Leaking struts at 10k km!?!?!?

ScorpioGTX1

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
Took my car into the dealership today for an oil change, and found out that both my rear struts are leaking and require replacement. I could hardly believe it, since the car is barely more than a year old, and doesn't even have 10,000 km on it yet. The service guy said that this is a common problem with the 2s.

Anybody else experience this? Is there any possibility that my Corksport rear bar may have accelerated this process?

They said it's covered under warranty, but I think I'll take out the bar before I go in to avoid any possible disputes.

Stock struts and shocks are not very good quality on Mazdas, the 2 being the cheapest model has the cheapest parts. If the dealership already saw your torsion bar I don't see a need to remove it now. See if the new ones leak before your warranty is up and get some better quality ones after it expires.

That would be pretty weird for the torsion bar to cause the shock wear. How are the road in your area?

-Derrick

yea I really don't see how the torsion bar would do that. Shocks really are one of those things that just go when ever they want. My friends speed3 had a blown shock on it after 15k miles. Shocks are meant to be replaced after so many miles, given a lot longer than 10k, but they are not an invincible thing so having them break is common. Lucky they are pretty inexpensive when it comes down to things that break.

The speeds have better struts and shocks than the regular models, but not much. Nothing like the Tokikos on the MSP or Bilsteins that were available on the RX8s and Miatas.

That would be pretty weird for the torsion bar to cause the shock wear. How are the road in your area?

-Derrick

s****. It's alright in the summer, but during the winter months the roads can be brutal since the city rarely ever plows the streets. But the last car I drove (Corolla) went 60k km before the struts needed replacement, and my brother's 3 has never had any issues either. I'm inclined to believe the service guy that the stock struts are crap on the 2.

Did you notice any abnormal sounds from the rear suspension prior to taking it in for a service? I live in Colorado, and noticed squeaking/rattling sounds from what I assume are the struts after it got really cold a few weeks ago (and after driving on ice), so I wonder if I'm experiencing the same issues. My car has around 14,500 miles on it now and I'm taking it in next week to have it looked at.

*Update: If the following post is something to go by, apparently the cold has something to do with it: Here*

Last edited:
Did you notice any abnormal sounds from the rear suspension prior to taking it in for a service? I live in Colorado, and noticed squeaking/rattling sounds from what I assume are the struts after it got really cold a few weeks ago (and after driving on ice), so I wonder if I'm experiencing the same issues. My car has around 14,500 miles on it now and I'm taking it in next week to have it looked at.

*Update: If the following post is something to go by, apparently the cold has something to do with it: Here*

Both my front and rear shocks squeak when it's really cold out, but they go silent again when it warms up. I've never thought much of it before.

Same here. The front shocks aren't nearly as bad on my car, but I occasionally get a sort of scratchy squeaking noise when they compress going over bumps when it's cold outside. It's about 50 degrees F out today, and my rear shocks were hardly squeaking at all. Hopefully getting it serviced next week will shed some light on, and hopefully rectify, the problem.

That would be weird for the cold to kill off the shocks. Stranger things have happened though.

-Derrick

A few of my friends with their Speed3's (a 2012 & 2013) and a 2012 Skyactive 3 have noticed their power steering makes a squealing noise in the cold...

A few of my friends with their Speed3's (a 2012 & 2013) and a 2012 Skyactive 3 have noticed their power steering makes a squealing noise in the cold...

Fortunately we don't have that problem since the '2 has electric power steering. I was used to the low temperatures setting off my TPMS sensors a lot because the tires were cold, but nothing in the suspension went awry until this winter. I think it's more the dirty snow/ice and other contaminants that cause accelerated wear and tear than the actual cold itself, though it may exacerbate the problem. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Same here. The front shocks aren't nearly as bad on my car, but I occasionally get a sort of scratchy squeaking noise when they compress going over bumps when it's cold outside. It's about 50 degrees F out today, and my rear shocks were hardly squeaking at all. Hopefully getting it serviced next week will shed some light on, and hopefully rectify, the problem.

Mine only really squeak when it's about -4F or colder. Otherwise they don't make a sound at all. Everything is pretty bad at that temperature though, including the clutch, brake, steering, etc. Everything hardens up.

Well, I took my car to have it looked at today, and it ended up being a problem with the bump stop creating a creaking noise when I went over bumps. Makes sense, because I know they're not that great, and there is actually a technical service bulletin on that exact issue (the bulletin no. was 02-007/10 if anyone has access to that information...I couldn't look at the actual bulletin without a subscription to some website). I can't recall exactly what they did, but the noise is gone now.

Latest posts

Back