last edited:
Interesting - so you're trying to see if you can enable the "Early" mode to get a lane-keep assist system that works similarly to Nissan ProPilot or Honda Sensing, correct?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do!
Here's a video from MazdaEurope explaining the feature:

I see you're in Canada so you also probably don't have the early setting.
For others, if you skip to 0:52 in the video, notice that when the Intervention option is switched off, the "Intervention Timing" setting changes to "Alert Timing". With my experiment, I'm trying to see whether these two settings are correlated at all. All I need from you guys is to play with the "Intervention Timing" or "Alert Timing" setting, then change the Intervention to on/off and see if it changed the other timing setting.

Hi, @enlil, did you figure out how to enable "Intervention Timing"?

I have a 2017 CX-7 with LKAS, but want to enable this too.

Did you think about installing EU firmware of changing the region?

Hi, @enlil, did you figure out how to enable "Intervention Timing"?

I have a 2017 CX-7 with LKAS, but want to enable this too.

Did you think about installing EU firmware of changing the region?

Hi egorio, no I haven't been able to enable it yet. I don't think installing the EU firmware would work. With my research, it seems that the car checks the region before setting LKAS in EARLY mode regardless of what the "Intervention Timing" setting is set to. I think that the Intervention Timing setting is actually the same as the "Alert Timing" setting. The car just changes the name of it when you turn on Intervention. Of course, there is no way to know for sure unless someone with a EU Mazda helps us out. I've tried to get people to help, but it's hard to convince strangers to share their car's data when they get nothing in return, so I've given up for now.

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to modify my car and add an option that all other regions have, except for North America. More info here if interested: https://www.mazda3revolution.com/th...fferent-functions-asbuilt.169393/post-2466239

Anyways I would really appreciate it if anyone will help me by performing a very simple "experiment" on their car and letting me know the results. All I need is someone with a 2017+ Mazda (non North American model) that has lane-keep assist.

Ok here is what I need:
1. Turn on vehicle.
2. Go in vehicle settings > safety > Lane-Keep Assist System.
3. Turn on the intervention option if it is off.
4. There should an option called "Intervention Timing" where you can select "Early" or "Late" (this is missing in North American cars). Write down or remember the option that is currently selected.
5. Now turn off the intervention option.
6. The "Intervention Timing" option should change to "Alert Timing". In America you can choose only "At" or "Before" for this option, but it might be different for you. Whatever it is, just change the "Alert Timing" option to anything else than the currently selected option.
8. Now turn the intervention option back on again.
9. Look at the option that is selected for "Intervention Timing", has this option changed from the one you wrote down/remembered in step 4. Let me know!!
If the option did not change and you guys have more than 2 options available for the "Alert Timing" setting in step 6, it would also be great if you repeat steps 5-9 but choose a different option for the "Alert Timing" setting.

Thank you very much for anyone who helps me out!!

Have you tried posting this on reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/

OP, did you get any help from non NA car person yet? This looks quite interesting to me.

We should keep this thread alive. I would love to have this option. I have it on my CRV and its effective on long drives. Can get annoying though.

We should keep this thread alive. I would love to have this option. I have it on my CRV and its effective on long drives. Can get annoying though.
what do you mean by "can get annoying"
I wish this feature was available to NA but interesting it is offered in non-NA market🤔

Had this on my 15 Acura TLX. It worked very well and made long drives less tiring. Wish it worked as well on the Mazda.

Hi everyone! I am glad there is interest in this feature. The last couple of days I have been looking at Asbuilt data for different VIN numbers of cars around the world.

I have noticed that there is a bit in the FSC module (706-01-02 B1:b2) that is set to 1 for cars in NA with LKAS, but is consistently set to 0 for all other cars of different regions I have tested so far.

If this bit is actually controlling whether to disable or enable this feature, then all we would have to do to enable it is to change the bit to 0 with Forscan.

I haven't gotten the chance to try this out on my own car yet, so it's not confirmed yet.

Hi @egorio,

Sadly, it did not work. I also tried changing other bits that I thought may be related to the feature.
None worked and didn't appear to change anything.

But I am now pretty confident that:
  • 706-02-02 B0:b7-b6 = 10 for Late setting, = 01 for Early setting
(source: https://www.mazda3revolution.com/th...fferent-functions-asbuilt.169393/post-2481678)
(Also, when you reset lane-keep assist settings to default using the mazda screen, these bits automatically change back to 10, so pretty sure they are related to LKAS).

The problem is that even when I changed it to 01, nothing changed. I am thinking the region is checked before the feature is activated. If I was to continue trying to hack the feature, my next step would be to change the region bits to Europe while having the other bits set to the Early setting.
  • 720-01-01 B0:b3-b1 = 010 (NORTH AMERICA), = 001 (EUROPE)
But changing that setting is likely going to change lots of other things on the car, and I don't want to mess up anything.

So as of now I have given up. I still have the bits above set to 01, hoping one day the feature will suddenly turn on by itself lol.

Has there been any further developments in this?
I recently purchased a 2020 CX-5, and while I love everything else about this car so far.... the stock lane keeping assist/alert system is a big disappointment. It's the one thing that's worse than worthless, all it is.... is annoying. Doesn't do jack squat to help keep you in a lane, just obnoxiously alerts you that you've already drifted out of the lane and your tires are already going over the rumble stripes carved into shoulder pavement (the "drive by braille" feature on almost all interstate highways). If the Europe and Australian vehicles have "Lane Trace" as a feature, and it's been excluded in the US/Canada vehicles, I'd pretty much wager that the hardware to provide this functionality exists in all the cars, and it's just been intentionally crippled out of the software in vehicles sold in North America..... a decision made by lawyers, not engineers, because of perceived liability/lawsuit fears. That would be my prime suspicion anyway.

I've used the lane centering feature on a few Hyundai rental cars (every Elantra "Value Edition", typical in the rental fleets) I've driven, and it's quite nice indeed and works very well out on the roads and highways we have in north Texas / Oklahoma where I do the vast majority of my driving.

If Hyundai can put this feature into a basic $16K econobox sedan sold in the USA and their corporate lawyers aren't getting their undies into a wedgie about it, then why can't Mazda allow the feature to be enabled in the software of their vehicles sold here too? SMH 🙄

Has there been any further developments in this?
I recently purchased a 2020 CX-5, and while I love everything else about this car so far.... the stock lane keeping assist/alert system is a big disappointment. It's the one thing that's worse than worthless, all it is.... is annoying. Doesn't do jack squat to help keep you in a lane, just obnoxiously alerts you that you've already drifted out of the lane and your tires are already going over the rumble stripes carved into shoulder pavement (the "drive by braille" feature on almost all interstate highways). If the Europe and Australian vehicles have "Lane Trace" as a feature, and it's been excluded in the US/Canada vehicles, I'd pretty much wager that the hardware to provide this functionality exists in all the cars, and it's just been intentionally crippled out of the software in vehicles sold in North America..... a decision made by lawyers, not engineers, because of perceived liability/lawsuit fears. That would be my prime suspicion anyway.

I've used the lane centering feature on a few Hyundai rental cars (every Elantra "Value Edition", typical in the rental fleets) I've driven, and it's quite nice indeed and works very well out on the roads and highways we have in north Texas / Oklahoma where I do the vast majority of my driving.

If Hyundai can put this feature into a basic $16K econobox sedan sold in the USA and their corporate lawyers aren't getting their undies into a wedgie about it, then why can't Mazda allow the feature to be enabled in the software of their vehicles sold here too? SMH 🙄

I don't know if you read the recent posts, but a few users have already established that the feature has been coded out for some reason. Other manufacturers have been doing this for years, and people have been finding ways to code the features back into their vehicles using tools like Forscan. In the case of the CX-5, it hasn't been figured out yet.

As far as why Mazda USA/Canada isn't incorporating this feature, that's something only they can answer.

It requires more investment, but the CX-9 has all the hardware required for openpilot to do this fonction. I assume that might work on the cx-5 as well. See this post.

It requires more investment, but the CX-9 has all the hardware required for openpilot to do this fonction. I assume that might work on the cx-5 as well. See this post.
Yes I saw that last night, but there doesn't seem to be any further info available about getting the Comma working on Mazdas. The official Comma documentation doesn't include Mazda as a supported platform. I'm a retired comp sci, systems engineer so I have a clue, and actually contributed some networking code to the Linux kernel and serial port PPP drivers back in the ancient days of the monolithic pre 2.0 kernel. My developer-fu is a little on the rusty side though, lol! But maybe I should try contacting the person who got this working in their CX-9 to see f they ever shared their notes on the project. I'd highly suspect that my CX-5 and any other late model Mazda has all the drive by wire servo hardware necessary to accomplish this... my worst fear is that they might have deliberately coded stuff into the newest vehicles' firmwares to intentionally cripple out hardware access for any attempts to DIY anything like this..... or worse yet, to brick the car if you try. I know there's a certain other automaker who's resorted to going to such lengths to lock down their vehicles systems and hardware access with an iron fist.

I don't know about locking down the vehicle, but my impressions seems to be that the Mazdas are not included in the Comma list of supported vehicles because they don't have the connectors or wiring diagram made for them. The other member said he had to develop is own wiring harness, but I wasn't under the impression that he had to go in and make coding modifications. This is all speculation on my part though. I don't think @Masterleon ever ended up making a "how to guide" but he would be the best to answer.

Back