Looking for a Miata come summertime

canadian357

:
2003 Protege5, 1987 Honda Accord Type-R(rice)
Yup, another protege owner defecting. Well, maybe not, I'd like to keep the P5 to haul/drive in winter/etc, but we'll see. Anyways:

I want to pick up a Miata, hopefully by the middle of May. I need to know a couple things:

-NA or NB? I kinda like the look of the NB more, and I would almost certainly retrofit (and I'm not a huge fan of pop-up lights, especially when they're retro'd), but a later model NA with the 1.8 would be decent. Thoughts/opinions? Things I should look for in each one while I shop around?
-I know what an NA will run me roughly, but costs for some of the NBs are kind of all over the map. What can I expect to pay for a 99-02 MX-5, and....
-I'm Canadian. Cars are still expensive as s*** up here. If I were to come down to the states, where would you guys suggest getting one for cost effectiveness? I'm seeing a few ~80,000 mile NBs in Arizona for around $4500-$5000.
-Anything else I should know going into this?

Last edited:
Oh, and feel free to let me know if you see any good deals in/around your area during your day to day :D

Welcome to the forum. I hope you realize that once you get your very own Miata you'll be in a different world! My suggestion would be to keep a close on your local Miata Owners clubs. They have members who may want to upgrade to a newer year and will have some great deals when selling their existing rides. I personally bought my 97 on Ebay of all places. Yes it had high miles but was a three owner car that had been carefully driven and pretty well maintained. After two + years I have not had any major problems. First and foremonst try to find out as much info on the year you are looking at to purchase. These great little cars did improve over the years and continue to do so. The pup up lights are something you either like or dislike! They do make the car unique and they only times they are "unsightly" is at night when know one really sees them anyway! Good luck on your hunting.

Thanks. I've been doing a little research and I'm starting to get an idea of what I want. I'm also getting to like the first gens a little bit more. I finished reading DJ DUBs build thread and that definitely helped their image.

I've owned 3 NAs and a NC. I've found them all to be super cars. It really doesn't matter which generation you buy, it'll be fun to drive.

Recently, I bought another NA to drive in the winter months while our other cars sit out the winter roads. It has 118K miles, recent paint and top, good tires and interior, and up to snuff on the maintenance for $4K less than a NB I was looking at. For my purpose, the NA was a natural. I'm having a blast with it!

The Miata, no matter which generation, has a pretty good reliability record. It also has a pretty good following. Most of the time, I hang out at Miata.net because that's a very active site for Miata enthusiasts. It's a more mature group than many forums, though. You might find some more information, and maybe a car, there.

Good luck with your search!

I'm selling the turboyata...
37581_134317159937363_100000772393179_148734_1367255_n.jpg

They say that the NB is a better car, but the NA is a better Miata. I have one of each set up very differently and it's fun bouncing between the two.

What to look for? RUST in the rockers ahead of the rear wheels. Other than that check to make sure maintenance is up to date, check around the back of the engine for oil leaks. If the seller has done any fiddling with it make sure the parts used are quality stuff and the installation hack-job-free.

Strange. Never seen your car around, not that there's any pressing reason for most Andrews people to come south. We do have some fun two-laners off the beaten path, though.

I live on Andrews...and no need to head into the Dorf...plus traffic...yuck lol.
Want another Miata? :p

Need some wheels?

Attachments

• IMG00329-20110329-1924.jpg
    IMG00329-20110329-1924.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 148
I think I'm up to 10 sets of wheels now: steelies, daisies, 94-97 7-spokes, 99 Sport stockers, MSM stockers, Kosei K1TS, RPF1, and three sets of Kosei K1

LOL...you know you can never have enough.
Know anyone looking for a nice Miata that needs some TLC?
$3500 is a steal.

~$3500 is tempting. Spring maintenance is going to rape my wallet sans lube though. Maybe in a little while I'll hit you up.

Anytime.
I drove her today, top down in the warmth.

I got mad thumbs ups...

Back