Laptop feedback

Nutari

Contributor
:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
My friend is trying to talk me into buying this laptop from him. He works at officemax and signed me up for their maxcredit card.

http://www.everex.com/products/xt5000t/xt5000t.htm

Thats the laptop. Also going to upgrade to 2gb of ram.

Any thoughts?

SPECIFICATIONS
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Display: 17" WXGA+ Widescreen (1400 x 900) with Diamond Brite Technology, TFT Active Matrix LCD
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (512KB L2 Cache, 1.6GHz)
Chipset: NVIDIA C51D (Northbridge), NVIDIA MCP51 (Southbridge)
Memory: 1GB DDRII 533 SDRAM, 2SO-DIMM Slot with 4GB maximum memory
Hard Disk Drive: 100GB SATA-150, 5400RPM, 9.5mm with secondary HDD slot
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM/DVD+/-RW Double Layer Support (Maximum speed and compatiblity 4X DVD+R DL, 4X DVD-R DL, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD-ROM, 16X CD-RW, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-ROM)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 256MB DDR2 Dedicated Video Memory and Windows Vista Aero Glass support
Audio: Realtek ALC885 High-Definition Audio Codec with S/PDIF and 7.1 channel audio support (Analog: 24-Bits Max Resolution, 192kHz Max Samping; Digital: 24-Bits Max Resolution, 192kHz Max Samping), Built-in Array Microphone and Built-in Stereo Speakers (2.2W) with Subwoofer (3W)
I/O Ports: (1) DVI-I output port, (1) S-Video output port, (3) USB 2.0 ports, (1) Microphone port, (1) Headphone port, (1) IEEE1394, (1) RJ-45 LAN port, (1) RJ-11 Modem port
Modem: (1) Soft Data/Fax Modem with SmartCP (V.92, 56kbps)
LAN: (1) NVIDIA nFORCE, 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet
Wireless LAN: Built-in Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter 802.11b/g
Keyboard: 104-Key US Keyboard with Hot Keys Functions Dedicated Numeric Keypad
Pointing Device: 2 Button Glide Pad with Integrated Vertical and Horizontal Scroll Functions
Power Supply: 65 Watt (20V@4.5A) Auto sensing external AC-DC Adapter (100-240V~1.5A; 50-60Hz), 2-Prong US Power Cord
Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion (11.1V, 4400mAh)
Measurements: 15.7 x 11.8 x 1.3 - 1.6 (L x W x H)
Weight: 8.45 lbs

853031001436_everex_stepnote_xt5000t_alt2.jpg

853031001436_everex_stepnote_xt5000t_alt3.jpg

853031001436_everex_stepnote_xt5000t_alt4.jpg

zumzumzoom03 said:
How much does OfficeMax have this listed for?
I keep forgetting this detail. They want $899 ish. $150 for the extra 1gb ram.

Well if you are looking for something portable 17" screen is not the best. That laptop will be huge. If you are planning on keeping it on a desk and not taking it too many places than this will do fine. I would also check out Dell. There laptops are really cheap lately and have packed with features. They have a 15" laptop that is equivalent to this setup for $549 It also has a 9cell battery which helps with running it longer. That is another thing the bigger the screen the less the battery will last. Here are some of the Dell deals.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/hot_offers_nb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Also check out www.gotapex.com They have the latest deals from Dell and sometimes HP. Goodluck!

hm.. good idea. I just built this using that link you sent.

Inspiron 1501 Qty 1
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0GHz/1MB), Genuine Windows XP Home Unit Price $1,244.00
Battery life of up to 5.5 hours
Battery

$320 OFF select Inspiron 1501 Notebooks through Dell Small Business!
Special offer
- $320.00
Catalog Number: 4 BNDWHXC
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2.0GHz/1MB)
OPERATING SYSTEM(s) Genuine Windows XP Home
LCD panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife(glossy)
MEMORY 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory (Integrated)
HARD DRIVES 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.08
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Card Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription (Norton 30-day)
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Carrying Cases SWISSGEAR MAXXUM-COMPUTER BACKPACK

thats' not bad at all for what you get, but the brand is the only thing. it seems to be a great machine, x2 dual core, 2 gigs memory, dedicated 256 video memory, dual layer recorder

never mind, I just saw your post about the dell... better price with more memory and a better brand.(headbang)

Last edited:
mazpro said:
thats' not bad at all for what you get, but the brand is the only thing. it seems to be a great machine, x2 dual core, 2 gigs memory, dedicated 256 video memory, dual layer recorder

never mind, I just saw your post about the dell... better price with more memory and a better brand.(headbang)
actually the video card on the dell isnt as good. same amount of ram.

yeah, but you are paying extra for the memory on the other one.

as long as the video memory is not shared, you should be fine to run most games and apps. I mean I can run GTA SA on an integrated intel video card with shared memory...

I got a Dell XPS laptop for Christmas with the integrated video, most games wouldn't load... I had to return it and buy a new one with upgraded video.

if you order the dell upgrade the video card

Don't do it.. Paying $1K for an off brand laptop is nutzo.

and like whomever it was said.. THe last thing a 17" notebook is... is portable

dell usually puts in garbage video cards despite the upgrade options.

however, if you aren't using your laptop for hardcore gaming, you won't notice a darn thing.

go with the dell :)

im on my new Everex. Bought the extra 1gig of ram. System runs flawlessly so far. I can run WoW at max settings with no lag at all.

Also bought a nice logitech laser mouse to go with it. :)

pretty nice so far. Its getting kinda hot though if I turn the power settings on Performance mode. I need to buy one of those laptop fan bases.

Thanks for your help/opinions everything. (group)

What are you planning on using it for? Gaming, multimedia creation, media center...

That will give me a better idea what you want to build for yourself.

I just got a laptop a few months back. It is 17" glossy and 1920x1200 resolution. It won't fit on your lap, and if you try it will burn your junior nutari off so quick.

If you can find a gpu with 512MB ram it may be a good idea to get that instead of 256MB if you are running Vista. Laptops are a b**** to upgrade and you know you will need to do it at some time if you want to own it for more than 3 years.

Putting in an extra $80 when you buy is better than paying more to have it upgraded later. 2 gig of ram is great.

All depends on what you need it for, as has been said a lot. =) When you're getting a laptop, there are a lot of factors to consider which you wouldn't necessarily need to for a desktop. The most important of these in my opinion are battery life, size, weight, and noise. The battery life and noise depend a lot on the processor/video card, so sometimes it's not best to go with the most powerful one you can get. I'd suggest getting a Core 2 Duo cpu because its power consumption/heat output is low compared to Turion, and it puts out more performance with less clocks too.

I just got a laptop for $700 Canadian, and it's not exactly powerful but it suits my needs pretty well.

Acer 5570
14" widescreen
1.6ghz core duo
1gb ram
160gb hard drive

ya, my preference would be a core 2 cpu, some mobile geforce variant for the gpu, 2gb of ram, and a sata drive.

besides, in a laptop, size is key. nothing above 15". anything bigger breaches on obnoxious (and screams "get a desktop, instead").

Back