Is Coasting BAD for the Engine and Long Term Reliability (?)

EconoBox

:
2012 Mazda Mazda2 Touring MT
So I get awesome fuel economy, but I also do a fair amount of coasting down hills, to off ramps, to stop lights and signs, and into my driveway. My question is if I'm coasting down a long stretch of steep decline highway, and I throw the car back into 5th gear while coasting at 50-60 because there's a car behind me, does this hurt the engine?

its better to coast in gear, than it is to put into neutral. when you coast in gear, the ECU will cut the fuel supply.

But you lose speed much more quickly as the engine brakes on its own.

True but it is still better to just keep it in gear because pulling it out of gear and coasting the injectors are still open at the idle speed, when you coast in gear the fuel is cut-off... Coming up to a stoplight this will also help your brakes out because the drive line is connected helping you stop. (engine brake)

True but it is still better to just keep it in gear because pulling it out of gear and coasting the injectors are still open at the idle speed, when you coast in gear the fuel is cut-off... Coming up to a stoplight this will also help your brakes out because the drive line is connected helping you stop. (engine brake)

Brakes are cheaper than engine work.

(band2)

seriously, you're not gaining anything by pulling it out of gear. i've never pulled my car out of gear to coast, on ANY car i've owned, and never had an issue because of it.

Why is coasting in gear any different than any other normal driving situation? Your engine is still spinning when coasting out of gear only it has to burn fuel to keep it going.

I just don't see how it could be detrimental I guess.

No, but coasting in gear taxes the engine and extra wear and tear. Not saying that coasting in gear will directly harm an engine.

there is absolutely NO WAY coasting in gear is worse for the engine then, i don't know, actually DRIVING the car.

Yeah.... no biggie either way. Coast in gear- that's what you're supposed to do anyway when driving stick.

there is absolutely NO WAY coasting in gear is worse for the engine then, i don't know, actually DRIVING the car.

Are you saying that there is an equal amount of stress on an engine going 60 mph in 5th gear and an engine in a car coasting in gear and slowing down?

I would ask, is leaving it in gear better while coasting or coasting in neutral then putting it back into gear when having to get back on the gas again while the transmission is spinning at highway speed?

Are you saying that there is an equal amount of stress on an engine going 60 mph in 5th gear and an engine in a car coasting in gear and slowing down?

i'm saying your reasoning for taking the car out of gear to coast is not sound. you put more stress on the engine getting up to speed, than you would save by taking the car out of gear to coast. but, whatever. not my car.

Should be no effect on long term reliability. You'll use a little more gas though vs keeping it in a high gear.

i'm saying your reasoning for taking the car out of gear to coast is not sound. you put more stress on the engine getting up to speed, than you would save by taking the car out of gear to coast. but, whatever. not my car.

I was just asking a question. No need to be all offended and emotional.

iI coast out of gear on the hwy while going down hill. I WILL TRY with leaving it in gear. see if my mpgs improve.

I don't really understand the point of arguing back and forth without providing hard data. The bottom line is that where you are driving is a much more important factor in determining whether to coast in or out of gear. My area is chock full of long, gradual declines; so for me it's better to coast out of gear to maintain speed. There is simply no way to maintain a reasonable speed in gear. Does coasting in gear cut the injectors off? Yes. But until someone take 2 identical trips using one method and then the other, and then compares the data, it's up to personal preference.

As far as getting to an answer for the OP's original question: There shouldn't be a wear issue on the motor from popping back into 5th at speed. You're not jumping in RPMs any more than you would be from a dead stop, and there is less load at speed, so short of the normal wear-and-tear on the clutch, you're good.

Engine brake all day every day. I'll blip it and row down the gears sometimes when I'm really bored.

Back