Key fob battery life - battery never dies!

"Thankfully you'll be dead by then"?

You don't think that you'll be around in 20 to 30 more years? I plan on being around for 40 to 50 more years myself!

I'm retired and my plan is to live long enough so that I'm retired longer than I have worked in my life. I retired when I was 55 and I worked for ~40 years so as long as I live past 95 I'm good! I'm aiming for 105.
I hear ya. I too retired at 55, with no regrets, but I doubt I'll be around in another 20-30 years.
Getting personal for a second here, but I'm in my 70's now, but as soon as I hit my 60's, stuff started to go wrong.
Prostate cancer at 61 for starters. I managed to survive that one, so far.
A few years later I suffered rapid severe hearing loss. I'm down to 20% now.
Then had open heart surgery at 65 to repair a bad mitral valve. Made it through that too, but I still get irregular heartbeat consistently. No cure for that.
My wife is also having problems now. She was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier in the year, and is undergoing treatments as I write. Things are looking up for her, so that's the good news.
Goodness knows what comes next, but I'm not looking forward to it, whatever it may be.

I hear ya. I too retired at 55, with no regrets, but I doubt I'll be around in another 20-30 years.
Getting personal for a second here, but I'm in my 70's now, but as soon as I hit my 60's, stuff started to go wrong.
Prostate cancer at 61 for starters. I managed to survive that one, so far.
A few years later I suffered rapid severe hearing loss. I'm down to 20% now.
Then had open heart surgery at 65 to repair a bad mitral valve. Made it through that too, but I still get irregular heartbeat consistently. No cure for that.
My wife is also having problems now. She was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier in the year, and is undergoing treatments as I write. Things are looking up for her, so that's the good news.
Goodness knows what comes next, but I'm not looking forward to it, whatever it may be.
I'm very sorry to hear of yours and your wife's heath issues. Good luck to the both of you.

Both my wife and I are VERY lucky in that regard. Other than moderate sleep apnea (I sleep with a CPAP) I have zero health issues and my wife has a minor issue with blood cholesterol for which she takes meds.

So, 105 is looking doable. (knocks on wood)

Last edited:
New name: Buzzkill12. LOL j/k bro. Glad you're doing OK at the moment! Wouldn't be the same place without you around here.

I replaced it with a 2032, so I'm guessing it will last at least 3 more years.
I find my battery in my fob dying quickly. I've replaced it twice in the same year. Sucks.

Replaced mine today after getting annoyed by the warning message. The manual calls for a CR2025, but as Sig cx-5 has found, the slightly thicker CR2032 easily fits. The difference being 170mAh (2025) vs 240mAh (2032) which is an easy way to install 40% more capacity in your key fob. While that doesn't directly correlate to a 40% longer life, those that are changing batteries more often than they prefer should find installing a CR2032 beneficial.

Replaced mine today after getting annoyed by the warning message. The manual calls for a CR2025, but as Sig cx-5 has found, the slightly thicker CR2032 easily fits. The difference being 170mAh (2025) vs 240mAh (2032) which is an easy way to install 40% more capacity in your key fob. While that doesn't directly correlate to a 40% longer life, those that are changing batteries more often than they prefer should find installing a CR2032 beneficial.
What I did, is I gently bent the pins upwards to make a tighter fit, but I will try a 2032 battery next time.

Back