Latest recommended options for Aux input?

is that where it is on the 08+?

I pictured it being near the cup holder/glove box that one time I drove an 09, but I might have been mistaken.

No, I don't have an ipod slot. I've actually never seen what that looks like... honestly, one of the things I don't like about the interior design of this vehicle is that there is no truly convenient place to put your phone or music player, etc. Another reason I'd like to do something the the tape deck cavity, honestly, but that's a project I'll probably never really get to.

EDIT: I'm patiently waiting for davebert's reply... ;) I searched the forum for more information on this mod since you said it came from a mazda6 radio mod, but I can't find anything!
EDIT #2: FOUND IT! http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123778670-How-To-Make-an-AUX-input-for-FREE

Last edited:
The slot his thumb is in holds an iphone perfectly. Below that is the AUX input (left) and POWER outlet (right).

attachment.php

wow... yeah, I don't have that at all. There is a distinct lack of anything on the interior trim there. Would love a storage cubby/etc to put things. I also see something on the floor between it and the center console that houses the cup holders, it looks like.

On the original 5, the panel with the power outlet goes into the floor, and there is a gap between that and the cup holder console. Seems silly, and a waste of space IMO... something surprising for a car so designed for efficiency!

Yeah, see... the power outlet under the shifter is closer to the front on mine (IIRC, the wife has the car right now so I can't check), leaving a gap in between it and the cupholders, where there is bare floor. Technically, something could roll from the passenger seat floor into the driver's if making a sharp right turn.

Looks like on newer models they added that little storage cubby by extending the area under the shifter closer to the cupholders, and connecting them together so there is no bare-floor gap between the consoles. I like that better, honestly, but I digress... Got a great deal on my '07 and I'm sticking with it, as long as I can get this aux port working!

Hi dishe, there is a big cavity behind the black plastic cover in the middle of the center console. If you are handy you can make a box to have extra storage, it make a ideal place for the Ipod. Or you can get a universal bracket that mounts on the vent to hold your Ipod.

Here is a picture of the radio with the front plastic cover removed.

2qa7k01.jpg

Here is the cavity:

24cw0wi.jpg

If you decide to keep the plastic cover in place you can drill a hole in it to mount the 3.5mm stereo socket and use the universal ipod mount.

Here is a picture of the back of the plastic cover:

2dr9xtc.jpg

This is the ipod mount that I bought from Ebay, it is in the mail and will be another week before I receive it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Car-Windshield-V..._trkparmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63

The 3.5mm stereo plug and the cable used for this mod can be purchase from Radio Shack. I used a ribbon cable with a 16 pin connector, but other people used an audio cable that are used inside desktop PCs for CD/DVD players. They just use a small screw driver to get the pins out of the socket on the original cable. It is a good way to do it and does not require any special tools, just some electrical tape to keep everything together. The 100ohm resistor is optional.

I hope this is of some help to you should you decide to do this mod. Good luck with it.

It is there to limit the current in case something goes wrong so there is no short to ground. I do not have the schematic for the HU and are not sure if the pin outs are 100% correct. This just make it safer for testing purpose.

Thanks so much, I'm going to try this over the weekend. I found an audio cable in an old pc at work, and it seems the resistor isn't necessary now that you've shown it works, right?

I got a Jabra Cruiser for $50 on sale and it works great! I bluetooth my phone to it and it streams music, movies, calls, navigation instruction and anything else you can think of and transmits it over FM to the stereo. FM Transmitter is excellent and it will scan for the best open station or you can tune it to a specific station. Might not be the best aux mod for everyone but with my Android phone, it makes life pretty simple and fully integrates my phone into my car. Best part is, I can move it between cars and use it in anything.

dishe,
I have no buzzing/hissing noise when listening on my ipod or iphone or my nokia 5800. I mounted mine near the shifter just for personal preferences, I was thinking of the cassette area but there were giant ribs in the back so it would have made it difficult for me. Anyways attach is were I located it and hope you decide to go with this mod its fast and simple.

Attachments

• 09252010026.jpg
    09252010026.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 841
  • 09252010025.jpg
    09252010025.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 747
I got around to trying this today and after searching around for a harness that fits I installed it and it works! :) I put the aux jack in the blank plate in the little tray behind the e-brake. Worked good in my quick test tonight, will get a good test tomorrow :)

I recently did this mod to my '06. I didn't use the resistor at first, but found that every time I turned on the headlights the stereo would do dim & stop for a split second. I don't know if or how that would be related, but went back in and added the resistor anyway. Works great now. I've added the jack in the blank plate, where the cassette tape accessory would go. Used a dremmel to scrape out the ridges in the back of the plate and tried to get it centered (it's a little off). My wife said a few days later, "Has that always been there?" My only wish is that I'd found a jack that was some color other than silver, but I'm very happy with it. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

IMG_20110821_212511.jpg

I got a Jabra Cruiser for $50 on sale and it works great!
Clay282 - While my answer is not directly related to the topic, I wanted to thank you for your comment. I've been looking for a Bluetooth speakerphone system and was about to get a Blue Ant when I saw your comment. I checked it out and I have a Cruiser on the way as I type this.

Back