LED Foglight idea

OP, so you blocked off your fogs and put the LEDs there, which looks nice, but do they project like the stock fogs? I ask because their is clearly no reflector behind them.

The stock fogs don't project very much themselves, I do know if you take out the ring inside the *** lamp it increases its projected light. The Leds do put out a bit of light, the actually light you will see on the road is just slightly less than the stock fogs only it will be a blueish white. If you have a GT with Xenons it will nicely accent them.... But when looking at them head on they look brighter than the stock fogs...

My setup shouldn't be unless there is a law against actually altering your lights in anyway. In my state it is legal as long as I don't turn on the fogs. Because you can only have 2 sets of forward facing lights on at the same time. Hence that is why your fogs turn off when you turn on your high beams. But thats getting into technicalities there. I haven't had any trouble with them in my state and the cops are quite anal here at times.... I don't think you should have any trouble with the law unless they have something against white LEDs in which case Audi is in trouble jk. Being that it is actually on the fog light housing I don't think you should have any trouble.

I dunno some vehicles with driving lights as well as their headlights are very blinding to oncoming traffic, especially larger vehicles. Heck even if they are behind you they are blinding since so much light is being reflected into the interior of the car by the mirrors. Heck I remember seeing an SUV with 3 sets of lights on the front, I was like you gotta be kidding me!!!

I can't see having the fog lights on with the LEDs being a problem because the Audi lights stay on the whole time do they not? Mind you they probably aren't as bright as these LEDs.

Firstly, thank you blh_wakeboard for a great write-up! I did this install yesterday and am VERY VERY happy with the results!

The first concern I had was cutting the plastic around the foglights to stick the led strips through (to bring the wires into the car), and as blh_wakeboard assured me, it cuts very easily. I just used an xacto knife, taking a little bit off at a time to make sure not to make the holes too big.

I also blacked out my stock foglights with black outdoor vinyl as blh_wakeboard did. It was really easy to do this if you apply the vinyl wet, so you can slide it into place, a lot like how you would tint a window. I thought this was going to be difficult, but it only took about 5 minutes!

The only part of the how to that had me absolutely clueless was how you get to the parking light bulbs. I tried unbolting the fusebox, and spent 30 mins trying to get my hands in there with no success. I didn't want to remove my bumper, but came up with an easy way to get to them! If you take out the two screws/clips in each front wheel well, you can peel back the plastic. Once you peel it back, you can easily reach your hand up behind the bumper and reach the harnesses (on both sides of the car) to unclip them. Once you unclip them, you can pull them up from the engine bay to tap into them.

I didn't get to take very good pictures of the install yet, but here are 2. They look waaaay better in person. I'm usually the first to call a mod rice and try to keep everything clean, and I can assure you, these look very nice in person!

ledfogs1.jpg

ledfogs2.jpg

Last edited:
Back