Larger disk brakes?

In what way is the Yaris better than the 2? I never even bothered test-driving one because it didn't look good on paper. Was I missing something?

The stock the Yaris pulls better dyno #'s. Its better on fuel in real world use. The aftermarket support is better on the yaris, there are guys out there with 120-130 HP Na motors with bolt ons.

Full exhausts, intake manifold swaps, throttle body swaps, Its been around longer..

Dont get me wrong, I love my M2. and one day I aspire to have 120-130 HP NA and be under 2000 LBS with me in it, its just not as easy in the M2

Last edited:
Okay, sounds good. Most of the reviews I read on the Yaris were less than enthusiastic. You make me want to go test drive a Yaris to see.

TBH, the Yaris isn't a bad little car. I just felt there wasn't much of a connection between the driver & car. Steering was numb, but it does have a bit more power than the 2, and handles comprably albeit quite a bit softer. It has awesome cupholders too.

Rear drum brakes are lighter and they present less mass to accelerate and slow down. The folks that retrofitted the late 80s Civic Sis with disks found out the expensive way that their cars got slower. The fastest CSP folks use smaller disks and turn them down and drill them till there is very little material left. Less rotating mass equals faster car. Mazda Engineers are not that stupid but quite often the sales and marketing folks win these battles.

This is very true. The look though makes as a nice excuse to swap to rear disks since they were plentiful and still are. The unsprung weight difference is what actually mattered as many guys I know who auto-x their civie's have stuck to the drums for this very reason. It's only on road racing tracks where endurance events actually dictated the swapping of drums to disk since heat dissipation became a major issue

Back