Just got a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege, want to know the tips and tricks

I just purchased a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege in yellow, has 169k miles. Is there any certain tricks to these cars as far as driving them? I've read online that the computer isn't really tuned for them quite right and they run super lean. Just don't want to burn a hole in my piston lol. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240102_134924.jpg
    20240102_134924.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240102_134942.jpg
    20240102_134942.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240106_165759.jpg
    20240106_165759.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 35
The only trick is to drive is responsibly! Warm up the engine properly, don't be going WOT repeatedly, or getting too close to the redline often, and you'll be fine.

Try to "roll" into the throttle smoothly and gradually to spool the turbo up as you accelerate.

How bad is the lean condition? I got my car with an injen cai on it and I want to do exhaust work eventually, but the tuner I found is over $1k and I'm broke lol.

In stock form you should be fine. Since you're doing exhaust work install a Wideband AFR gauge. Mine isn't running lean and I have the injen CAI, upgraded SMIC, 3" DP + exhaust, upgraded exhaust mani. No tune runs great, love the MSP ;)

Awesome, not sure what all is going on with mine. Somebody had started to do stuff to it then it got repoed. Makes me nervous to work on it because Im not used to turbos and all that, I'm just a motorcycle mechanic lol. It has oil leaking which I believe is from the power steering pump, but there is oil on the turbo area too. Also how difficult is it to change the exhaust manifold, there is 2 bolts missing in mine already and the damn thing has a crack in it. Luckily there was a new manifold in the truck but its a china part so Ill see how that works out.

Actually, they ran too rich from the factory. If it's a stock engine, take it easy, treat the engine well, and you should have fun. The car's claim to fame was handling, not so much it's power.

I just purchased a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege in yellow, has 169k miles. Is there any certain tricks to these cars as far as driving them? I've read online that the computer isn't really tuned for them quite right and they run super lean. Just don't want to burn a hole in my piston lol. Any help is appreciated.
Awesome! Yellow isn't my color, but love seeing colors from MSP pallette. What's the back story on where you bought it?

I'd focus mostly on baselining the car:
Fresh oil/filter
Clean fuel system (I also ran a few tanks of $7/Gal non-ethanol and the car loves it)
Replace plugs + wires (NGK 6441 ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium)
Brake pads/discs/Fluid
Replace battery with AGM type
Inspect all 4 motor mounts. Use AWR front poly and OEM for the other 3
Inspect intake tube for cracks
Consider an injector cleaning - about $120

Really the only turbo exhaust manifold is the Pope Engineering and they're only produced in batches occasionally. You can find them used though. The stock ones are prone to cracks. I think mine is as well. It isn't difficult to remove, but lots of stuff needs to come off. It's a great time to make sure hoses get replaced and clamps fitted properly though.

My front motor mount is currently not worth a s*** lol. I live in Iowa and I only run 91 from bp in my car as well as my motorcycles, and yes my manifold is cracked and Im missing 2 screws on the passenger side of the manifold, the car had a $200 ebay mani with it that I'm going to install but I have to get all the stuff to do the job. Gaskets, hardware, etc.

Attachments

• 20240127_151249.jpg
    20240127_151249.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 23
Back