Is it hard installing a Pioneer Head Unit? If so, should i just pay Circuit City to.

WayneTeK

I just bought a
pioneerdehp7200.jpg

Pioneer Deh-7200 and I dont' know if i should pay somebody to install it for me or try it myself with my friend (who is pretty good with installation of car audio, but never tried it on a mazda).

Does anybody have any installation guides for car audio installation?

Please..?

never pay those assclowns to do anything. do it yourself. its not hard. just make sure this model comes with the flux compaciter and you hook it up to your nipples before you hook the battery back up

the hardest part is removing....
the wiring is a hell of a lot easier if you get a wiring harness for your model, or get open plugs... anyway the easiest way is like that... i have done 3 mazda installs now, am i a pro yet?? first (mine) took about 2 hours, wasn't a great job, is fixed now, but i cut wires.... 2nd took 1/2 hour, and the last one took less than 10 minutes... my gf got scared (was her car) at how fast it could be done!!!

The stock radio is a little tricky to get out if you don't know how and I've read horror stories on here about Circuit City and Best Buy installers damaging the dashboard by prying at it. The "stickies" in the audio section have instructions for making your own tools to pull the radio. That's what I followed and everything went fine. Buy a wiring harness and installation kit and you'll be all set. Oh, and if you get a flashlight and stick your head way down by the gas pedal you can look up at the backside of the radio and actually see the removal tool engage the tabs so you'll have a better feel for what your poking at. I'd also recommend taping off the silver trim around the radio so you don't scratch it with the tool or the radio itself when you pull it out. Good quality electrical tape is thick enough to protect everything and it won't leave a sticky mess when you remove it. I use the Scotch Super 88.

do it yourself and be proud of your accomplishment!! and save some coin!!

mtnbiker26 said:
The stock radio is a little tricky to get out if you don't know how and I've read horror stories on here about Circuit City and Best Buy installers damaging the dashboard by prying at it. The "stickies" in the audio section have instructions for making your own tools to pull the radio. That's what I followed and everything went fine. Buy a wiring harness and installation kit and you'll be all set. Oh, and if you get a flashlight and stick your head way down by the gas pedal you can look up at the backside of the radio and actually see the removal tool engage the tabs so you'll have a better feel for what your poking at. I'd also recommend taping off the silver trim around the radio so you don't scratch it with the tool or the radio itself when you pull it out. Good quality electrical tape is thick enough to protect everything and it won't leave a sticky mess when you remove it. I use the Scotch Super 88.

geeze.. easier said than done... ;-)

About this installation kit, does it come with special tools or something to pry it open?

BTW, how the heck do you get that plastic cover off?

you dont, look at the sides of the radio, there are two strips you remove (just vertical plugs) then you put the tools in and its a pita to get them to engage fully sometimes. But like the other member said, tape off the silver trim. If you dont you WILL scratch it and be pissed. I have two little scratch marks on mine.
I used a pocket from a mustang. You can get an install kit, or buy a pocket from mazda for the MP3/MSP. Try www.mazdastuff.com (listed on the front page for 99-03's) for the pocket. And the harness can be had from http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/mazda.asp the part number is a ma03. They also have a install kit. its located here- http://www.scosche.com/scosche/installation/kits/MA1537.asp

You have to order the harness seperate. Call them to order.

Last edited:
If you order a head unit directly from http://www.crutchfield.com they send you the wiring harness, vehicle specific install instructions, and I even believe the radio removal tools. If they're not included you can buy them from them cheap. They also have really great customer service. They will actually walk you through the entire install process if need be.

Crutchfield Revisited

I'm surprised that Cruthfield is not mentioned more often on this site. I understand that they only carry "mid-level" electronics but that is a perfect match for many of the members of this site and their install skill level it seems. I recently installed an existing HU, sub, amp from a prior install in my MP5 and just needed the kit, harness, and DIN tools. They can be ordered individually w/o purchasing an electronics whatsoever. The whole thing came to about $43 including shipping (1-2 days in the Northeast).

BTW: Contrary to many opinions - I didn't have a problem removing the stock HU with the tools (we need a pic of the tools inserted correctly for everyone).

-----------------------------------

Signatures make Baby Jesus cry...

Some of their products are Mid-line, but they do carry some nice stuff. You can find top of the line head units there.

C City should pay you for bringing your car to them. I would never let them or Best Buy install anything in my car.

The only reason I beileve Crutchfield is not mentioned as much is because their prices are MSRP and all items they sell can be had for less online elsewhere. I will agree that their customer Service is top-notch, even if they don't listen to us and update their fitment guides.

Back