Kicker Competition Freeair 6.5

d0sitmatr

long time mazda owner
:
2003 Protege5
has anyone ever used these ?
can they handle a 2ohm setup (website doesnt say)

I was thinking of using these as midbass drivers in the rear doors of the p5, but also thought if they can provide enough decent bass with a 200w mono-D amp Id use them in tandem with a stealth box.

any info would be greatly appreciated, but hands on exp would be best.

also, Im not looking for earth shattering bass, just some filler bass so I can use the front and rear speakers for mids/highs. (running components in both at the moment)

another idea had occurred to me about my front door cards
in back of the arm rest/handle pull there is a moderately sized square portion that only has a piece of foam attached inside (easily removable) I was thinking of putting a 4"-5.25" speaker in that spot and turning the front doors into a 3 way component.
has anyone done this and if so, how did it sound ?
if not, give me your opinions on how it would sound

thanks

ok, so not a lot of replies...
guess they might not be what Im looking for anyways.

so now, I would like your opinions about these two 8" subs and which one would be best:

KICKER CVT8 CAR 8 INCH SHALLOW MOUNT
Rockford Fosgate P1S48 Punch Stage 1

even though their specs are very similar, Im leaning more towards the Punch, but as Ive not used either of those brands/models before...
I used JBL subs in my builds in the past, not really sure why, just they seemed to be easier to get my hands on at a decent price, but I think Id like to try something new this time around.

Im planning on building a stealth box in the rear of my P5, but Im considering putting it on the opposite side most do, to gain a little more space if I need it, and they will be pushed by a mono-block Amp with a rms of 200 and a peak of 400.

Last edited:
someone please help me out, Im having an incredibly difficult time deciding which of those subs would work best in the stealth box Im planning !
Ive read so much garbage from google that my brain feels melted...

LOL
gotta love opening boxes that you forgot about !

just opened a storage bin that has been up in the attic for close to 3 yrs and found a JBL 10" that I had got for a box to put in my old Talon (sold it before it happened) as well as 3x6.5" DVC subs (cant recall the brand) rated at 150w each @ 4 OHM, as well as a pretty old (mid 90's Kenwood sub box with an 8" sub in it, only rated at 100w nominal, but it still works !
so now, I can find out which is going to be the best for the stealthbox Im looking to build.

build log thread coming soon :p

It sounds like you've talked yourself out of both subs but I just wanted to add, the "Freeair" subs are designed for open baffle. In laymans terms this mean the sub works best without an enclosure. They'd be perfect for the rear deck of a sedan or the rear doors. They would not work well installed in a sealed box.

Also, with your attic finds, I would hook them up to a home stereo and let them run for a while. If they have foam surrounds, they could be dried out and when the sub starts working they could break apart. If it is going to happen, I think it would be best to let it happen before you have spent hours building a box for them.

yea, I was really considering those free air subs specifically for the reasons you posted, but after doing some research and finding out they arent as good as I would have liked I decided against them. also found that all the subs in the storage, the only questionable one would have been the kendwood, the jbl and the unknown brand subs are only 2 yrs old, all of them worked great, I actually just made a juririgged box from some cardboard and tried the 10 out, then the 3x6.5's, all sounded good (even being in a cardboard box.. :p)
at the moment, Im using the kenwood sub as its already in a box and it hits decent, but not great, does help hit those lows though, that the door speakers simply cant.

anyways, all that aside, I had thrown a bid up on a Kicker VR DVC 10 and forgot about it, then found out last night when I checked my email I won, for $16.50 !
granted, its a 4 yr old sub (manu date was 2007) but at the price Im not going to complain too much, and it works in a 2OHM state, my amp can reach 600w @ 2OHM with 350w RMS. sounds like a pretty good match to me :D
so looks like Im building a stealth box for a 10" instead of the 8" I was planning (or 3x6.5's)

Back